PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

Also, for those planning a WI golf trip, this place seems cool. How can you beat Spotted Cow and free ice cream on the course? 

https://golf.com/travel/golf-destination-wisconsin-sentryworld/

Don’t know how it ranks now but back in the 70’s, Point beer from Stevens Point was ranked as one of the best in America!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Don’t know how it ranks now but back in the 70’s, Point beer from Stevens Point was ranked as one of the best in America!

I've had the Special Lager...been some time ago... Back when I was in Chicagoland and that was 10 years ago...

It was quite tasty from what I remember... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Seven Bridges....wow. Talk about 2 different courses if memory serves. Front was your standard test...but the back ate me up iirc. Beautiful clubhouse/dining,etc....

I lost a half dozen balls on that back nine... The greens were among the toughest I've played on. I'm used to flatter ones!

• Like 2

Shane Lowry speaks out.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/the-money-in-golf-is-absolutely-disgusting-shane-lowry/ar-AA11Sn7H?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ff539a7c943b4c62a267549a9e8b0d48

The Irishman, talking to the No Laying Up podcast, revealed he didn’t even know how much he won for holding off the challenges from the likes of Rory McIlroy and Jon Rahm to win the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth last week. He feels top golfers need to focus on what is right “for golf, not what’s right for us” despite the temptation of the massive sums being bandied about by LIV Golf.

“When I looked at the trophy at Wentworth and I saw the names on the trophy, it’s the who’s who of European golf. It’s incredible my name gets to go on that, I don’t care how much money I won. When I had a few drinks on Sunday night, someone asked me ‘how much money did you win today?’ and honestly I have no idea. They wouldn’t believe me but I had no idea. I had to go to a text from the European Tour to check how much I won.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Shane Lowry speaks out.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/the-money-in-golf-is-absolutely-disgusting-shane-lowry/ar-AA11Sn7H?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ff539a7c943b4c62a267549a9e8b0d48

The Irishman, talking to the No Laying Up podcast, revealed he didn’t even know how much he won for holding off the challenges from the likes of Rory McIlroy and Jon Rahm to win the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth last week. He feels top golfers need to focus on what is right “for golf, not what’s right for us” despite the temptation of the massive sums being bandied about by LIV Golf.

“When I looked at the trophy at Wentworth and I saw the names on the trophy, it’s the who’s who of European golf. It’s incredible my name gets to go on that, I don’t care how much money I won. When I had a few drinks on Sunday night, someone asked me ‘how much money did you win today?’ and honestly I have no idea. They wouldn’t believe me but I had no idea. I had to go to a text from the European Tour to check how much I won.

I have one word for this but going to let it go. I will just say, on every Sunday at every event where players sign their cards, there are payout sheets taped down every where. Almost every caddie asks for one. Payouts are on Mondays for Tour players, he wouldnt get that text until then. But he can lie, I mean make up any story he wants, if it fits.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It was a nice day yesterday, sunny and mid 70s. I got my second round of the year in. Parred the first hole. My friend, who is very good, got a bogey. I wanted to quit right then and there as it would have been my first time ever to beat him but he didn't go for that. I did birdie a par 4 as well so I have that to hang on to for the winter....

Maybe next year will be lessons and weekly golf? I'll get there eventually.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Reacher said:

It was a nice day yesterday, sunny and mid 70s. I got my second round of the year in. Parred the first hole. My friend, who is very good, got a bogey. I wanted to quit right then and there as it would have been my first time ever to beat him but he didn't go for that. I did birdie a par 4 as well so I have that to hang on to for the winter....

Maybe next year will be lessons and weekly golf? I'll get there eventually.

Always good to start off with a par! 

• Like 2

@Indykev I’ve got a golf question for you.

You’ve caddied for Major winners and have seen a lot of pros and amateur golfers. What would an average mid handicap amateur (say 10-15 index) shoot on an average Tour setup course? Not like US Open conditions, just a regular tournament.

I am guessing well over 100 and think even a scratch amateur would struggle to break 90. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

What would an average mid handicap amateur (say 10-15 index) shoot on an average Tour setup course? Not like US Open conditions, just a regular tournament.

Not an answer to your question, just a quick story.

At a Wisconsin basketball game, years ago.  Halftime in the old barn.  Pro golfer Steve Stricker put on a fun show.  They set up a fake-grass tee box at center court, then passed a peach basket around in the crowd.  People held it up as a target.  Not front row stuff.  The basket went 30 rows up or more.

He chipped in 18 of his 20 shots into the basket.  All in different locations, different distances and angles.  

He did it for a lark.  Just goofing around.

It brought home just how much more talented these guys are than regular players. 

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Not an answer to your question, just a quick story.

At a Wisconsin basketball game, years ago.  Halftime in the old barn.  Pro golfer Steve Stricker put on a fun show.  They set up a fake-grass tee box at center court, then passed a peach basket around in the crowd.  People held it up as a target.  Not front row stuff.  The basket went 30 rows up or more.

He chipped in 18 of his 20 shots into the basket.  All in different locations, different distances and angles.  

He did it for a lark.  Just goofing around.

It brought home just how much more talented these guys are than regular players. 

I remember a video of Sorenstam hitting irons with her husband sitting in a lawn chair and a catchers mitt and a 5 gallon bucket. Dude did not to move

• Like 2

17 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

You’ve caddied for Major winners and have seen a lot of pros and amateur golfers. What would an average mid handicap amateur (say 10-15 index) shoot on an average Tour setup course? Not like US Open conditions, just a regular tournament.

I am guessing well over 100 and think even a scratch amateur would struggle to break 90. 

I recently shot a 3 over par.

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/6/2022 at 6:57 PM, KoB2011 said:

You are correct. They get the greens so hard amateur, even good ones dont compress the ball to get the spin they need to keep it on the greens. Harbour town in Hilton Head I've played 100 times or more. Back when I was a 2 or 3 I only broke 90 once the week after the tournament.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

You are correct. They get the greens so hard amateur, even good ones dont compress the ball to get the spin they need to keep it on the greens. Harbour town in Hilton Head I've played 100 times or more. Back when I was a 2 or 3 I only broke 90 once the week after the tournament.

That’s amazing. And you’d obviously understand course management and where to miss better than most amateurs playing a PGA course.

Id love to see them start letting amateurs play a tournament on PGA conditions the week after a tournament. Would be fun to see some scratch guys get their ass kicked a couple times per year. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That’s amazing. And you’d obviously understand course management and where to miss better than most amateurs playing a PGA course.

Id love to see them start letting amateurs play a tournament on PGA conditions the week after a tournament. Would be fun to see some scratch guys get their ass kicked a couple times per year. 

There was a guy named Kevin King who sold homes in Hilton Head.. I played with him when he shot 59 and a couple 63's. They gave him a spot in Hilton Head one year. He shot 84, 87.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Indykev said:

There was a guy named Kevin King who sold homes in Hilton Head.. I played with him when he shot 59 and a couple 63's. They gave him a spot in Hilton Head one year. He shot 84, 87.

So a 20+ stroke difference for a really, really good amateur. Average amateur is probably double that difference from their normal score IMO. 

• Like 2

On 10/8/2022 at 12:07 PM, Indykev said:

Wow! No where near that good when I actively played so when I played especially during the summer when greens burnt out and wouldn’t hold I would purposely lay up short and let it roll onto the green or do my best to leave it short of the green and play my short chip game to get up and down…and that’s on courses no where near as difficult.
Obviously not every green you could do that and keep the ball below the hole or out of bunker but I just knew my limitations and tried to play within them. Even if it meant hitting an iron or 3 wood off the tee i would do do my best to just keep it straight and in the fairway. It didn’t always look pretty but I tried to eliminate the big number. There were usually 4-5 holes a round that I might attack if it set up well for my shot but mostly I got good hitting a few clubs and practiced a lot around the greens. I imagine good golfers might get too arrogant thinking of how they dominate their local coarse and not be willing to change their game. Playing on tournament conditions I imagine would be so difficult it would render out any enjoyment from the game imo.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...