2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Man.  The Colts fans on here have gone cuckoo.  Making knee jerk moves have just as much chance to blow up in your face than they do of working out.  

The foundation is there.  Other teams feared getting the he Colts in the playoffs all the way up until the Jacksonville debacle.  Tweak it.  Making a coaching change is NOT tweaking.  

Rodgers would be a great short term upgrade at QB, but he ain't coming to Indy.  Russ couldn't find a way to utilize DK Metcalf.  That's a red flag with him. 

Who else out there is a 'guaranteed' upgrade at QB.  Bail on Wentz and you may end up with Andy Dalton or Teddy Bridgewater. Lol.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My question for people who are more in tune with the NFL than I am, is, which of these candidates would be the best for Justin Fields growth as a QB? 

I'm not high on Harbaugh, and I know nothing about any of the GM candidates, so no comment their...

But, my money is on the McCaskeys screwing up both hires by going cheap, and another 4 years of mediocrity...

Well didn't Harbaugh coach Luck at Stanford?

Just now, rico said:

Well didn't Harbaugh coach Luck at Stanford?

He did, but Luck isn't  the same kind of QB as Fields is...Not sure how well Harbaugh would coach one of the new "hybrid" QBs like Murray or Jackson...

Maybe some of my thinking on Harbaugh is clouded by my hope that he would stay at Michigan...I always like seeing guys return to their roots...I thought he was in it for the long haul...

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My question for people who are more in tune with the NFL than I am, is, which of these candidates would be the best for Justin Fields growth as a QB? 

I'm not high on Harbaugh, and I know nothing about any of the GM candidates, so no comment their...

But, my money is on the McCaskeys screwing up both hires by going cheap, and another 4 years of mediocrity...

You know we agree and have spoken about McCaskeys screwing it up.

My "wishlist" based on what I have read and seen is for GM to be:

Ed Dodds or Rick Smith for GM (I would be good with Ireland as long as it is a package deal with Harbaugh)

For head coach:

Harbaugh is my first choice.

I would be happy with Flores or Bowles, provided they come with a solid plan on their OC and how they would develop Fields.

I go back and forth with Josh McDaniels...he is such a giant douche and I hate what he did to the Colts, but I think he would work magic with Fields. But in the end, I just don't trust him.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We had a top 3 o-line, one bad game doesn't change that. A QB1 that can't pass for 200 yards is detrimental to your health. 

I know you're the QB defender and always want to say it's anyone but the QBs fault, but Wentz was atrocious. There's no way around that. 

Back to back games the OL was destroyed. 

You want to talk about boys and men, lets do it.... the OL looked like BOYS vs. Oakland and Jags. Little kids that couldn't block a sole. We gave up 20 pressures on 28 dropbacks vs. Oakland. 

75% of the time, Wentz saw pressure. 

Edited by btownqb

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Man.  The Colts fans on here have gone cuckoo.  Making knee jerk moves have just as much chance to blow up in your face than they do of working out.  

The foundation is there.  Other teams feared getting the he Colts in the playoffs all the way up until the Jacksonville debacle.  Tweak it.  Making a coaching change is NOT tweaking.  

Rodgers would be a great short term upgrade at QB, but he ain't coming to Indy.  Russ couldn't find a way to utilize DK Metcalf.  That's a red flag with him. 

Who else out there is a 'guaranteed' upgrade at QB.  Bail on Wentz and you may end up with Andy Dalton or Teddy Bridgewater. Lol.

not cuckoo, and my opinion on Wentz is not just based on this past year as a Colt. He was broken with the Eagles. Two years of mediocre play is enough to show me that an upgrade wouldn't be that far fetched. 

Cuckoo would be keeping the same  pieces intact and expecting different results.

24 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

not cuckoo, and my opinion on Wentz is not just based on this past year as a Colt. He was broken with the Eagles. Two years of mediocre play is enough to show me that an upgrade wouldn't be that far fetched. 

Cuckoo would be keeping the same  pieces intact and expecting different results.

How is 27/7, 2nd in INT rate, top 10 in QBR and top 15 in passer rating mediocre? 

I would categorize it as exactly what you should expect or hope for with a WR core like that. 

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

This is kinda where i stand at the moment. There isnt a Manning or Luck (or Herbert/Burrow) in this draft and to get an upgrade at qb will cost Indy the next 2-4 drafts. Wentz on 2 sprained ankles is more mobile than Rivers was and Rivers arm was shot last year and he still got us to the playoffs.  I will happily eat my words next year if proven wrong, but Wentz aint it. Give me Minshew, the backup at Baltimore or even Jamis Winston over Wentz. Somebody with the ability to make something happen that isnt throwing a pick inside the 5 on a shovel pass.....i just dont know how we get that guy because our current team shouldnt be bad enough to get a top draft pick. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

It goes without question that the Colts need some new/different pieces.  At this point I don't see the QB as one of them and I was as pissed at his play the last 2 games as anyone.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yes, we saw enough good football to have no problem moving forward with our current roster make up, plus growing it. I've stated .... 11-6 or we probably need to move on from Wentz and maybe Reich. I'm not happy about the last two weeks, and I'm really not happy about Wentz's play 3 of the last 4 games, but my goodness these are knee jerk reactions. 

The defensive game plan was so simple for those two teams the last two weeks. Then you throw in the OL being dog poop and Wentz sucking, yeah, not good. 

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He did, but Luck isn't  the same kind of QB as Fields is...Not sure how well Harbaugh would coach one of the new "hybrid" QBs like Murray or Jackson...

Maybe some of my thinking on Harbaugh is clouded by my hope that he would stay at Michigan...I always like seeing guys return to their roots...I thought he was in it for the long haul...

I am sure Jim knows how to deal with a "hybrid" 

I wouldn't say I am lobbying for Harbaugh perse but rather I would prefer to have someone of his ilk.  He is a proven winner in the NFL as an HC.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

I am sure Jim knows how to deal with a "hybrid" 

I wouldn't say I am lobbying for Harbaugh perse but rather I would prefer to have someone of his ilk.  He is a proven winner in the NFL as an HC.

I've always perceived him as kinda headstrong if you know what I mean...I think anyone the McCaskeys can't manipulate wouldn't be a good fit...They learned their lesson with Ditka...

My gut feeling is they'll go with another up and coming coordinator who they can get on the cheap...

• Like 2

Saw Jeff Saturday on ESPN. He said the Colts have to move on from Wentz. Said they brought the guy in to make winning plays and other than one throw against AZ, he didn’t do that all year. Keyshawn Johnson said they should give Wentz one more year, but sign a veteran backup as an insurance policy if it starts to go south again next year. 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've always perceived him as kinda headstrong if you know what I mean...I think anyone the McCaskeys can't manipulate wouldn't be a good fit...They learned their lesson with Ditka...

My gut feeling is they'll go with another up and coming coordinator who they can get on the cheap...

Exactly my fear. That is why I want a Rick Smith or Dodds as GM and Harbaugh/Flores as head coach.

This is what the new GM needs to do to George/Ted...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Saw Jeff Saturday on ESPN. He said the Colts have to move on from Wentz. Said they brought the guy in to make winning plays and other than one throw against AZ, he didn’t do that all year. Keyshawn Johnson said they should give Wentz one more year, but sign a veteran backup as an insurance policy if it starts to go south again next year. 

Saturday then went on to say the Colts should go get Kirk Cousins!?!?

That's a lateral move that will just cost the Colts even more. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Exactly my fear. That is why I want a Rick Smith or Dodds as GM and Harbaugh/Flores as head coach.

This is what the new GM needs to do to George/Ted...

After reading a bit, Flores does indeed sound like a solid candidate...

I've long believed that no matter what the circumstance, running, ball control, and defense are the ways to win in Chicago (although I do realize that the first 2 are out of vogue in the NFL...

At least the 2 championships the Bears have won in my lifetime were won that way :D ...

I think Justin Fields has the tools to be a great QB...But I thought that about Bobby Douglass, Vince Evans, blah, blah, blah, too...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

After reading a bit, Flores does indeed sound like a solid candidate...

I've long believed that no matter what the circumstance, running, ball control, and defense are the ways to win in Chicago (although I do realize that the first 2 are out of vogue in the NFL...

At least the 2 championships the Bears have won in my lifetime were won that way :D ...

I think Justin Fields has the tools to be a great QB...But I thought that about Bobby Douglass, Vince Evans, blah, blah, blah, too...

Ha...Mitch Trubisky, Rex Grossman, etc.

I don't want the up and comer OC/DC for head coach. Nagy was that.

No "outside the box" coach...or we might end up with another Marc Trestman situation on our hands.

Harbaugh had success in NFL as head coach and understands the Bears culture and McCaskeys.

I would argue Flores had success as NFL coach in Miami...maybe he didn't have stellar winning percentage, but how many coaches would have done as well as him with that roster?

Bowles didn't have success with Jets, but come on...they are the Jets ha.

Bears need someone with a little bit of an attitude and fire. They don't need to hire a "nice guy" or "yes man" to the McCaskeys, they need to hire a winner.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am with you but what capital do the Colts have to make it work. I just dont see a better option out there. I think it is Wentz or bust 

Then bust. We have a window and need to shoot our shot, if it doesn't work out then take a rebuilding year. But the reality is if you cut Wentz and strikeout on Rodgers and Russ, Wentz didn't exactly do anything you can't find at a replacement level on the open market. 

Even @btownqb thinks we are overrating what impact QBs have, so if that's the case you don't lose much by rolling the dice on getting an elite guy and replacing Wentz with just an average guy and saving money. 

31 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Saturday then went on to say the Colts should go get Kirk Cousins!?!?

That's a lateral move that will just cost the Colts even more. 

Sure, but if your worst case scenario if you move on from Wentz and you can get a guy like Cousins as a fallback then you do it, even if the fallback costs more. Colts are in a position to win now, sans the QB and HC.