2023 NFL Discussion

rico

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Fair point. I do think on 4 of them I believe he never touched the ball.....which goes to luck of the coin flip. Would rather be at the mercy of that or just take fate in your own hands and be in control of your destiny kind of thing lol. To each their own. Not sure anyone can convince anyone else on this subject...it's just engrained into them how they would do this stuff.

Just like whether or not to foul up 3 under 5 seconds.  I foul every time. Too many things have to happen to lose. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think what we see here is just two different opinions and probably two different philosophies...neither necessarily being bad...just the difference of style and risk. There has been times I've been upset at Reich for going for it or not kicking field goals etc...but in the end I'm mostly settle on going for the win kind of guy. However, I know some are more conservative and that might be alright too. I know GB regretted not letting Rodgers go for it in the playoffs last year...it can just go both ways.

Reich frustrates me at times on not kicking FGs. I have no problem with going for it on fourth down and even going for the 2pt conversion over an xp, but doing it at the right time. When you have a chance to tie the game with 40 seconds to go and give your defense a chance to make a stop, which coincidently they just did forcing GB into a 3 and out, you do it.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

And in my opnion it was a bad decision that cost his team at even having a chance to win lol.

Now...they had a chance to win...they ran a play to do just that...but fair enough...you don't like the odds...and maybe for good reason as they didn't convert. I think I'll trust a very well respected HC and SB winning coach that he knew his team best and did what he felt was the best chance to win the game. He has a long track record of being a good coach and having his finger on the pulse of his team. Perhaps they had practiced that scenario all week after botching it last week and felt good about it...oh well....all of us are arm chair gm's and coaches...so we all feel good about our own decisions because there is no pressure or consequences from them lol. In fairness I do understand your side...and I'm sure many other coaches would have done just that. I just agree with Harbaugh on this one and fine with what he did.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Reich frustrates me at times on not kicking FGs. I have no problem with going for it on fourth down and even going for the 2pt conversion over an xp, but doing it at the right time. When you have a chance to tie the game with 40 seconds to go and give you defense a chance to make a stop, which coincidently they just did forcing GB into a 3 and out, you do it.

Agreed...I like to get points...especially early on...seems it has a positive effect..we got some points...we are playing with a lead or we kind of got the lid of the rim sort of thing. Also the game is very long...those points add up over time. I just think in this instance....he calculated in his head that the chance of him stopping Rodgers and combine that with the chance of his back up qb leading them back down again for another score was less then him executing one 3 yd play. I'd imagine the statistics probably back him up on that....but then again this game isn't played on paper....it's played by little men inside tv sets....so anything can happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Agreed...I like to get points...especially early on...seems it has a positive effect..we got some points...we are playing with a lead or we kind of got the lid of the rim sort of thing. Also the game is very long...those points add up over time. I just think in this instance....he calculated in his head that the chance of him stopping Rodgers and combine that with the chance of his back up qb leading them back down again for another score was less then him executing one 3 yd play. I'd imagine the statistics probably back him up on that....but then again this game isn't played on paper....it's played by little men inside tv sets....so anything can happen.

One thing getting loss in this, his  decision helps the Colts fighting for a wildcard lol. They need all wildcards teams to lose.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Reich frustrates me at times on not kicking FGs. I have no problem with going for it on fourth down and even going for the 2pt conversion over an xp, but doing it at the right time. When you have a chance to tie the game with 40 seconds to go and give your defense a chance to make a stop, which coincidently they just did forcing GB into a 3 and out, you do it.

So many factors you don't bring up in this response. 

As a fan, I have no problem with my teams coach going for 2 like Harbaugh did the last couple of weeks. 

I like it for the most part. Is it high risk, sure, but it's high reward too. Id be surprised if their players had a problem with it. 

It's more about execution than the actual decision.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So with Brady putting up a big nothing burger...seems the door is open for JT to get into the MVP race. Still think Brady will win it since the media has now mostly turned on Rodgers with the vaccine

thing...but if JT finishes strong....he may have a very good arguement for it.

Taylor should be right there with Rodgers and Brady.

Speaking of Brady, i know it is frowned upon to say anything bad about him, but man he was acting childish in that game. Yelling at the refs  and his teammates also supposedly cussing at the Saints coach. Bad games happen but you don't have to be a tool about it.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I wonder if T.Y wil miss a game for this? He wasn't looking at the ref so maybe that's why he wasn't ejected.

Yeah...he probably should have been...and I expect some discipline. I know it wasn't intentional as he didn't know who was tugging on him but you just can't do that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...he probably should have been...and I expect some discipline. I know it wasn't intentional as he didn't know who was tugging on him but you just can't do that.

Yeah i would be shocked if he doesn't get suspended for at least a game and fined. Like you said he probably should be.

That whole situtaion was crap. Van Noye should have been ejected for his cheapshot on Pittman that escalated it all. Pittman being ejected was kind of questionable but i can see why the refs did it to defuse the whole thing.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Colts odds before and after the Patriots game 

To make SB from +1300 to +800

To win Super Bowl +3200 to +1400

Well...it's more reflective of the fact that they are in very good shape just to make the playoffs...but out of any Colt team that has made the playoffs this team I think is capable of winning on the road more than any. We are playing very well....but we could just as easily get in and wet the bed right away. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well...it's more reflective of the fact that they are in very good shape just to make the playoffs...but out of any Colt team that has made the playoffs this team I think is capable of winning on the road more than any. We are playing very well....but we could just as easily get in and wet the bed right away. 

They are 1 play making receiver away from being able to win it all IMO. I could see them going to AFC championship or SB with a few good breaks 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

They are 1 play making receiver away from being able to win it all IMO. I could see them going to AFC championship or SB with a few good breaks 

Yep...and I could just as easily see a dumb Frank Riech decision or a left handed Carson Wentz throw from going home in the first round. Just don't know with this team lol. That said they are playing pretty good football and with a healthy OL and JT....they can beat anyone in the playoffs right now...at home or the road.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Tee Higgins Michael Gallup

Higgins won't go anywhere...Gallup is a free agent in the off season. But that type of player for sure. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/ Obviously some will get re-signed in the offseason etc...but some interesting high profile names on the list include

Juju Smith-Schuster, Chris Godwin, Devante Adams, and Michael Gallup. I doubt the Colts sign any of them...I just don't see them spending big in FA at that position.

Edited by dgambill

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Taylor should be right there with Rodgers and Brady.

Speaking of Brady, i know it is frowned upon to say anything bad about him, but man he was acting childish in that game. Yelling at the refs  and his teammates also supposedly cussing at the Saints coach. Bad games happen but you don't have to be a tool about it.

I've got to be one of the few Central Indiana residents that love Brady....but I love every bit of this. People ask why he's the greatest? The guy can't stand to lose or not do his job...they have a gear most could only imagine in terms of competitiveness. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've got to be one of the few Central Indiana residents that love Brady....but I love every bit of this. People ask why he's the greatest? The guy can't stand to lose or not do his job...they have a gear most could only imagine in terms of competitiveness. 

There are a lot of people that can't stand to lose but they don't act like a child. I'm a Manning fan and wouldn't like it from him and i hated the times Knight acted like a child.

Now to be fair this isn't a habit of Brady but he clearly was being a tool in this game.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

There are a lot of people that can't stand to lose but they don't act like a child. I'm a Manning fan and wouldn't like it from him and i hated the times Knight acted like a child.

Now to be fair this isn't a habit of Brady but he clearly was being a tool in this game.

All fair. Just difference of opinion. 

• Like 1