Nebraska Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

We lost badly to a subpart Wisconsin team.  Barely beat a crappy UConn team and squeaked out an OT won over a sh&try Nebraska team.  

I love TJD but I am really getting tired of this team and coach

Aaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahhahahahahahahahaha

Exactly why I dont post on the basketball board. This crap is ridiculous. 

You should be wildly embarrassed. 

16 minutes ago, GoshenFan84 said:

I'm about as optimistic as they come, but I've tempered my expectations. For a system that relies on smart and tough upperclassmen, it's hard to play well when your 2 seniors get benched. 

Edit: it looks like DG may have tweaked the hammy, not benched

IIRC the hammy was the previous injury as well.  Wonder if it is the same leg?  Back to 3 guards.  At least Rob is back and Demezi is really playing that 3 role nicely.  If that dude can just get hot from 3.  They look so good.  Maybe a tad touch more of arch and splash.  

Look, no one(and I’m sure this includes CAM and the team) is elated with how we played tonight. I think everyone in cream and crimson realizes that there are some glaringly bad things that need to be fixed. But that being said-it’s still a win. This team essentially has played 3 “real” games-Wisconsin, UCONN, and Nebraska. It’s completely foolish to write off this team or Archie when we are 10-1. Criticize? Sure. Be frustrated? Absolutely. But to give up hope is completely ridiculous.

I’m an Archie supporter, but I’m also fair and not a blind supporter. I thought Archie was bad tonight from a coaching perspective and it really concerns me for the rest of the year. It was absolutely plain as day early in the game that the big lineup was killing us on both ends. 

As we get into conference play, the coaches know IU and our personnel too well to keep running that lineup out there. Nebraska simply packed the paint leaving Smith, TJD, Brunk completely wide open when they were on the perimeter, and also sagging off Franklin when he was in and even Durham a bit. They packed the paint and basically made both our perimeter and interior offense non-existent. We can not continue, especially in conference play, to play big, it’s going to cost us games. 

TJD has no room to operate, Smith is ineffective on the wing, and our guards can’t get to the rim at all. It took Archie until 10 minutes left in the ga,e to figure this out and that’s when Smith started becoming effective around the foul line and in the paint, TJD finally had room to operate, and lanes opened for Phinisee. 

This is glaringly obvious to me. The coaches in conference that’s know IU’s personnel are going to do this to us all year. 

Also, defensively the big lineup killed us too. Nebraska was getting to the rim at will. 

Why the heck did we not foul at the end of regulation? Nebraska is a bad free throw shooting team and a bad rebounding team. Make them make 2 at the line, and even if they miss we should get the board, but don’t let a team get a 3off there. 

Finally, Justin Smith is excellent at the 4. He needs to stay there. 

I'm a bit nervous after having the losing streak last year but I just cant see that happening again. Got their ass kicked at Wisconsin but grinded out a couple tough wins when they could have given up. Still cautiously optimistic about the rest of the season.  

Its alot to ask but if rob stays healthy Rod and TJD will need to carry this team. 

A few positives.  

1. Rob ran 26 mins.  

2. Smith was doubling down on playing out of his style basketball taking 3s and fade away jumpers in the 1st half and completely went to what works for him in the 2nd.  I saw him many times down on the baseline hunting an angle.  Him on top of the perimeter is honestly when the offense is at its worst.  That's at least one adjustment for the adjustment folks.  

3.  Uh, well... it's a win.  Credit Rob, Armaan, Demezi, and Trayce. And 2nd half Smith 

4. Trayce deserves his own mention.  Hopefully we see him 2 years in an IU jersey.  

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I’m an Archie supporter, but I’m also fair and not a blind supporter. I thought Archie was bad tonight from a coaching perspective and it really concerns me for the rest of the year. It was absolutely plain as day early in the game that the big lineup was killing us on both ends. 

As we get into conference play, the coaches know IU and our personnel too well to keep running that lineup out there. Nebraska simply packed the paint leaving Smith, TJD, Brunk completely wide open, and also sagging off Franklin when he was in and even Durham a bit. They packed the paint and basically made both our perimeter and interior offense non-existent. We can not continue, especially in conference play, to play big, it’s going to cost us games. 

TJD has no room to operate, Smith is ineffective on the wing, and our guards can’t get to the rim at all. It took Archie until 10 minutes left in the ga,e to figure this out and that’s when Smith started becoming effective around the foul line and in the paint, TJD finally had room to operate, and lanes opened for Phinisee. 

This is glaringly obvious to me. The coaches in conference that’s know IU’s personnel are going to do this to us all year. 

Also, defensively the big lineup killed us too. Nebraska was getting to the rim at will. 

Why the heck did we not foul at the end of regulation? Nebraska is a bad free throw shooting team and a bad rebounding team. Make them make 2 at the line, and even if they miss we should get the board, but don’t let a team get a 3off there. 

I had the same thought about fouling. They were making 3's at will. Force them to finish at the line. I had to listen on the radio but it was such an obvious strategy. 

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

A few positives.  

1. Rob ran 26 mins.  

2. Smith was doubling down on playing out of his style basketball taking 3s and fade away jumpers in the 1st half and completely went to what works for him in the 2nd.  I saw him many times down on the baseline hunting an angle.  Him on top of the perimeter is honestly when the offense is at its worst.  That's at least one adjustment for the adjustment folks.  

3.  Uh, well... it's a win.  Credit Rob, Armaan, Demezi, and Trayce.

4. Trayce deserves his own mention.  Hopefully we see him 2 years in an IU jersey.  

I don’t mean to harp on this (well, maybe I do 😀), but on your point #2, Smith’s change in play completely coincided with the move to the smaller lineup and putting him at the 4.

31 minutes ago, madmax said:

Everyone loves to point at Holtman at OSU and say “why aren’t we this good?” and yet there are countless examples of legendary and championship winning coaches who struggled their first few years. Be patient.

There are also many examples of mid-major coaches that don’t make it when they move to the big time.  I’m pulling for Archie to be a winning/successful coach at IU but at this point am not sure how this is going to turn out. Hope it’s positive.

This game(also previous two), in my opinion, we lacked true leadership from our upperclassmen. I will beat this horse in the ground, but our current upperclassmen don’t know what it’s like to win. Therefore we’re relying on them to finish games and I’m not sure that Green, Deron, Smith and Durham are capable of filling that role. I do think that it’s become fairly obvious that Rob and TJD are more than capable, but Archie will need to make that clear. 

I was happy with what I saw from Anderson and honestly believe that if we’re going to reach 20+ wins, with a tournament berth... we’ll need to see him continue to grow and become more confident. Franklin has been ok, but he tends to get careless with the ball at times. I’m really not sure what to say about Hunter, other than I guess that I was expecting more. Thompson has provided solid depth in the post and we’ll need to see him continue to stay aggressive on the block. 

I feel like we have a pretty good team, I really do. However, I think we will continue to struggle to close out games because of our lack in understanding how to win. If we can get Green to play to his potential(hopefully his injury isn’t serious) and Smith/Durham step up vocally, I think we can finish top five in the B1G. 

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I had the same thought about fouling. They were making 3's at will. Force them to finish at the line. I had to listen on the radio but it was such an obvious strategy. 

In Archie’s defense, I just watched the postgame and he took full responsibility. He said he blew it by not calling a timeout and instructing the guys to foul, and said if they had lost in OT it would have been his fault. 

That is refreshing compared to some other coaches that get defensive when asked those things. 

I actually feel bad for Davis and hope he has some shining moments this year.  I hope he continues to work like crazy on footwork and conditioning.  B1G is long and brutal.  

I'm afraid to ask this question and maybe I shouldn't.  Is anyone at least a little concerned with Green's holistic health?  Beyond the physical if you catch my drift?  He himself has talked about getting down on himself and just needing to be confident.  That could honestly just be scratching the surface.  I really say we encourage and speak to the positive because that dude is in a funk again.    

Also.  I will sit here and wait all year but Demezi is going to blow up from 3 and Hunter seems to be getting a little more look in his eye each game.  

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t mean to harp on this (well, maybe I do 😀), but on your point #2, Smith’s change in play completely coincided with the move to the smaller lineup and putting him at the 4.

It's literally so obvious and I totally agree with you.  I was typing my post up when you must have sent yours out.  

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

As we get into conference play, the coaches know IU and our personnel too well to keep running that lineup out there. Nebraska simply packed the paint leaving Smith, TJD, Brunk completely wide open when they were on the perimeter, and also sagging off Franklin when he was in and even Durham a bit. They packed the paint and basically made both our perimeter and interior offense non-existent. We can not continue, especially in conference play, to play big, it’s going to cost us games. 

I appreciate completely what your saying-it does make me wonder though. I mean, surely if us armchair coaches can see this plain as day, does the staff really not? Assuming they do, what gives?

Maybe they’re still experimenting? Maybe they’re worried about team chemistry/minute distribution? I don’t get it.

1 minute ago, madmax said:

I appreciate completely what your saying-it does make me wonder though. I mean, surely if us armchair coaches can see this plain as day, does the staff really not? Assuming they do, what gives?

Maybe they’re still experimenting? Maybe they’re worried about team chemistry/minute distribution? I don’t get it.

I don’t know. It seemed plainly obvious to me. The big lineup wouldn’t be bad if Smith and one of TJD or Brunk could shoot, but right now our core lineup (even when we went to the bench we stayed big until 10 minutes left) has anywhere from 3-4 non-shooters in it. That absolutely will not work in conference play. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

If I’m Archie, I’m starting Phinisee, Durham, Anderson, Smith, TJD next game. 

I wish Franklin could shoot, because I’d love to give him a ton of time too because he plays great D and he’s smart on offense, but we’ve got to have scoring out there. 

I’d also like to see Thompson get more minutes, as he provides great energy. Also agree with the smaller lineup. Do you think Archie will cut the rotation down to 8-9 guys? I think that might become something that he needs to consider as we move forward. 

Archived