2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Two weeks ago v the Steelers, I agreed with Harbaugh going for two points. Had they made it, there's no way that the Steelers are getting down the field in 11 seconds for a game winning field goal.

Yesterday, I would have played for the tie and sent the game into overtime. I think that a Rodgers led team down one point with 42 seconds to go is much more dangerous, and would take whatever risks necessary to win, v a tied Rodgers team with 42 seconds to go who knew they could extend the game into overtime. Being down by one would have made Rodgers take chances, and the Packers would have gone for it regardless, whereas tied, if they needed to punt they would have done so.

Another big weekend for the Colts and not just in the win column. Chargers and Titans losses were huge. 

Chargers schedule the rest of the way isn't the toughest @Hou, Den, @LV. They'll be favored in all those. 

Everyone else in the hunt has tougher matchups. 

Colts are massive 9er fans this weekend.  

28 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Two weeks ago v the Steelers, I agreed with Harbaugh going for two points. Had they made it, there's no way that the Steelers are getting down the field in 11 seconds for a game winning field goal.

Yesterday, I would have played for the tie and sent the game into overtime. I think that a Rodgers led team down one point with 42 seconds to go is much more dangerous, and would take whatever risks necessary to win, v a tied Rodgers team with 42 seconds to go who knew they could extend the game into overtime. Being down by one would have made Rodgers take chances, and the Packers would have gone for it regardless, whereas tied, if they needed to punt they would have done so.

What if you don't win the coin flip? 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Another big weekend for the Colts and not just in the win column. Chargers and Titans losses were huge. 

Chargers schedule the rest of the way isn't the toughest @Hou, Den, @LV. They'll be favored in all those. 

Everyone else in the hunt has tougher matchups. 

Colts are massive 9er fans this weekend.  

What if you don't win the coin flip? 

Then you stop them on defense and at worst make them kick a field goal. They had stopped them on the previous drive, and under this scenario, would have stopped them a second time at the end of the game. As I said, when not being behind, there's a chance that the Packers are not quite as aggressive when tied v being behind. Maybe they don't go for it on fourth down as an example. IMO, a desperate Aaron Rodgers is much more dangerous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a firm believer that most coaches if told you can make 1 play and win the game , they would take that. Never give Rodgers the ball or Brady or back in the day Manning in those situations. Especially with the back up QB an a defensive team that had been on the field a lot. In OT the offense has a huge advantage.

To win the Ravens needed 3 yards. To win in OT you would have to do a whole lot more to get that win

• Like 4

So much goes into all that stuff. Do you have a play you feel really good about. Player personnel. How gassed is your defense. Do you have them reeling? Is that just part of your DNA...to go for it and the players are used to performing and prepared for that type of play. I don't really have a problem either way in that situation....you have to live with it either way. I'd say not having Lamar on that type of play is a huge loss though. Threat of him running is much better and would have probably put the defense in another scheme...but it is what it is. I never felt like Baltimore was going to win that game yesterday. I think they found themselves with a chance to win a game they likely didn't think they would be in position to win...and went for it. They have their conference for the taking still with matchups with Cincy and Pitt still. 

• Like 2

How does everyone feel about the NFL changing game times etc for COVID? I'm really not feeling it. If they want to change the testing/clearance rules so be it but you move a game 2 and 3 days for one team because they have a whole bunch of positives including their qb like say Cleveland but now what happens if Derek Carr comes down with Covid tomorrow....they won't delay it again...not sure how that would be fair to LV? Perhaps they should just expand practice squad and reduce the time for clearance for these games or something because somehow I don't know if it is fair to push all these games back...and let teams clear their players but maybe not the opponents...or now the opponent will have a short week to prepare for their next game. Personally I think this was a network thing...to get more football on a non-tv night.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am a firm believer that most coaches if told you can make 1 play and win the game , they would take that. Never give Rodgers the ball or Brady or back in the day Manning in those situations. Especially with the back up QB an a defensive team that had been on the field a lot. In OT the offense has a huge advantage.

To win the Ravens needed 3 yards. To win in OT you would have to do a whole lot more to get that win

Yes. 

Going into the game if someone told Harbaugh, you're going to be Lamar less, but you'll have a 2pt conversion with 40 secs left to put you up one. 

Dude signs that in blood. 

We went for two down one in the semi state in 2016. Didn't get it. But we wanted no part of the other team in an OT scenario by HS rules. 

Also.. and this goes for a lot of "decisions". That's just a decision. Singular. It didn't lose them the game, or even close to it. Idk if I'm explaining myself well, but no one in the Ravens organization today is talking about/upset with the decision to go for two. 

Just how I see it. 

Also 28 for MVP. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yes. 

Going into the game if someone told Harbaugh, you're going to be Lamar less, but you'll have a 2pt conversion with 40 secs left to put you up one. 

Dude signs that in blood. 

We went for two down one in the semi state in 2016. Didn't get it. But we wanted no part of the other team in an OT scenario by HS rules. 

Also.. and this goes for a lot of "decisions". That's just a decision. Singular. It didn't lose them the game, or even close to it. Idk if I'm explaining myself well, but no one in the Ravens organization today is talking about/upset with the decision to go for two. 

Just how I see it. 

Also 28 for MVP. 

I dislike Bill Belichick as much as anyone else but the man knows a little about football. He went for it on 4th and 2 deep in own territory because he said if they get those 2 yards they win. If not Peyton was going to beat them regardless of where they gave him the ball. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I dislike Bill Belichick as much as anyone else but the man knows a little about football. He went for it on 4th and 2 deep in own territory because he said if they get those 2 yards they win. If not Peyton was going to beat them regardless of where they gave him the ball. 

And they didn't get them if i remember correctly. Sometimes coaches need to use common sense.

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Especially in Indy. I think Rodgers beats them regardless, honestly. But, Crosby has mightly struggled this year 🤷‍♂️

Idk, if someone doesnt think they should go for two, or whatever. That's fine. More than reasonable opinion. But, it's certainly not some egregiously terrible decision that should have never of been made. 

They went for it, didn't execute and lost. That's life in the NFL. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Especially in Indy. I think Rodgers beats them regardless, honestly. But, Crosby has mightly struggled this year 🤷‍♂️

Idk, if someone doesnt think they should go for two, or whatever. That's fine. More than reasonable opinion. But, it's certainly not some egregiously terrible decision that should have never of been made. 

It was a terrible decision that shouldn't have been made. H e has cost his team a chance at a victory twice lately.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

And they didn't get them if i remember correctly. Sometimes coaches need to use common sense.

My point. He knows his team better than us watching and he knew they were going to lose if Manning got the ball. Just like Harbaugh knew the Ravens would lose if Rodgers got the ball in OT. Common sense says that if you play long enough the better team wins. OT the Packers win that game 9 of 10. I have no issue with the call to go for 2

• Like 2

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

My point. He knows his team better than us watching and he knew they were going to lose if Manning got the ball. Just like Harbaugh knew the Ravens would lose if Rodgers got the ball in OT. Common sense says that if you play long enough the better team wins. OT the Packers win that game 9 of 10. I have no issue with the call to go for 2

This!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The bigger issue was going for it on the 1st possession, more so than on the last 2pt conversion IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, dgambill said:

How does everyone feel about the NFL changing game times etc for COVID? I'm really not feeling it. If they want to change the testing/clearance rules so be it but you move a game 2 and 3 days for one team because they have a whole bunch of positives including their qb like say Cleveland but now what happens if Derek Carr comes down with Covid tomorrow....they won't delay it again...not sure how that would be fair to LV? Perhaps they should just expand practice squad and reduce the time for clearance for these games or something because somehow I don't know if it is fair to push all these games back...and let teams clear their players but maybe not the opponents...or now the opponent will have a short week to prepare for their next game. Personally I think this was a network thing...to get more football on a non-tv night.

Mayfield and Keenum both didn't clear protocals today so they are still out. Nick Mullens will be starting for them.

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

All that is fine but like i have said when you are bad at it just kick the xp, they are at 27% on 2pt conversions so the chances are high they weren't going to make it. I think they are 100% on xp.

Edited by Hoosier51