Three point shooting back to last year's percentage

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's another reason I'd like to see IU go small. Get Smith more touches, but closer to the basket, with the first unit, and then let Brunk get close to his same production with the second unit. It also allows TJD to get more touches because the paint won't be as clogged. 

I am also losing hope that we'll move away from that lineup. Sure, it's a coaching issue, but I put it more in the bucket of philosophy. Is that semantics? Probably. But for whatever reason, Archie believes this team will win best big. We're not in practice and also health has impacted this as well. 

I see Smith missing a lot of those jump hooks from 5 feet so I have no confidence that he can score on anything but layups.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I see Smith missing a lot of those jump hooks from 5 feet so I have no confidence that he can score on anything but layups.

I do too, but I think/hope part of it is because the lane is so clogged. In my opinion, especially against the better competition, he's taking those little turnaround jump hooks in the paint further from the basket and with more hands in his face. It's a theory, not guaranteeing it would work. 

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I do too, but I think/hope part of it is because the lane is so clogged. In my opinion, especially against the better competition, he's taking those little turnaround jump hooks in the paint further from the basket and with more hands in his face. It's a theory, not guaranteeing it would work. 

If we went small and played TJD at the 5 would you be comfortable him guarding Wesson. Cofi, Garza, Tillman and the guy from PSU and Minnesota

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If we went small and played TJD at the 5 would you be comfortable him guarding Wesson. Cofi, Garza, Tillman and the guy from PSU and Minnesota

For stretches, sure. It's not like we'd be removing Brunk from the roster. He'd still be there to sub in, and I'm not suggesting we never play big. There will be times it's called for. I'm actually ok with starting big too, but it's been pretty clear in most games recently when the opponent adjusts to that, and then IU needs to counter adjust. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

For stretches, sure. It's not like we'd be removing Brunk from the roster. He'd still be there to sub in, and I'm not suggesting we never play big. There will be times it's called for. I'm actually ok with starting big too, but it's been pretty clear in most games recently when the opponent adjusts to that, and then IU needs to counter adjust. 

To me I have no problem with Brunk and TJD in the starting lineup together but the problem is having Smith as the other front court player.  I have seen IU fans over the years complain about IU being small and playing under sized 4's and now people are complaining we are playing big.  To me this would be the ideal lineup if everyone was healthy and playing up to their abilities.  Also I think Smith and Durham would be better coming off the bench.

RP/Durham

DG/Franklin

Hunter/Anderson

TJD/ Smith

Brunk/ Thompson/ Davis

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me I have no problem with Brunk and TJD in the starting lineup together but the problem is having Smith as the other front court player.  I have seen IU fans over the years complain about IU being small and playing under sized 4's and now people are complaining we are playing big.  To me this would be the ideal lineup if everyone was healthy and playing up to their abilities.  Also I think Smith and Durham would be better coming off the bench.

RP/Durham

DG/Franklin

Hunter/Anderson

TJD/ Smith

Brunk/ Thompson/ Davis

I haven't been complaining about being too small on the interior. I think we've been fine there in previous years. The issue has been the size on the wing. We've played 3 small guards (ie. Yogi, JBJ and RoJo together with a stretch 4 and undersized 5) with a small interior. That doesn't work. 

I'd really like you're lineup if Phinisee and Hunter were 100%, well conditioned and ready to play and contribute, but unfortunately they're not. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I haven't been complaining about being too small on the interior. I think we've been fine there in previous years. The issue has been the size on the wing. We've played 3 small guards (ie. Yogi, JBJ and RoJo together with a stretch 4 and undersized 5) with a small interior. That doesn't work. 

I'd really like you're lineup if Phinisee and Hunter were 100%, well conditioned and ready to play and contribute, but unfortunately they're not. 

That is why I said that would be the ideal lineup if everyone was healthy

On 1/1/2020 at 3:47 PM, IUFLA said:

I'm not pretending anything. We all knew it was a strong possibility, but, as I said, not with 100% certainty. And if we hadn't got Romeo, one and done or not, you would have bitched about that...

And, as I pointed out, we did recruit 2 other wings in that class. The jury is still out on both.

I'm sure Archie did evaluate them...numerous times...there's no certainty to how a recruit's game will transition to college. None at all...

To me this is the proverbial tale of The Tortoise and the Hare.

So some of you wanna be coaches, ADs, and GMs are just gonna have to wait...Archie's not going anywhere...

Late to the conversation and yeah, I'm frustrated as hell, but I appreciate you being a voice of reason here.

There's a reason I stayed away after the game...the dumbest things are said on the game threads.  The second dumbest on post-game threads.

6 hours ago, Bedford1432 said:

The coach K and Jay Wright examples get used as if it is how it always works out.  It's possible it happens with Archie but there are dozens of examples where it didn't work out 

...and there's a lot more than those two that did work out.  I'm sure it wouldn't be hard with a little research to point to several examples of coaches who were cut loose too quickly at a job, only to flourish at their next job.  Let's not be that school with the short trigger, OK?  I'm tired of the rebuilds.   I think he can coach and Bob Knight thinks he can coach.  Bob Knight did not think Tom Crean could coach, so let's ride this horse at least as long as IU rode Crean before we write him off.

I can see already that I came back to this forum too soon after Arkansas...

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

This post made me think... if this year‘s team played the 2014-2015 Hoosiers 10 times, how many games would each team win?

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

...and it appears they post a lot on fan forums...talk about their glory days coaching Y-ball and sometimes even use "coach" in their user names...

It doesn’t matter the thread there are many people that don’t post on message boards who see the same as I do. We all hope it gets turned around this year. The handful of regular posters here are split on how they see things as well

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This post made me think... if this year‘s team played the 2014-2015 Hoosiers 10 times, how many games would each team win?

Wow, really interesting question. Probably depends who is home and who is road. I think 14-15 has more raw, top-end talent, but I'm not sure who on 14-15 would be able to defend TJD or even Brunk. 14-15 has the much better guard play though. 

I think they would be close games and 14-15 would win more simply because of their ability to make shots with Yogi, JBJ, RoJo and Troy Williams, I'll say this though, I think 14-15 is a better team if they had Archie as a coach.  

If you're listing the top 5 players on both rosters, you're probably going something like Yogi, TJD, Troy Williams, JBJ, RoJo, and in basketball top-end talent typically wins. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wow, really interesting question. Probably depends who is home and who is road. I think 14-15 has more raw, top-end talent, but I'm not sure who on 14-15 would be able to defend TJD or even Brunk. 14-15 has the much better guard play though. 

I think they would be close games and 14-15 would win more simply because of their ability to make shots with Yogi, JBJ, RoJo and Troy Williams, I'll say this though, I think 14-15 is a better team if they had Archie as a coach.  

If you're listing the top 5 players on both rosters, you're probably going something like Yogi, TJD, Troy Williams, JBJ, RoJo, and in basketball top-end talent typically wins. 

Rojo, JBJ and Yogi would have a field day shooting 3s with how this team doesn't defend the 3 well.

On the flip side TJD could score 40 on the 14-15 team with how CTC played defense.

14-15 at home would win by 25

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Gleas.  Convert to IU football while you are here.

21 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Rojo, JBJ and Yogi would have a field day shooting 3s with how this team doesn't defend the 3 well.

On the flip side TJD could score 40 on the 14-15 team with how CTC played defense.

14-15 at home would win by 25

Wouldnt both teams be at home??

Archived