2023 NFL Discussion

rico

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

As long as Carson Wentz is the starting quarterback, the Colts will be a mediocre team 

Basically, couldn't disagree with this more. We saw the same defense the last 4 weeks with the last two the OL playing pathetically. 

Goodness the Cards game the OL played fairly well, compared to the last two for sure, there's not much to say. 

Raiders are bad against the run, and we didn't dominate them, and then today... thats one of the worst OL performances I can ever remember.

Wentz will not play well with poor OL player. Won't happen. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

If Reich is back another thing he needs to correct is getting off to better starts of the season.  We can't start 1-4 or 1-5 that he had done in two of his seasons.

He needs his team to be healthy and not play one of the toughest schedules ever, to start a season... but yes, I agree. 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He didn't bring in another WR or CB that we really needed. 

Our corners, when healthy, as a unit is very solid. Rock had a great year, Moore, and Rodgers.. plus Rhodes. 

I agree, there isn't a "1" there... but when that group is healthy it's more than adequate. 

Yes, Wr needs addressed. Campbell's situation is unfortunate. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well Seattle wasn't that good this year do the loss wasn't good. Also no way we should have gone 4-5 at home this year no matter who we played.

First of all, agree, cannot allow losses to TB, Oakland, Titans to happen. Yep agree. No question. 

You are wrong about Seattle though and I'll tell you why.... 

My wife and I both are HUGE into fantasy, we both have Russell in fantasy and we were watching when he got hurt, she's an athletic trainer and immediately when she saw the replay and saw his finger... she said "mallet finger, he is done for the year" 

She heard he was coming back like 6 weeks later and laughed her ass off and said he won't be close to the same, this season. 

Anyways... Seattle blew a game against Titans week 2, at home. They are no worse than a playoff team, in the NFC if he doesn't get hurt. 

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Ballard will have a lot of questions to answer to Irsay.

Is Wentz the QB to take this team to the next level?

Is Frank Reich the right coach?

How do address the lack of a deep threat?

Is the defensive coach the right guy?

And many more....

#4 will not, or even close to be, a question thats asked. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Ballard will have a lot of questions to answer to Irsay.

Is Wentz the QB to take this team to the next level?

Is Frank Reich the right coach?

How do address the lack of a deep threat?

Is the defensive coach the right guy?

And many more....

I really think we need a new defensive coordinator.  He is to vanilla and can't get pressure on the QB.  If we create turnovers then the defense is fine but when we don't we give up long drives.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Basically, couldn't disagree with this more. We saw the same defense the last 4 weeks with the last two the OL playing pathetically. 

Goodness the Cards game the OL played fairly well, compared to the last two for sure, there's not much to say. 

Raiders are bad against the run, and we didn't dominate them, and then today... thats one of the worst OL performances I can ever remember.

Wentz will not play well with poor OL player. Won't happen. 

Yet the guy you call a quitter, Andrew Luck, carried his team while getting the snot beat out of him, playing behind a horrible line.

That’s a franchise quarterback…a guy good enough to overcome his team’s weaknesses.

Wentz will never be that guy. As you said, he won’t ever overcome a bad game by his teammates 

• Like 1

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

Yet the guy you call a quitter, Andrew Luck, carried his team while getting the snot beat out of him, playing behind a horrible line.

That’s a franchise quarterback…a guy good enough to overcome his team’s weaknesses.

Wentz will never be that guy. As you said, he won’t ever overcome a bad game by his teammates 

I agree with everything you stated here. Other than, the definition of a franchise QB. 

If we are comparing Luck to Wentz, goodness Steu.. I'd never be dumb enough to do that. Andrew Luck was a HOF and Wentz isnt a Pro Bowler, but we are built around the idea of Wentz winning us games, consistently. 

Luck vs Wentz isn't a thing. Luck wins by a lot. I just wasn't happy with the "timing of his retirement". Either you retire before April, or you don't retire in my book, again, just my opinion. You can disagree, doesn't make me wrong though. Just opinions. Anyway, Luck was a top 3-4 QB in the league when he retired. 

So now, to me, the fact Ballard and Reich have been able to even make us remotely competitive after that happened... yeah, impressive. I'm impressed by that. Now, at the same time, I'm not happy what happened the last two weeks, late vs TB, late vs Titans. I don't blame Balt on them. The other games, yeah thats BS. 

First three weeks everyone should agree, our injuries, coupled with familiarity with Wentz was a huge factor and literally will not be ok in 2022. 

Ffs I just didn't expect a SB this year. Fix it next year, if not, we move on. We saw ENOUGH glimpses of REALLY good football to give them that. 11-5 last year was truthfully, lucky. 

• Like 1

The roster is full of dudes. Ballard couldn't afford to gamble on a rookie. He needed a Wentz, then build an elite roster. And s*** he almost did if Blackmon and Campbell don't get injured. 

Wentz is overpaid. Thats not all Ballard fault, because he needed the closet thing possible to a "win now" or at closet thing, QB. And Det asked a lot. 

Wouldn't surprise me if Wentz takes a pay cut. Or after this contract he does. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I agree with everything you stated here. Other than, the definition of a franchise QB. 

If we are comparing Luck to Wentz, goodness Steu.. I'd never be dumb enough to do that. Andrew Luck was a HOF and Wentz isnt a Pro Bowler, but we are built around the idea of Wentz winning us games, consistently. 

Luck vs Wentz isn't a thing. Luck wins by a lot. I just wasn't happy with the "timing of his retirement". Either you retire before April, or you don't retire in my book, again, just my opinion. You can disagree, doesn't make me wrong though. Just opinions. Anyway, Luck was a top 3-4 QB in the league when he retired. 

So now, to me, the fact Ballard and Reich have been able to even make us remotely competitive after that happened... yeah, impressive. I'm impressed by that. Now, at the same time, I'm not happy what happened the last two weeks, late vs TB, late vs Titans. I don't blame Balt on them. The other games, yeah thats BS. 

First three weeks everyone should agree, our injuries, coupled with familiarity with Wentz was a huge factor and literally will not be ok in 2022. 

Ffs I just didn't expect a SB this year. Fix it next year, if not, we move on. We saw ENOUGH glimpses of REALLY good football to give them that. 11-5 last year was truthfully, lucky. 

S***. Meant to say, we aren't built around the idea of Wentz being the guy. 

Just now, dgambill said:

Neither team has a franchise qb. I wouldn’t be dancing if I’m Philly…they are the worst playoff team I think I’ve ever seen…well outside of Pittsburg. This letting another wild card in is beneficial for more intrigue but gosh these are bad teams.

Meh, we're not great but great wasn't the goal this year. The Eagles were supposed to be horrible, but we ended up with the the best running game in the NFL, a top 3 offensive line, a young, dynamic receiving corp and a good defense. 

We own 3 first round picks and have a much better salary cap situation. 

All the pieces are there to continue to build around what we have or go all in on QB's like Wilson, Watson (if he's actually eligible to play), etc. 

My expectations are not that the Eagles are going to make a SB run or even win next weekend, but with that said I also wouldn't love playing a team like the Eagles (excellent running game and really solid defense) in the Wild Card round. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Meh, we're not great but great wasn't the goal this year. The Eagles were supposed to be horrible, but we ended up with the the best running game in the NFL, a top 3 offensive line, a young, dynamic receiving corp and a good defense. 

We own 3 first round picks and have a much better salary cap situation. 

All the pieces are there to continue to build around what we have or go all in on QB's like Wilson, Watson (if he's actually eligible to play), etc. 

My expectations are not that the Eagles are going to make a SB run or even win next weekend, but with that said I also wouldn't love playing a team like the Eagles (excellent running game and really solid defense) in the Wild Card round. 

Yep. We feel the same. Our overall roster is accelerated compared to you, but you have more draft capital. 

Literally, this wasn't "a year" for the Colts, but now, next year is a must. Have to legitimately compete. Not a SB, but a true factor the whole year. 

I'm not trying to make this an Egales vs Colts argument. I truly don't see that either team lost. Colts couldn't get Lawrence. Don't want Fields, Wilson, or Lance. Mac Jones is fine for the Pats, idk that he's a fit in Indy. 

Colts are also relatively young. So is Wentz for a QB. Idk. I still am fine with the trade. We still have cap room. 

• Like 1