2023 NFL Discussion

rico

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll take a Harbaugh/Fangio combination by 5pm and call it a day. 

The "dabearsblog" guy who said Pace was out last week, when most Chicago reporters were saying the opposite, is stating that Ted Phillips will be retiring in 2023 and the new GM/coach will be reporting directly to ownership. He also stated that the past few weeks (months?) the Bears hired actual intelligent football people to analyze their team/structure...so hopefully this all results in ownership actually listening.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

All day long. Flores hits the road because the GM stinks. He'll be hired very quickly.

I have a media member colleague from my old Celtics days that I'm friends with on Facebook. He's a longtime Miami guy and was only in Boston for a few years. He's been back in Miami for the last 15 years or so at least. 

Anyways he's connected, and literally just this morning posted on Facebook that Flores should be in the COY running. 

That's how bad of a move this was and how out of left field it was. 

• Like 4

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

The "dabearsblog" guy who said Pace was out last week, when most Chicago reporters were saying the opposite, is stating that Ted Phillips will be retiring in 2023 and the new GM/coach will be reporting directly to ownership. He also stated that the past few weeks (months?) the Bears hired actual intelligent football people to analyze their team/structure...so hopefully this all results in ownership actually listening.

Cool! He must be reading us on here! Haha. I've long thought the Bears needed to hire a guy like Polian or whomever just to come in, take a look at the books, cap space moving forward, picks,etc... and just lay out a blueprint for the team. Sounds like they are doing that which is a good first step.

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

I have a media member colleague from my old Celtics days that I'm friends with on Facebook. He's a longtime Miami guy and was only in Boston for a few years. He's been back in Miami for the last 15 years or so at least. 

Anyways he's connected, and literally just this morning posted on Facebook that Flores should be in the COY running. 

All my Canes guys I follow on twitter are absolutely shocked. Never in a million years saw this coming.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Cool! He must be reading us on here! Haha. I've long thought the Bears needed to hire a guy like Polian or whomever just to come in, take a look at the books, cap space moving forward, picks,etc... and just lay out a blueprint for the team. Sounds like they are doing that which is a good first step.

https://twitter.com/dabearsblog

@Seeking6 and other Bears fans might like reading some of this

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I was somewhat surprised by the Vikings GM move, but this one completely shocked me. I hope Miami ends up with a complete bust of a coach now. Also, maybe the Jaguars will hire him and keep him in Florida?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t think there's even much wrong with Zimmer. He's done about as well as you can expect with Kirk Cousins as his QB. 

Made some playoffs, missed a couple, etc., but always competitive. 

The issue in Minny has been the QB, not the coach. Not saying Cousins is awful, but these are the results you get with him as your QB. 

Kirk Cousins might not be Joe Montana...but he isn't chopped liver. The guy threw for 4200 yds 33 TDs to 7 int. No he isn't Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes...but he is definitely good enough to win with. The problem was their defense this year. You are suppose to have a defensive guru coach....the Vikings had the worst run defense in the league....AND the worst PASS defense in the league....that's a special kind of bad to be worst at BOTH.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Maybe Watson doesn't want to play for him?? Honestly this was the worst move I've think I've ever seen. I know the Reich/Wentz connection will have one more year to evaluate but dang I'd take Flores. I say one more year because the last two are not guaranteed on Wentz contract but I assume they will give him a full healthy offseason to show what he can do.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

In regards to the Vikings. I have a brother who lives in the Twin Cities who says that the criticism of Spielman, the GM has been incessant the last few years over the amount they paid Cousins. Really hamstrung the franchise from spending on other areas of need.

As far as their defensive deficiencies this year--they were killed by injuries. They were also already somewhat thin in the secondary, and the Breland self-imploded and they let him go. Patrick Peterson was supposed to be an upgrade, but as the season progressed, it was clear to see he is losing the race with Father Time.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

They want Harbaugh. Issue between GM coach and QB was called unfixable 

Could be smokescreen, but early indications from the media, etc., seem like this was unrelated to Harbaugh. 

Still a dumb move. Let's keep the GM who chose Tua over Herbert and keep the guy who is their best coach since the early 2000's and wanted Herbert. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Bill Polian and Dungy are at least two of the people consulting with them. 

• Like 1

I have been thinking about this....if I am the new Bears GM, my first priority would be trying to land Harbaugh. If that couldn't happen I think I would definitely consider Flores as head coach...I'm not saying I would for sure hire him, but bring him in and interview him. He did a lot in Miami without a ton of talent. I believe he was 4-2 against Belichick also.

• Like 1