Nebraska Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

If only we could go back to the glory days?

That was a fun team, so is this one.  That team lost 7 times, 4 to non-ranked teams.  Will never forget the season coming down to a ball half way down the rim rotating out.  

Think about this, with out consistently hitting freethrows and threes yesterday they were st 40 points at half.  This team best days are ahead if someone gets going with confidence shooting.  Will the water meet the level and decent shooters knock down more shots?

Uhg. Scored 40 in the first half, but gave up 39. It seems like this team can't put both together against decent competition. 

There was good offensive adjustments as the game wore on. Everybody will pack the lane on this team, but they still found  a way to score inside.

Defense was awful. and then it got more awful.  Generally the win was just wearing out the short handed Huskers.

This is not a bad team.  This is a team that has played bad. 

But,  with a soft schedule, is 10 and 1.

Road teams in the Big Ten are win-less

it's funny how we can all watch the same game and just see things differently.  my buddy says Race is terrible.  i think he's fine, he just doesn't need to be shooting 3s.  one thing The General was great at was having guys play to their strengths.  the modern game is that everyone has to shoot 3s.  hate it.  i personally don't like Anderson on the floor at all still, but many liked him tonight.  why he was inbounding the ball at a critical point baffles me.  i hate seeing Hunter on the floor in a close game.  depending on Green's injury status, i just want to see us play RP, TJD, Green, Durham, Smith, and Brunk as many minutes possible.  i'm not sure who else i really like to see on the floor.  very frustrating game, but winning it ugly is much better than losing.  very easily could be in the top 25 Monday.  that would be nice.  i'm sure short lived, but nice.  

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

I’m an Archie supporter, but I’m also fair and not a blind supporter. I thought Archie was bad tonight from a coaching perspective and it really concerns me for the rest of the year. It was absolutely plain as day early in the game that the big lineup was killing us on both ends. 

As we get into conference play, the coaches know IU and our personnel too well to keep running that lineup out there. Nebraska simply packed the paint leaving Smith, TJD, Brunk completely wide open when they were on the perimeter, and also sagging off Franklin when he was in and even Durham a bit. They packed the paint and basically made both our perimeter and interior offense non-existent. We can not continue, especially in conference play, to play big, it’s going to cost us games. 

TJD has no room to operate, Smith is ineffective on the wing, and our guards can’t get to the rim at all. It took Archie until 10 minutes left in the ga,e to figure this out and that’s when Smith started becoming effective around the foul line and in the paint, TJD finally had room to operate, and lanes opened for Phinisee. 

This is glaringly obvious to me. The coaches in conference that’s know IU’s personnel are going to do this to us all year. 

Also, defensively the big lineup killed us too. Nebraska was getting to the rim at will. 

Why the heck did we not foul at the end of regulation? Nebraska is a bad free throw shooting team and a bad rebounding team. Make them make 2 at the line, and even if they miss we should get the board, but don’t let a team get a 3off there. 

Finally, Justin Smith is excellent at the 4. He needs to stay there. 

After pondering everything as I laid in bed last night, drawing on all my wisdom of following basketball for thirty years and my abilities and talents to speak eloquently my final synopsis is....

”this ☝️“ 

42 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

it's funny how we can all watch the same game and just see things differently.  my buddy says Race is terrible.  i think he's fine, he just doesn't need to be shooting 3s.  one thing The General was great at was having guys play to their strengths.  the modern game is that everyone has to shoot 3s.  hate it.  i personally don't like Anderson on the floor at all still, but many liked him tonight.  why he was inbounding the ball at a critical point baffles me.  i hate seeing Hunter on the floor in a close game.  depending on Green's injury status, i just want to see us play RP, TJD, Green, Durham, Smith, and Brunk as many minutes possible.  i'm not sure who else i really like to see on the floor.  very frustrating game, but winning it ugly is much better than losing.  very easily could be in the top 25 Monday.  that would be nice.  i'm sure short lived, but nice.  

Remove Green and Durham and insert Franklin and Anderson/Jerome and this team could be decent.  

15 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

Remove Green and Durham and insert Franklin and Anderson/Jerome and this team could be decent.  

Agree in part —

Durham is a key player. One of our best scorers. Green is up and down but is by far our best shooter and spreads the floor. We need Rob running point, he will make both better. 

Franklin looks like a frosh out there against better teams, because he’s a frosh, and he does not at this point spread the floor. Promising player, but not ahead of Al, backup point for Rob.

Anderson has definitely improved and is growing game by game, imo, and agree both he and Hunter need more floor-time. We need playmaking from the wing 

11 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

We lost badly to a subpart Wisconsin team.  Barely beat a crappy UConn team and squeaked out an OT won over a sh&try Nebraska team.  

I love TJD but I am really getting tired of this team and coach

Then do yourself and all of us a favor and stop watching and posting on here about a team you are tired of

49 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

After pondering everything as I laid in bed last night, drawing on all my wisdom of following basketball for thirty years and my abilities and talents to speak eloquently my final synopsis is....

”this ☝️“ 

It's so much easier to wait for Bgleas, my chat board mentor, to post his thoughts and then say, that is exactly what I was thinking.  

2 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

There is no lock down shooter on this team.  Recruiting solves that and next year is the first recruits where you read they have a J from range.  

Bingo! We got a couple guys coming in next year that are great shooters. 

As for this year...we have to win by playing sound defense, rebounding the ball and limiting turnovers. I’m glad we have the next week off to work on these things.

A lot of people are griping and I get the concern...but nonetheless we are 10-1 and onto the next. Also...not saying we necessarily deserve it (but then again has ANY team really deserved it this year?) but don’t be surprised if we find ourselves ranked on Monday. Even with the loss to Wisconsin we were pretty close to being ranked this week and we finished 2-0 on the week with a nice “ugly” win against UConn at MSG (their 2nd home).

11 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am embarrassed of what we put on the floor the last 3 years.  Not saying anyone has to agree with me, just stating my opinion

Rewind back to 3 years ago. Changing only the decision of the head coaching hire (meaning the administration, parameters in which Archie can operate in, etc are the same), what reasonable option could have done better?

10 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

All I can say is that I’m extremely frustrated and embarrassed to be an IU fan right now. Listening to CAM’s post game interview, it appears he’s just as frustrated, especially with the defense. 

I'm glad he's frustrated and wants to see improvement. Crean would be raving about how Nebraska is a top 5 team in the conference and will surprise everyone.

I'm not sure an offense predicated on getting to the free throw line will win in today's Big Ten. We shot 20 more free throws last night and needed overtime to win at home. I guarantee we won't have that advantage when we play at Nebraska later this season.

20 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Rewind back to 3 years ago. Changing only the decision of the head coaching hire (meaning the administration, parameters in which Archie can operate in, etc are the same), what reasonable option could have done better?

Bingo. The answer is nobody and that is why Archie is going to be the guy. So fussing about being tired of a coach while we’re 10-1 in the middle of his 3rd season isn’t going to get very far. I say to people...hang in there. Crean was never the answer but I do think Archie will be. We have some shooters coming in next year which will offset our lack of 3 point shooting...and maybe, just maybe Demezi can shoot the way he is supposed to shoot (fingers crossed) as let’s not forget he was recruited to be a dynamite shooter...unfortunately hasn’t panned out to the college game yet...I’m waiting for that light bulb to go off in him

I can deal with all the growing pains a lot more easily if it weren't for the defense. Just when I think we're starting to click on D, the UW or NE games in conference rear their ugly heads. The reason I say this is - regardless of scheme, youth, etc - defense is highly effort based. If you play with consistent defensive intensity - and hustle in general - it will often cover up a lot of mistakes/issues. It's paramount this group becomes a solid defensive unit, IMO. More than any other characteristic as a team. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Bingo. The answer is nobody and that is why Archie is going to be the guy. So fussing about being tired of a coach while we’re 10-1 in the middle of his 3rd season isn’t going to get very far. I say to people...hang in there. Crean was never the answer but I do think Archie will be. We have some shooters coming in next year which will offset our lack of 3 point shooting...and maybe, just maybe Demezi can shoot the way he is supposed to shoot (fingers crossed) as let’s not forget he was recruited to be a dynamite shooter...unfortunately hasn’t panned out to the college game yet...I’m waiting for that light bulb to go off in him

Man I sure hope you're right......

7 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

I can deal with all the growing pains a lot more easily if it weren't for the defense. Just when I think we're starting to click on D, the UW or NE games in conference rear their ugly heads. The reason I say this is - regardless of scheme, youth, etc - yefense is highly effort based. If you play with consistent defensive intensity - and hustle in general - it will often cover up a lot of mistakes/issues. It's paramount this group becomes a solid defensive unit, IMO. More than any other characteristic as a team. 

My take, right or wrong. I don't think it's effort, really at all. What I see is the pack line and sometimes implementing it well, and sometimes not, and rather than effort, sometimes it's who you have on the floor, as in athleticism, mobility, the ability to close out quickly etc. Our big lineup is not very effective. 

Well, last three games have been ugly but we are 10-1. It will be troublesome if the defense is inconsistent and on offense other teams  slow us down by packing the lane and daring us to shot from distance (I.e. a repeat of last year). There are good reasons for complaints from many of us (including me) but bigger picture I just want us to improve, build a foundation and make the tourney.  If we make the tourney I don’t care if we are the first ever 17th seed (LOL) but making the tourney is important on many fronts (recruiting, fan base, culture etc). With the BT looming we will find out soon enough where we really are and I also just saw that Sagarin has us 34th and Arkansas 42nd and Kenpom has us 31st and Arkansas 33rd. That would be a better win than I expected. As much as I disliked our out of conference schedule it will look halfway decent to the committee IF we beat FSU, UCONN, ND and Arkansas. Hopefully Archie makes this work as another rebuild would be very painful. 

14 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

My take, right or wrong. I don't think it's effort, really at all. What I see is the pack line and sometimes implementing it well, and sometimes not, and rather than effort, sometimes it's who you have on the floor, as in athleticism, mobility, the ability to close out quickly etc. Our big lineup is not very effective. 

I agree to some extent but think the Wiscy loss had a lot to do with effort.

My take:

1) The way the game went was kind of predictable once we gave them that run when it went from 13-4 to 14-13...I've watched a lot of basketball over the years. As soon as that run happened I thought, okay, they will hang around now and we will finally push it out to double digits with about 8 minutes to go and then win by 12-14. There were two moments in the second half where that should have happened but we couldn't finish the job...It was set up to happen except for four things. We played terribly defensively on the ball, they made some crazy shots, and we missed ALOT, and I think that the team looked like the last week and half of emotion and travel had them flatfooted a bit...

2) I think that CAM would go small earlier in the game but he doesn't think we have the guard depth and conditioning. When our guards can each play 30 minutes or more effectively, then we can go small more easily. Trusting Anderson and Hunter more will help....I also think the staff is trying to get TJD matched against 4s instead of 5s, and that would be a good idea against traditional lineups, but Nebraska had one post and everyone else were guards....we needed to go small much earlier...There are very few teams we can play big against...they'll just pack it in

3) Phinisee is still favoring his ankle a bit, and has to be willing to look at the rim as a threat to shoot when he catches...

4) Our team were willing to receive coaching during the game. We were willing to set ourselves aside and do what the coaching staff said would win the game. We passed up easy looks on the perimeter because the Staff asked them to get the ball inside....our turnover numbers were actually largely a result of the team trying to do what the staff asked them to do....That's WAY different than last year

5) we actually pushed the ball way more effectively tonight

6) Our confidence shooting comes and goes really quickly...old men on message boards and twitter pretending like all it takes is a coach saying the magic words and all would be well (and that they somehow knows those magic words and CAM just doesn't)  won't help...They need to shoot in rhythm, in the offense, and with belief...

7) I believe Green has been hurting for a couple of games, he has not been nearly as good with the ball and off the drive since FSU

- I think that the three biggest mistakes CAM made were the wholesale change five minutes into the game, staying with the big lineup too long, not fouling at the end of regulation...He'd probably agree and is likely to not make those same mistakes going forward

- Reading through this thread it is clear that people watch the games emotionally and say things that are actually irrational...everyone ends up seeing what they want to see

I'll probably get be-headed for this...but I can't figure out why CAM is so hell bent on the pack line.

1. It's hard to learn. Many say it takes 3 years to learn it.
  2. It's reliant on a LOT of communication...more than a traditional man to man.
  3. Only a few teams play it really well. We're not one of them
  4. A straight man to man, with some switching strategies has proven to be effective by a lot of ranked teams.

I know Archie needs to run his system, and he believes in the pack line, but...he changed the offense this year, why not develop more than one defense?

You guys know more than I do, so coach me on this, cause I'm really trying to wrap my brain around it.

Just now, DWB said:

I'll probably get be-headed for this...but I can't figure out why CAM is so hell bent on the pack line.

1. It's hard to learn. Many say it takes 3 years to learn it.
  2. It's reliant on a LOT of communication...more than a traditional man to man.
  3. Only a few teams play it really well. We're not one of them
  4. A straight man to man, with some switching strategies has proven to be effective by a lot of ranked teams.

I know Archie needs to run his system, and he believes in the pack line, but...he changed the offense this year, why not develop more than one defense?

You guys know more than I do, so coach me on this, cause I'm really trying to wrap my brain around it.

I do believe in switching things up during the game when other teams get comfortable. Play a little zone, switch ball screen coverages, extend the D a little.....

CAM is apparently uninterested in doing those things...

If I was able to weigh in on the philosophy for our coaching staff, that's maybe the first question I would ask them...why not use your basketball IQ to take away particular strengths and things that are working for the other team?

Archived