The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

53 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And one I hope that doesn't end up being true.

Did some digging. Maybe something happened recently or maybe this has been piling up for a long time but he got to see many former friends, coaches and family last weekend when Ohio St played at Northwestern. Maybe he realized how isolated he feels at Ohio St and wants to be around those people closer to home??

He could go to Iowa, they love to run and gun.  Or Georgia, lol

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

You should get the pile on. 

Not one person here knows the depth and reality of his personal situation.  To assume it's because he can't handle twittelers is lame.  

No more lame than assuming he’s bi-polar and suicidal like everyone else here is doing with 0 indication that’s the case.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

No more lame than assuming he’s bi-polar and suicidal like everyone else here is doing with 0 indication that’s the case.

I for one am not assuming anything. Just trying to explain there is alot more to mental health than being weak. Calling people with problems weak is incredibly lame. 

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

I for one am not assuming anything. Just trying to explain there is alot more to mental health than being weak. Calling people with problems weak is incredibly lame. 

Correct

While growing up, boys learn what it means to “be a man.” Unfortunately, some of these “manly” teachings can be downright harmful like “big boys don’t cry,” “suck it up,” “tough it out,” and more.  Most boys are taught to ignore or dismiss their feelings—internalizing vulnerability and asking for help as weakness. Boys then grow into men, without ever being in touch with their emotions or knowing how to identify or describe what’s bothering them.

For these reasons, many men find depression a difficult topic to discuss. They feel ashamed that they need help and are too embarrassed to ask for it.

Starting the conversation is the first step towards recovery. For many men who have overcome depression, the turning point came when they reached out to a friend or family member for support. It’s usually something they wished they had done sooner rather than later.

https://www.nami.org/Blogs/NAMI-Blog/April-2017/Depression-is-an-Illness-Not-a-Weakness

I actually think all of us on this board has some emotional problem with how we act especially after a loss.  What person in their right mind would come on her and blast players and coaches over a team losing a ball game.  We all seem to put way to much emotion into a game where we have no influence on the outcome and that an outcome of the game is not really that big of a deal.

thinking about it more I ma surprised we don't see more like Carton who maybe just get emotionally stressed or burnt out.  Think about it because these kids at an young age is playing basketball pretty much year around thinking about getting a scholarship.  They just don't ever just get out and enjoy themselves and just be a kid like normal kids.  They just don't go out and play basketball with their friends in someone's back yard like we did growing up.

15 minutes ago, rico said:

Why are you so adamant on this topic?  What strikes a nerve with you?  

The rush to anoint someone as a hero for giving up on something “to focus on their mental health” or “do what feels right to them” has always annoyed me.  Of course anyone has the right to live their life the way they want, and like I’ve said numerous times, no one should feel ashamed for seeking out help.  But we should be praising the people who persevere through these issues, not the ones that give up.  It’s just another example of how soft our society is.

As someone who’s no stranger to this, there have been plenty of times where I would have loved to “take a break“ from the pressures of every day life to “focus on my mental health.”  But that’s not how I was raised, and I think my life’s better for it.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

thinking about it more I ma surprised we don't see more like Carton who maybe just get emotionally stressed or burnt out.  Think about it because these kids at an young age is playing basketball pretty much year around thinking about getting a scholarship.  They just don't ever just get out and enjoy themselves and just be a kid like normal kids.  They just don't go out and play basketball with their friends in someone's back yard like we did growing up.

Kobe King?

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The rush to anoint someone as a hero for giving up on something “to focus on their mental health” or “do what feels right to them” has always annoyed me.  Of course anyone has the right to live their life the way they want, and like I’ve said numerous times, no one should feel ashamed for seeking out help.  But we should be praising the people who persevere through these issues, not the ones that give up.  It’s just another example of how soft our society is.

As someone who’s no stranger to this, there have been plenty of times where I would have loved to “take a break“ from the pressures of every day life to “focus on my mental health.”  But that’s not how I was raised, and I think my life’s better for it.

Fair enough.

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

But, is he asking for anointment? So why toss insults or criticisms to him? If he did nothing and just stepped away, the criticisms from individuals like yourself would rain down. He tried to be transparent, and many in the general public applauded this transparency of brekaing down the stigma around mental health. 

How would you feel if he WAS suicidal...and you were one of the individuals that lambasted him?

No, he may not be suicidal. He may not actually have mental health issues. He may actually "be soft." By why is that up to us to decide?

He has been "celebrated" simply because of the decision to go against the tide of people like you, who do criticize. 

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I get where you're coming from here, assuming your hypothesis is that kids are much more protected and coddled and are thus often ill-equipped to deal with adversity, people calling you names, etc.  The other side of the coin is what @13th&Jackson referenced...the failure to identify bona fide mental illness and chalk it up to a kid just being weak and soft.  I hate that we're becoming a society unwilling to raise kids to be mentally tougher and thus, everyone is offended at everything, but there's a fine line there and for Carton to quit a team where he is the 3rd leading scorer and a very important cog, I think it's fair to assume that his mental issue is significant.  Surely the kid loves the game and is having good success.  How bad does it have to be for him to step away?

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I get where you're coming from here, assuming your hypothesis is that kids are much more protected and coddled and are thus often ill-equipped to deal with adversity, people calling you names, etc.  The other side of the coin is what @13th&Jackson referenced...the failure to identify bona fide mental illness and chalk it up to a kid just being weak and soft.  I hate that we're becoming a society unwilling to raise kids to be mentally tougher and thus, everyone is offended at everything, but there's a fine line there and for Carton to quit a team where he is the 3rd leading scorer and a very important cog, I think it's fair to assume that his mental issue is significant.  Surely the kid loves the game and is having good success.  How bad does it have to be for him to step away?

Watching Assembly Call last night and Coach on the show talked about a podcast he heard with Izzo.  They brought up the topic about how to deal with kids especially after they play bad a lose.  They asked him if he just rips into them and really make practices brutal afterwards.  His response is that you can't really do this any longer because a lot of the kids just can't handle being criticized like you use to do.

This entire thread was derailed, but I think it is important that it did. While arguing with someone on the internet is a fruitless exercise, I have continued to chime in simply to make the "Mental Health is Important" voice a bit louder vs. changing one person's opinion. There very well may be someone on this board that is suffering from some sort of mental health concern. It's OK to accept that you may need outside help. It is absolutely equivalent to having a physical ailment, only it's more difficult to treat simply because people seem to be OK on the outside but suffer tremendously. The ostracizing and criticisms by others only perpetuate the "mental health is not normal" and that "you should just tough it out". 

Accepting help is the bet thing you can do...and you should do it. Nobody deserves to live unhappy...regardless of what others feel. 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Has us still as a 8 seed playing 9 seed St. Mary's

That has 12 B1G schools in(although Minny is tied with NC State for their 12 seed.  I can't see 12 being selected.   All 12 have 10 or so games left so plenty of time to secure a spot but in doing so you take out another team most likely.   

8 or 9 is probably where we end up if we can win 5 more.  Win 6 or 7 more and I could see maybe a 6 seed.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

10 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

That has 12 B1G schools in(although Minny is tied with NC State for their 12 seed.  I can't see 12 being selected.   All 12 have 10 or so games left so plenty of time to secure a spot but in doing so you take out another team most likely.   

8 or 9 is probably where we end up if we can win 5 more.  Win 6 or 7 more and I could see maybe a 6 seed.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Looking at a few projections gotten me to feel better about our chance to get in.  They have Minnesota and Purdue in with 10 losses so if we don't totally collapse and only win a game or two when should get in easily.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Has us still as a 8 seed playing 9 seed St. Mary's

49 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Looking at a few projections gotten me to feel better about our chance to get in.  They have Minnesota and Purdue in with 10 losses so if we don't totally collapse and only win a game or two when should get in easily.

MN and Purdue are both 11-10. WI is 12-9. MI is 12-8. OSU is 13-7. All remaining games are in conference, with head to head match-ups. In order for all of these teams to make the tourney, that would mean B1G NCAAT teams with overall records of 17-15 or possibly even 16-16. I just don't see the selection committee taking a 12th place team with a 17-15 or 16-16 record.

Personally, I'd much rather see them take a mid-major conference reg season champ that loses its conference tourney.

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

MN and Purdue are both 11-10. WI is 12-9. MI is 12-8. OSU is 13-7. All remaining games are in conference, with head to head match-ups. In order for all of these teams to make the tourney, that would mean B1G NCAAT teams with overall records of 17-15 or possibly even 16-16. I just don't see the selection committee taking a 12th place team with a 17-15 or 16-16 record.

Personally, I'd much rather see them take a mid-major conference reg season champ that loses its conference tourney.

ME TOO

Archived