Nebraska Postgame Thread

KDB

56 minutes ago, coachv said:

i agree that miller can get it done but believing being 10-1 is indicative of some amount of success is a misnomer. indiana wins the first 7 games easily if you or i were the head coach. nebraska, northwestern or nebraska would have been 7-0 against them. they just don't mean anything. we are 3-1 against power 5 and showing obvious weaknesses. at least miller is painfully aware of them. i have said it from day one, i don't think damezi is a good shooter. hope i turn out to be wrong or he changes the way he shoots. i am starting to think he can be a very good defender with his size and athleticism 

I agree on your overall point, though not so much on the Nebraska/NW point. Nebraska lost to UC Riverside, Southern Utah and George Mason, while NW lost to Merrimack and Radford. Those teams would have some losses with the first 7 in IU's schedule. 

But again to your larger point, winning those 7 games, while a good thing when you take into account some of the losses nationally that other Power 5 teams have, doesn't mean IU is playing really well. 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't have an answer and i am not saying anyone could do better.  Just saying i don't really like what IU has on the floor or the bench at this point 3 years later.  Its my opinion and it may  not fit what everyone else thinks but until they start playing good basketball again, i am not going to be happy with what i see.  And i am not advocating or asking anyone to believe what i think, but its an internet basketball so take it for whats it worth.  Don't agree with me, sounds good to me.  Agree with me, good for you.  in the end, no one cares what i think, its not going to change anyone mind, but it doesn't change the fact that i have little to zero patience anymore with Indiana basketball.  Again, just my opinion, personal.  Right or or, its mine and i will live with it 

Here's the underlying question behind the first question......is there a coach that would be a reasonably attainable hire that could meet your timeframe/level of patience?

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

Situation should have been flipped: let Rob inbound to Damezi.  I trust Rob's judgement on passes more than anyone else, and Anderson is a good free throw shooter himself.

And yes, Durham had already fouled out, otherwise he would have been the one inbounding (likely).

I don't think having Damezi inbounding is all that bad of a move.  He, Durham and Rob are the three best FT shooters on the team.  With Durham out, if Rob gets trapped, being able to kick it back to Damezi at least makes them foul a decent FT shooter.  Questionable call? OK.  Archie has made worse tactical decisions though. 

I see what you're saying, but I can't get onboard with Phinisee inbounding. I understand you need to get it in before anything else matters, but you need Phinisee receiving the inbound pass. He's the point guard. He's the best ball handler and decision maker and you want him shooting those free throws. If I remember correctly, Anderson inbounded late in the game vs. UConn and did a pretty good job. That probably built some trust with Archie, which is why he put Anderson there against Nebraska. 

But, you need Phinisee receiving the inbound pass IMO. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I see what you're saying, but I can't get onboard with Phinisee inbounding. I understand you need to get it in before anything else matters, but you need Phinisee receiving the inbound pass. He's the point guard. He's the best ball handler and decision maker and you want him shooting those free throws. If I remember correctly, Anderson inbounded late in the game vs. UConn and did a pretty good job. That probably built some trust with Archie, which is why he put Anderson there against Nebraska. 

And you're probably right.  I'm the definition of armchair quarterback point guard when it comes to basketball. 

56 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Here's the underlying question behind the first question......is there a coach that would be a reasonably attainable hire that could meet your timeframe/level of patience?

Honestly i wouldn't even have an issue with CAM if we got better year to year.  But it feels like the same team we had 3 years ago.  Turnovers, giving up 3 after 3 after 3.  Not calling time-outs at the right time, poor line-ups and substitutions.  Lack of recruiting shooters which we desperately need.  Coaches inability to adjust defensively or taking too long to adjust.  He just seems very set in the its his way or not mentality.  

And to answer your question, i honestly don't know.  But just because the sh!t sandwich i have is better than the sh!t sandwich i can exchange it for doesn't mean i am not tired of eating sh!t

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I agree. Also, when I saw the play, I didn't put all the blame on Damezi. It looked to me like Rob was pulling up just as Damezi threw it in. I think if Rob had kept going, that it was a pretty good bounce pass.

7 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Just saying i don't really like what IU has on the floor or the bench at this point 3 years later.  Its my opinion and it may  not fit what everyone else thinks but until they start playing good basketball again, i am not going to be happy with what i see. 

I agree to a point. I'm not crazy of what I see on the floor, but I think we have many of the right players. What we don't have, IMO, is the desire to play hard. I mean like Zach McRoberts hard, like there's no tomorrow. I viewed the video of Calbert's breaking the big ten scoring record, and to watch the intensity of play of that team to this one is almost depressing.

Archie needs to find a way to push the buttons to get this team to trust each other enough to play hard ALL the time. Minnesota was as intense as I've ever seen them last night. I just don't see the intensity from the team this year. I see some intensity of a few players, but not the team. Just my $.02.

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree, and it didn't happen once. If I remember correctly, Hunter got beat backdoor for layups 3 times in the game. It happened twice in the first half, pretty close together, and is why Hunter came out. I believe it also happened to him again in the second half.  

But this game followed the game in which Hunter contributed significantly defensively, as I recall we both, among others, noticed. The sweeping 'liability' on D thing is an overreaction to 1 game, but from the source you responded to, not surprising. 

48 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

But this game followed the game in which Hunter contributed significantly defensively, as I recall we both, among others, noticed. The sweeping 'liability' on D thing is an overreaction to 1 game, but from the source you responded to, not surprising. 

Agree. I didn't mean to join that chorus. I was just referring to this one game. Hunter was not good defensively against Nebraska and it directly led to a few easy baskets. Hunter was really good defensively against UConn. 

On 12/16/2019 at 12:14 PM, BGleas said:

Agree, and it didn't happen once. If I remember correctly, Hunter got beat backdoor for layups 3 times in the game. It happened twice in the first half, pretty close together, and is why Hunter came out. I believe it also happened to him again in the second half.  

he just got back cut an hour ago on the way to the bathroom

Archived