Nebraska Postgame Thread

KDB

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

Great win last night, loved the offense in the first half i thought it was great. The D was fantastic the whole way. I really loved not fouling at the end of reg. up 3 just so we all got to watch more basketball. Lookout for that Neb. team, kenpom says 0-20 in big ten, they are will cause some damage this season. Well a win is a win, 10-1, on to the next.

I got about 3 sentences into your post and thought you had had a nervous breakdown...

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Beowulf50 said:

Apparently Green is hurt again......

I know. We’ll see what this team has got. Rob’s gonna have to really step up. But Green is our best outside threat. When he’s canning sh*t, we’re tough. Somebody has to be a threat from the outside. The challenge is on the players. 

On 12/14/2019 at 7:24 PM, GoshenFan84 said:

Something else worth noting: IU didn't get home from MSG until 5:00 am Wednesday morning. Nebraska's previous game was last Saturday.

Also Purdue plays at Nebraska Sunday. Purdue's last game was last Sunday (12/8). A well rested Purdue will blow the doors off a tired Nebraska team.

How did those fresh legs work out for the Boilers I hadn't heard😉

Let's compare

• Purdue is 6-4.  IU is 10-1
  • Purdue lost to Nebraska.  IU beat Nebraska.
  • Purdue lost to Florida State.  IU beat Florida State.
  • KenPom has Purdue at #11 in his rankings.  KenPom has IU at #30 in his rankings.

One of those things is not like the other.  

Quality wins?  Then why does KenPom have Purdue rated ahead of 8-3 Michigan?  Or, a 7-2 Marquette team that BEAT Purdue head to head?    

Is this all a great big plot plot to put Purdue in position to win another one of those Helms trophies?  

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Let's compare

• KenPom has Purdue at #11 in his rankings.  KenPom has IU at #30 in his rankings.

Quality wins?  Then why does KenPom have Purdue rated ahead of 8-3 Michigan?  Or, a 7-2 Marquette team that BEAT Purdue head to head?    

Is this all a great big plot plot to put Purdue in position to win another one of those Helms trophies?  

It's December.  Pomeroy still has some degree of last season's data influencing this year's ratings.

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Let's compare

I've been watching Sagarin.  He had Purdue between 15-17.  IU has been as high as 15 until the Wisconsin game and 30-35 since.   

Looked this morning and IU is 30, Purdue is 37.  

12 B10 Teams are 1 & 1 in conference play this year !! Indiana HOOSIERS & Maryland each have 10 total wine ! Penn State & Ohio State have 9 wins! Michigan , Iowa , Rutgers , & Illinois each have 8 wins,  ! Michigan State has 7 wins !! P yew has 6 wins and 4 Losses !!! Minnesota , Nebraska. , Northwestern , and Wisconsin all have 5 wins !! Indiana and pee yew have both lost on the road to teams with only five total wins ! Hmmm.

58 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Let's compare

Location, location, location. 

IU beat those teams at home and Purdue lost to them either neutral court (FSU) or on the road (Nebraska). I’m guessing that factors into it?

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Location, location, location. 

IU beat those teams at home and Purdue lost to them either neutral court (FSU) or on the road (Nebraska). I’m guessing that factors into it?

It's more about factoring in last season. His numbers continue to be flawed, really, because of it. Compare Sagarin, for example. 

On 12/14/2019 at 9:44 AM, NCHoosier32 said:

it's funny how we can all watch the same game and just see things differently.  my buddy says Race is terrible.  i think he's fine, he just doesn't need to be shooting 3s.  one thing The General was great at was having guys play to their strengths.  the modern game is that everyone has to shoot 3s.  hate it.  i personally don't like Anderson on the floor at all still, but many liked him tonight.  why he was inbounding the ball at a critical point baffles me.  i hate seeing Hunter on the floor in a close game.  depending on Green's injury status, i just want to see us play RP, TJD, Green, Durham, Smith, and Brunk as many minutes possible.  i'm not sure who else i really like to see on the floor.  very frustrating game, but winning it ugly is much better than losing.  very easily could be in the top 25 Monday.  that would be nice.  i'm sure short lived, but nice.  

anderson inbounding the ball was the single worst coaching move i have seen miller make. it was like watching crean's teams trying to inbound. phinisee is the best candidate but obviously you would like to get  it in to him to handle it or shoot the free throws. not sure who else i trust there. probably durham but i think he was already fouled out. we still had a time out so anerson could have used that rather than forcing a dangerous inbounds pass that had no chance

On 12/14/2019 at 11:39 AM, Hoosier987 said:

Bingo. The answer is nobody and that is why Archie is going to be the guy. So fussing about being tired of a coach while we’re 10-1 in the middle of his 3rd season isn’t going to get very far. I say to people...hang in there. Crean was never the answer but I do think Archie will be. We have some shooters coming in next year which will offset our lack of 3 point shooting...and maybe, just maybe Demezi can shoot the way he is supposed to shoot (fingers crossed) as let’s not forget he was recruited to be a dynamite shooter...unfortunately hasn’t panned out to the college game yet...I’m waiting for that light bulb to go off in him

i agree that miller can get it done but believing being 10-1 is indicative of some amount of success is a misnomer. indiana wins the first 7 games easily if you or i were the head coach. nebraska, northwestern or nebraska would have been 7-0 against them. they just don't mean anything. we are 3-1 against power 5 and showing obvious weaknesses. at least miller is painfully aware of them. i have said it from day one, i don't think damezi is a good shooter. hope i turn out to be wrong or he changes the way he shoots. i am starting to think he can be a very good defender with his size and athleticism 

On 12/14/2019 at 12:19 PM, Hard Hat said:

I’m with all of the people saying small ball.  I just really think Hunter has more upside than Anderson.   I would like to see this start us off next game.

ROb

Al

Hunter

Smith

TJD

whether hunter has more upside remains to be seen. what can be seen is hunter's defense is a liability right now. on one defensive series against nebraska, he got back cut on the wing and in trying to recover, he turned his back to the ball instead of opening up to the ball. the resulting bounce pass to his man resulted in a layup. that pass never gets through if he sees the ball. i have not studied the pack line but i wonder if the old "ball-u-man" principles of more traditional man defense apply. we seem to be susceptible to wing back cuts due to losing vision on our man. 

On 12/14/2019 at 7:24 PM, GoshenFan84 said:

Something else worth noting: IU didn't get home from MSG until 5:00 am Wednesday morning. Nebraska's previous game was last Saturday.

Also Purdue plays at Nebraska Sunday. Purdue's last game was last Sunday (12/8). A well rested Purdue will blow the doors off a tired Nebraska team.

how about now? 

On 12/14/2019 at 8:13 PM, IUguy said:

I saw the game and heard Archie's comments.  All I know is that the guards and whoever else wants to shoot from the outside had better gain some confidence and start making their threes.  When (not if) this happens, IU will be very, very difficult to defend.  Other than this, I hope Green recovers quickly, as he and Rob are still our best guard combination.  Al is good and getting better, and Damezi is rapidly improving.  Finally, Archie needs to design defenses based on who we play and then the team needs to execute.  Should not lose if they score 80 points.

i am not sold on green being injured as opposed to being benched. 

3 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

12 B10 Teams are 1 & 1 in conference play this year !! Indiana HOOSIERS & Maryland each have 10 total wine ! Penn State & Ohio State have 9 wins! Michigan , Iowa , Rutgers , & Illinois each have 8 wins,  ! Michigan State has 7 wins !! P yew has 6 wins and 4 Losses !!! Minnesota , Nebraska. , Northwestern , and Wisconsin all have 5 wins !! Indiana and pee yew have both lost on the road to teams with only five total wins ! Hmmm.

you need more exclamation points

37 minutes ago, coachv said:

whether hunter has more upside remains to be seen. what can be seen is hunter's defense is a liability right now. on one defensive series against nebraska, he got back cut on the wing and in trying to recover, he turned his back to the ball instead of opening up to the ball. the resulting bounce pass to his man resulted in a layup. that pass never gets through if he sees the ball. i have not studied the pack line but i wonder if the old "ball-u-man" principles of more traditional man defense apply. we seem to be susceptible to wing back cuts due to losing vision on our man. 

Agree, and it didn't happen once. If I remember correctly, Hunter got beat backdoor for layups 3 times in the game. It happened twice in the first half, pretty close together, and is why Hunter came out. I believe it also happened to him again in the second half.  

On 12/14/2019 at 10:19 AM, Zlinedavid said:

Rewind back to 3 years ago. Changing only the decision of the head coaching hire (meaning the administration, parameters in which Archie can operate in, etc are the same), what reasonable option could have done better?

I don't have an answer and i am not saying anyone could do better.  Just saying i don't really like what IU has on the floor or the bench at this point 3 years later.  Its my opinion and it may  not fit what everyone else thinks but until they start playing good basketball again, i am not going to be happy with what i see.  And i am not advocating or asking anyone to believe what i think, but its an internet basketball so take it for whats it worth.  Don't agree with me, sounds good to me.  Agree with me, good for you.  in the end, no one cares what i think, its not going to change anyone mind, but it doesn't change the fact that i have little to zero patience anymore with Indiana basketball.  Again, just my opinion, personal.  Right or or, its mine and i will live with it 

1 hour ago, coachv said:

anderson inbounding the ball was the single worst coaching move i have seen miller make. it was like watching crean's teams trying to inbound. phinisee is the best candidate but obviously you would like to get  it in to him to handle it or shoot the free throws. not sure who else i trust there. probably durham but i think he was already fouled out. we still had a time out so anerson could have used that rather than forcing a dangerous inbounds pass that had no chance

Situation should have been flipped: let Rob inbound to Damezi.  I trust Rob's judgement on passes more than anyone else, and Anderson is a good free throw shooter himself.

And yes, Durham had already fouled out, otherwise he would have been the one inbounding (likely).

I don't think having Damezi inbounding is all that bad of a move.  He, Durham and Rob are the three best FT shooters on the team.  With Durham out, if Rob gets trapped, being able to kick it back to Damezi at least makes them foul a decent FT shooter.  Questionable call? OK.  Archie has made worse tactical decisions though. 

Archived