The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, IUskim said:

Did you guys see that Carton is taking a leave of absence from the team to focus on his mental health? I wonder how many on here would call him soft for that? Since last night people seem to think Jerome was soft for not playing because he was sick. 

I think he is smart, not soft, for realizing that his mental health is more important than things that will pass away, like basketball.

1 minute ago, hoosierfan615 said:

I think he is smart, not soft, for realizing that his mental health is more important than things that will pass away, like basketball.

Oh no as do I.  I was just pointing out that some have a mindset that unless you’re dead you should be playing. 

28 minutes ago, IUskim said:

Did you guys see that Carton is taking a leave of absence from the team to focus on his mental health? I wonder how many on here would call him soft for that? Since last night people seem to think Jerome was soft for not playing because he was sick. 

I just saw that on Twitter and responded to his tweet. I’ll be thinking of and praying for him. Very courageous of him as I imagine it had to be hard to step away from his team, as well as going public with why. Just really hope he gets good help and gets better.

JaQuan Lyle has been suspended for two games. Two people were shot at a party he hosted. They suffered non life threatening wounds. He had  missed the previous two games with an injury,  I believe. They got blown out at home as San Diego State remained unbeaten.

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

JaQuan Lyle has been suspended for two games. Two people were shot at a party he hosted. They suffered non life threatening wounds. He had  missed the previous two games with an injury,  I believe. They got blown out at home as San Diego State remained unbeaten.

Nothing new for Lyle or the Lobos.

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

Wow.....some stuff will never change.

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

Really??

Absolutely, assuming there hasn’t been something serious like a death in the family or something similar.  If that’s the case, then I’ll have to apologize.

But all the grandstanding about “mental health” in our society is so ridiculous.  Backing out of a commitment and withdrawing from a difficult situation when you don’t feel great is a sign of weakness, not strength.  It takes mental toughness to deal with personal issues without letting it affect your responsibilities.  And that applies in any context, not just college basketball.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Absolutely, assuming there hasn’t been something serious like a death in the family or something similar.  If that’s the case, then I’ll have to apologize.

But all the grandstanding about “mental health” in our society is so ridiculous.  Backing out of a commitment and withdrawing from a difficult situation when you don’t feel great is a sign of weakness, not strength.  It takes mental toughness to deal with personal issues without letting it affect your responsibilities.  And that applies in any context, not just college basketball.

You clearly haven't dealt with mental health issues. It isn't so simple. 

22 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It's the stigma that statements like this that cause people not to seek help. Kind of appalled at the lack of sensitivity or knowledge in your post

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You have no clue what you are talking about.  Do you have people at work that the only thing they do is criticize your work and then go to social media to call you out.  It is so easy sitting behind a keyboard and be Mr. Tough man but to me we are the weak one because we are really trying to live our lives through players who we don't really know.

I get that the pile on will continue because this is the society in which we live, but I stand by it.  You think the kids that were drafted into WWII or Vietnam didn’t have anxiety/depression?  You think the millions of people in this country living paycheck to paycheck, working long hours at difficult jobs to support a family, wake up every morning in a great headspace?  Abandoning your responsibilities and people that depend on you to deal with your “mental health” is a privilege afforded to very few.  Go to therapy, get medication, whatever someone needs to do, I’m all for it.  But it takes mental toughness to deal with those issues and not let it derail the rest of your life.  Some people have that mental toughness, and some people don’t.  For some reason we’ve decided as a society that we want to glorify the people that don’t, and I’ll never understand it.

25 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I get that the pile on will continue because this is the society in which we live, but I stand by it.  You think the kids that were drafted into WWII or Vietnam didn’t have anxiety/depression?  You think the millions of people in this country living paycheck to paycheck, working long hours at difficult jobs to support a family, wake up every morning in a great headspace?  Abandoning your responsibilities and people that depend on you to deal with your “mental health” is a privilege afforded to very few.  Go to therapy, get medication, whatever someone needs to do, I’m all for it.  But it takes mental toughness to deal with those issues and not let it derail the rest of your life.  Some people have that mental toughness, and some people don’t.  For some reason we’ve decided as a society that we want to glorify the people that don’t, and I’ll never understand it.

Of course it takes mental toughness and how many have dealt with it by abusing illegal drugs. Or harming themselves or others. If he had mental toughness  in what you call it, he probably would not need to step away to deal with mental health Asking for help is not a sign of weakness not asking or closed mindedness is IMO.

I am as old school as they come besides Scott and I think your line of thinking is very archaic 

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You are right that it takes mental toughness to deal with mental health and millions of people do deal with it and push through every day.  Doesnt mean mental health isn't a problem.

What responsibilities does this kid have that he his giving up on and derailing the rest of his life?  He is taking a break from a college sport. Something ultimatly unimportant.

Archived