Three point shooting back to last year's percentage

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Not to steal Scott's argument, but do you think Duke fans "saw the signs" when he was 17-13, 10-17, and 11-17 his first 3 years?

It’s comforting to keep reading that we may have the next coach K. Hopefully that turns out to be true.

K was in the hot seat because of his first three years. Fortunately for him he then recruited the number one class in the country. Maybe that’s also our plan?

13 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

It’s comforting to keep reading that we may have the next coach K. Hopefully that turns out to be true.

K was in the hot seat because of his first three years. Fortunately for him he then recruited the number one class in the country. Maybe that’s also our plan?

I get tired of hearing K's name come up in regards to his 1st three years at Duke.  He took over a team that had reached the #1 ranking the previous year.  In year #1 he took 3 NBA draft picks to a 17-13 record which included a 1st round exit in the ACCT and a 3rd round loss to Purdue in the NIT.  He had plenty of pieces but the ACC was so damn good and 68 teams didn't get invited to the NCAAT.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

I get tired of hearing K's name come up in regards to his 1st three years at Duke.  He took over a team that had reached the #1 ranking the previous year.  In year #1 he took 3 NBA draft picks to a 17-13 record which included a 1st round exit in the ACCT and a 3rd round loss to Purdue in the NIT.  He had plenty of pieces but the ACC was so damn good and 68 teams didn't get invited to the NCAAT.

I’m also tired of it. Many coaches started out slowly but for some reason one of the best coaches ever is used (over and over) as an example of how things turn around. 

I think you all are taking the Coach K comment out of context. I was responding to this comment...

"That's utter nonsense to say you won't know how good a coach is for four years. A good coach is a good coach and you can see the signs much earlier than that."

My point in invoking the name of Coach K was that the casual fan, myself included, cannot really discern a guys coaching chops. Some things may be all too obvious (and I haven't noticed any of that with CAM), but much of our criticism of a particular coach is an uneducated opinion. 

Coach K is simply the extreme example of fans being wrong. 

But there have been others as well...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think you all are taking the Coach K comment out of context. I was responding to this comment...

"That's utter nonsense to say you won't know how good a coach is for four years. A good coach is a good coach and you can see the signs much earlier than that."

My point in invoking the name of Coach K was that the casual fan, myself included, cannot really discern a guys coaching chops. Some things may be all too obvious (and I haven't noticed any of that with CAM), but much of our criticism of a particular coach is an uneducated opinion. 

Coach K is simply the extreme example of fans being wrong. 

But there have been others as well...

Understood but not only is K an extreme example but in my opinion a bad example.  Duke had been on top of the college basketball world previous to him arriving.  In his case it was just bad timing as the ACC was extremely tough at the top when he took over.  1981 saw the conference get 4 teams in the NCAAT.  4 out of 8.  Duke was 6-8 that year.  Honestly he was a success in year 1.  

11 minutes ago, rico said:

Understood but not only is K an extreme example but in my opinion a bad example.  Duke had been on top of the college basketball world previous to him arriving.  In his case it was just bad timing as the ACC was extremely tough at the top when he took over.  1981 saw the conference get 4 teams in the NCAAT.  4 out of 8.  Duke was 6-8 that year.  Honestly he was a success in year 1.  

But it was not a comparison of Coach K and Archie at all...it was a reflection on how badly a fan base can be wrong. 

I said in a previous post that if CAM is still struggling to make the tournament after next year, get the search committee ready.

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But it was not a comparison of Coach K and Archie at all...it was a reflection on how badly a fan base can be wrong. 

I said in a previous post that if CAM is still struggling to make the tournament after next year, get the search committee ready.

But do any of us know how the Duke fan base was back then?  

2 hours ago, IU878176 said:

If you saw the 30/30 on the class that saved Coach K you saw that one  of  the boosters had a petition to get him fired.  Even during that class first year it did not get turned around and the season ended with a 30+ point loss in the ACC tournament.  Nobody is saying Archie will turn into coach K but it has been proven that patience has paid off many times with coaches who turned into great coaches.

44 minutes ago, rico said:

Yes if you watch the 30/30 of the class that saved Coach K.  they were talking to Bilas and Alerie and they went to dinner with one of their girlfriends family which was a big booster.  During dinner the girl's father mentioned to them that they had a petition put together to get the coach fired.

50 minutes ago, rico said:

Well, there was no internet, much less social media, but I was going to say the same thing Scott posted...the 30 for 30 made it pretty clear most Duke fans didn't think Coach K was "the guy."

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, there was no internet, much less social media, but I was going to say the same thing Scott posted...the 30 for 30 made it pretty clear most Duke fans didn't think Coach K was "the guy."

They hated the hire in the first place because e he was a no name coach from Army who is coming off a season with loosing record.

19 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

What I see started over and over is that we need a healthy Rob.  

Why is is our season reliant on one guy.  Why does out failure to shoot the ball land on his shoulders.  Why does our inability to defend the 3 depend on Rob.  Why is our team structured so that a injury prone sophomore is the win/lose peice?  

We should be able to adust and respond to a missing peice.  I get that he is our point guard but why does a div1 basketball team only have one serviceable ball handler?  

And every time I hear the excuse that we need to get healthy I just shake my head.  This isn't last year.  We have one injured player and we lay everything at his feet for every deficiency we have.

We have our only pg injured. We also have a senior big man (the 2nd highest ranked recruit on our team) that can barely move. We also have our most talented wing (the 3rd highest ranked recruit on our team) recovering from major health problems and playing well below his rankings and even further below his initial signs of ability. 

We're an entirely different team if we have those guys performing. 

21 hours ago, Bedford1432 said:

I said we desperately needed shooters all spring but was told over and over the guys we had would get much better at shooting this summer.  I always thought was a weak argument and now it looks like nobody improved. Not addressing this major problem is 100% on archie.

Not like he didn't recruit shooters. They didn't commit to us, so he has to run with the players he's got. Mann, Carton, Quinones, Newman, Hurt, Watford, all can shoot the 3, no?

2 hours ago, IU878176 said:

The coach K and Jay Wright examples get used as if it is how it always works out.  It's possible it happens with Archie but there are dozens of examples where it didn't work out 

25 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

We have our only pg injured. We also have a senior big man (the 2nd highest ranked recruit on our team) that can barely move. We also have our most talented wing (the 3rd highest ranked recruit on our team) recovering from major health problems and playing well below his rankings and even further below his initial signs of ability. 

Every team has injuries as it's part of the game.  It's how you adjust to them that matters.

4 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

The coach K and Jay Wright examples get used as if it is how it always works out.  It's possible it happens with Archie but there are dozens of examples where it didn't work out 

Nobody is saying it will work out just saying coaches need time to prove if they can or can't coach

14 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

Also you can add names like Bennett, Izzo and Dean Smith

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

If you are referring to DD, hasn't been anything since day one, can't count him in my opinion and if your referring to Hunter, we have no idea what he will do.  He hasn't shown anything yet that says he would make a difference if oh the court even when he was healthy.

My point was everyone is laying it on Rob add the reason for poor play or the 2 loses.  We shouldn't be a team that falls apart when one player is down or playing poorly.

But that is just my opinion, reach to their own

15 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Not like he didn't recruit shooters. They didn't commit to us, so he has to run with the players he's got. Mann, Carton, Quinones, Newman, Hurt, Watford, all can shoot the 3, no?

Offering 3 pt shooters isn't Archie's problem.  It's landing one.   And that is a a bit of a head scratcher.   Any recruit watching our games the last 2 years could see the huge opportunity they would have to score.  If we had a shooter on this team we would be really good.

Here's to hoping he lands one soon.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Archived