2023 NFL Discussion

rico

1 minute ago, Hoosier51 said:

All that is fine but like have said when you are bad at it just kick the xp, they are at 27% on 2pt conversions so the chances are high they weren't going to make it. I think they are 100% on xp.

I see your point but they had the chance to win the game with 1 play. If it were me I would do the same. Hell they went 3 for 3 against the Colts on conversions. I can see why people are against it but when I was coaching and I tried to have a real pulse of my team and I knew when to go all in or when to be conservative. Harbaugh is a very good coach and I trust that at that moment he felt that it was in the best interest of his team to win it right there. 

I wonder what the win probability would have been for Ravens if the game had gone to OT?  More or less than 27% I don't know but feel the only way the Ravens were going to win that game was on that play,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I see your point but they had the chance to win the game with 1 play. If it were me I would do the same. Hell they went 3 for 3 against the Colts on conversions. I can see why people are against it but when I was coaching and I tried to have a real pulse of my team and I knew when to go all in or when to be conservative. Harbaugh is a very good coach and I trust that at that moment he felt that it was in the best interest of his team to win it right there. 

I wonder what the win probability would have been for Ravens if the game had gone to OT?  More or less than 27% I don't know but feel the only way the Ravens were going to win that game was on that play,

The alternative being- stop AR at the end of regulation, bank on a coin flip, you driving 75 yards against a top 8 defense with a back up QB, or you lose the coin flip and stop a HOF QB from walking off and beating you. 

We saw that Thursday night. 

• Like 1

Well if he had a good pulse on his team he would have know that they just failed doing the same thing a week before and now they failed again. They are 2-8 on 2pt conversions that is not good.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

How about giving your defense a chance at stopping them, it was going to be tied Rodgers wasn't going to be that aggresive. 🤣

So.. instead of two yards, a better plan (without question) was to give the ball to the HOF with the game tied and you beat them in OT? Crazy

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

But the chance was slim on that play. You take your chances on going into overtime, anything can happen then.

Yeah Rodgers kicking your a**

We all understand your pov. What we don't understand is you calling it a terrible decision. We understand kicking the PAT, for sure. But you literally said JH cost his team a chance to win, which is so ridiculously false. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

Well if he had a good pulse on his team he would have know that they just failed doing the same thing a week before and now they failed again. They are 2-8 on 2pt conversions that is not good.

The pulse during that game. Obviously things change during a game and you adjust accordingly. For every game prior I met with our coaches we talked that if we had the opportunity to win the game on a play or go into OT what we would do. If we knew we were the better team we planned on going to OT, if we did not feel we were we tried to win it in regulation. As a coach if you do what you feel ultimately is best for your team you don't regret it. 

• Like 1

But the chance was slim on that play. You take your chances on going into overtime, anything can happen then.

The chances are far less on going into OT with Packers. Anything can happen and on that 1 given play they could score 2, right even though they are 27%. You said it anything can happen. Too many things have to go your way to beat a team in OT that is better than you. Ask Auburn about that if their coach had the balls to go for 2 Bama might be home instead of #1 seed. The better team wins. 

• Like 2

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

The chances are far less on going into OT with Packers. Anything can happen and on that 1 given play they could score 2, right even though they are 27%. You said it anything can happen. Too many things have to go your way to beat a team in OT that is better than you. Ask Auburn about that if their coach had the balls to go for 2 Bama might be home instead of #1 seed. The better team wins. 

Omg! I said the same thing in that game! 

Also.. Tank B screwed that game away lol 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

And they didn't get them if i remember correctly. Sometimes coaches need to use common sense.

Do you have a problem if a coach draws up a good play to take a 3 at the end of the game instead of drawing up a play for a 2 to tie? Don't get me wrong...you can criticize either way...there is no guarantee they even make the extra point but I'm sure there was a much higher percentage chance. Some people are just more adverse to risk then others...and some might even say the riskier play was to go to OT against Aaron Rodgers with your back up qb and a patchwork defense. I don't think there is ever a 100% scenario either way....it's just a decision...and you have to go out and execute. Harbaugh has a super bowl in his back pocket....guy just likes to go for the win in these situations...I think everyone in the stands, on the team, and in the organization knew he would and support him because that is just his philosophy. I won't argue that there are definitely times that doesn't make sense...but I'll be honest...I like going for it in general....in fact with the right team I like going for 2 every time you score unless the analytics or you just need 1 to take the lead to win.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Omg! I said the same thing in that game! 

Also.. Tank B screwed that game away lol 

My son and I were screaming at the TV. Just like we were yesterday when we both thought going for 2 was the right call. On several occasions I have had the opportunity to play against the #1 team in the state and I have never won any of them. Been close a few times and got run out the gym a few as well. On 1 occasion we were down 2 with about 8 seconds to go and we had the ball called timeout to set up a play and all my assistants as well as players knew we were going for the win. We ran our best play for our best player to get a 3 for the win. The kid hits the shot and they call an away from the ball offensive foul. No one person on our team or coaching staff ever questioned going for the tie to force OT. I just don't understand anyone thinking that if we make this 1 play we can win especially if you are not the better team

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Totally agree and thought Auburn should have went for it as well. The thing is in college on the second series you HAVE to go for 2 anyways....you are going to have to go for 2 regardless...you might as well use your best play to win it right there then wait and use it later just to tie. The longer the game goes...the better team/talent usually wins out.

• Like 2

Just now, dgambill said:

Totally agree and thought Auburn should have went for it as well. The thing is in college on the second series you HAVE to go for 2 anyways....you are going to have to go for 2 regardless...you might as well use your best play to win it right there then wait and use it later just to tie. The longer the game goes...the better team/talent usually wins out.

Exactly and they proved that they had a great play because the scored on the 2pt conversion

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I don't what his record is after 2016 in overtime probably a lot better now, couldn't find it, but up until that point Rodgers was 0-7 in overtime so its not like he is perfect in them.

• Like 1

I think what we see here is just two different opinions and probably two different philosophies...neither necessarily being bad...just the difference of style and risk. There has been times I've been upset at Reich for going for it or not kicking field goals etc...but in the end I'm mostly settle on going for the win kind of guy. However, I know some are more conservative and that might be alright too. I know GB regretted not letting Rodgers go for it in the playoffs last year...it can just go both ways.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hoosier51 said:

I don't what his record is after 2016 in overtime probably a lot better now, couldn't find it, but up until that point Rodgers was 0-7 in overtime so its not like he is perfect in them.

I am not a gambling man but had the game gone to OT the Pack would have been a huge favorite to win. I am not against going for 1 but IMO going for 2 was the correct call for that situation. 

• Like 1

Fair point. I do think on 4 of them I believe he never touched the ball.....which goes to luck of the coin flip. Would rather be at the mercy of that or just take fate in your own hands and be in control of your destiny kind of thing lol. To each their own. Not sure anyone can convince anyone else on this subject...it's just engrained into them how they would do this stuff.

• Like 2

I am not a gambling man but had the game gone to OT the Pack would have been a huge favorite to win. I am not against going for 1 but IMO going for 2 was the correct call for that situation. 

And in my opnion it was a bad decision that cost his team at even having a chance to win lol.

Someone mentioned this earlier, but the real horrible decision by Harbaugh, if he was going to go for it, was to call a roll out. It cut the field in half regarding what the Packers' defense had to cover, it took away the ability for the quarterback to use his legs and potentially get in for two, and it sped the game up too much, especially for a rookie quarterback. If you watch the replay, there was a receiver crossing in the back of the end zone who was wide open. By rolling out, I don't think the quarterback could slow himself down enough to be able look back and find the guy.

In retrospect, Harbaugh did what Harbaugh does. But as for the argument that he knew/knows his team well enough to know this was their best chance to win, he certainly did no favors for a rookie quarterback to give him the best chance to succeed.

• Like 2