2023 NFL Discussion

rico

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yep. We feel the same. Our overall roster is accelerated compared to you, but you have more draft capital. 

Literally, this wasn't "a year" for the Colts, but now, next year is a must. Have to legitimately compete. Not a SB, but a true factor the whole year. 

I'm not trying to make this an Egales vs Colts argument. I truly don't see that either team lost. Colts couldn't get Lawrence. Don't want Fields, Wilson, or Lance. Mac Jones is fine for the Pats, idk that he's a fit in Indy. 

Colts are also relatively young. So is Wentz for a QB. Idk. I still am fine with the trade. We still have cap room. 

Yup! Similar to the Colts, the Eagles are building a team. Getting a Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc., is really, really hard and you have to get incredibly lucky. 

So the alternative is building a phenomenal team (offensive line, defensive line, skill guys and defense) around a good, cheap first contract quarterback. 

It's what Seattle did those early years with Russ, Dallas did with Prescott (though now they had to pay him) and the Rams went to a SB with Goff. 

I don't think Hurts is the long-term answer for the Eagles, but while they look for the answer we have one of the best offensive lines, a top running game, an emerging stud WR and a great TE, to go with an excellent defensive line and solid secondary. 

That's a winning formula that will just get better as Hurts improves and buys the Eagles time to find the right QB.  

Same thing the Colts did while they looked for Luck's replacement. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Yeah, I dont think too many teams will be going QB in the first round. It won't be like last seasons draft. 

Like every draft some stupid team will pick a QB way to high   I never understood the phylosophy of  over reaching for a QB.  I always think you pick the BPA early in the draft

43 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Neither team has a franchise qb. I wouldn’t be dancing if I’m Philly…they are the worst playoff team I think I’ve ever seen…well outside of Pittsburg. This letting another wild card in is beneficial for more intrigue but gosh these are bad teams.

The Bears were probably worse last year as the NFC 7th seed at 8-8...and I say that as a big Bears fan, but last seasons Bears were mediocre at best.

I don't like the 7th playoff team either...I thought 6 teams in each conference was about perfect. I'm sure it is only a matter of time before the NFL has 8 teams in each conference in the playoffs and no byes.

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I am finding myself pulling for the Raiders tonight.

Those men have been through a lot, Carr is repeatedly criticized etc.

Kinda hope they pull this out tonight. 

Same! ESPN did a piece on Carr this morning and I came away really rooting for him. He's provided much of the leadership to keep that team together and from imploding. 

• Like 1

Most know I'm a Bears guy first. Love the city of Indy and Colts second. That crap can never never ever happen. No longer the coach the is a good guy, no longer the gm understands what he's doing....operational failure getting beat by that organization today. Another year, another year of blaming 12 for quitting....going on 4 or 5 years??

• Like 2

Colts need to make some major changes. The head coach and quarterback cost the team far too many games this season and were brutal down the stretch. 

I was talking to friend that thinks those two are fine and pointed to teams like the Ravens SB teams or the Bucs with Johnson - the difference is those teams didn't have QBs like Wentz, they had the polar opposite. Wentz wants so badly to be an elite guy that he doesn't know when to cut his loses on a given play. Reich coaches this team like it has to outscore everyone, not a team that has an elite run game and a defense that doesn't give up big plays and forces turnovers. 

• Like 2

Been watching football for 40 years. Don't think I recall a last day of regular season like that one. The number of things that happened, how they happened, how they unfolded.....going to take a lot to process all the decisions.

Still have zero answers for the Colts. That just can't happen. I find myself in weird position with Reich/Ballard. I think they are good but this is results business. 4 years in. 1 playoff win is what the record says. Not sure what to do with that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Been watching football for 40 years. Don't think I recall a last day of regular season like that one. The number of things that happened, how they happened, how they unfolded.....going to take a lot to process all the decisions.

Still have zero answers for the Colts. That just can't happen. I find myself in weird position with Reich/Ballard. I think they are good but this is results business. 4 years in. 1 playoff win is what the record says. Not sure what to do with that. 

I like Ballard and think he's built a good roster, so I'm curious how tied he and Reich are to each other. Sometimes in the NFL you see that as a package deal, sometimes it's not. 

I can say I've never been high on Reich and this year really hammered home for me that this guy ain't it. He makes far too many baffling decisions, and now has hitched his wagon to his boy Wentz who really, really ain't it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Colts should've stuck with Pinter the last two weeks. Kelly wasn't his usual self and that hurt the entire line. Fisher is awful too. The problem the Colts have is that they have holes and not a lot of ways that they can fix those holes this off-season. 

I think they can fix the holes, I just don't think they will. They've got a really good roster in place, similar to the Rams last offseason; the Rams put their chips on the table and went all in and it very well may pay off. I don't think the Colts have the requisite stones to do so. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I think they can fix the holes, I just don't think they will. They've got a really good roster in place, similar to the Rams last offseason; the Rams put their chips on the table and went all in and it very well may pay off. I don't think the Colts have the requisite stones to do so. 

The Colts will have their salary cap tied up after they pay Nelson and they don't have any draft capital. How are they going to fix those holes? They'll be able to do some things but not a lot. 

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Colts should've stuck with Pinter the last two weeks. Kelly wasn't his usual self and that hurt the entire line. Fisher is awful too. The problem the Colts have is that they have holes and not a lot of ways that they can fix those holes this off-season. 

Noticed that, as well. I felt bad for Ryan. We have a pretty substantial amount of money this off season.