2023 NFL Discussion

rico

24 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Are Dorsey or Riddick in play for any GM openings? Seem like they would be high on lists IMO

It was said online that some of these personnel guys don't have agents, and that's who makes the "Blah blah blah has requested an interview with blah blah blah" announcement. So some guys are getting interviews, you just might not hear about it. Although, I understand you're talking about some guys who are not currently personnel either. I was making more of an overall statement about how this stuff is publicized. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I had NFL Sunday ticket this year.  Trust me when I say Ryan is a downgrade (and an old one) as well.  Jimmy G is the only one on that list that could be reasonably considered both realistic and an upgrade.

The 49ers are playing well too, if they mess around and win a playoff game or two Jimmy G might not be going anywhere. 

I know people are in love with Trey Lance, but that team is built to win now and there's a reason they preferred throwing an injured Garrappolo out there Sunday vs a healthy Lance. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Rodgers and Russ aren't happening. Dalton, Fitzpatrick, Files and Winston are downgrades. 

So basically, Ryan and Garrapolo?

Why aren't Rodgers or Russ happening? There's a very real chance they're both in new situations next year and Indy will be one of the top spots a QB would want to go. 

41 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Do you seriously believe that Ryan, Dalton, Fitzpatrick, Foles, and Winston are better than Wentz?

Rodgers ain't coming.  Russ would likely prefer somewhere else as well.

So, from your list, Jimmy G is the only potential upgrade that I see.

Ryan is without question better than Wentz.

The other guys I don't think are better, that wasn't my point. My point was if you move on and you strike out on the guys who are better you end up with guys that aren't massive downgrades. We know Wentz isn't good enough to get it done; another year with him is another year of wasting JT. 

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Why aren't Rodgers or Russ happening? There's a very real chance they're both in new situations next year and Indy will be one of the top spots a QB would want to go. 

Russ isn't coming. He wants big market or QB guru such as Sean Payton. Rodgers isn't either, Indy isn't what he's looking for, and for both the price tag would be high. 

Indy definitely has the team for them, just don't think the market fit is there, especially for Russ. Ciara does not want Indy. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Ryan is without question better than Wentz.

Ryan USED to be better than Wentz.  No question.  Joe Montana used to be better than Wentz as well.  But, as if 2022, neither of those guys is.

From your list, Rodgers, Wilson, and Jimmy G are better.  That's it.  If the Colts can bring one of them in, more power to them.  I personally dont see the first two as possibilities.  And, as @BGleasalluded to if the 49ers make a playoff run, Jimmy G gets quite a bit more expensive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Ryan USED to be better than Wentz.  No question.  Joe Montana used to be better than Wentz as well.  But, as if 2022, neither of those guys is.

From your list, Rodgers, Wilson, and Jimmy G are better.  That's it.  If the Colts can bring one of them in, more power to them.  I personally dont see the first two as possibilities.  And, as @BGleasalluded to if the 49ers make a playoff run, Jimmy G gets quite a bit more expensive.

I wish we had Deebo, Kittle, and Aiyuk. 

• Like 3

Listening to JMV and the have Rick Venturi on there discussing the Colts. Venturi is the analyst on the Colts radio and it is surprising me how much he is going off on the team.  He said that he feels it would be best to move on from Wentz.  He said he was for the trade but after watching him he is not the guy for this team.  He talked to a former GM after the trade and said Wentz is like a golfer that will shoot 65 on Thursday and Friday but shoots a 75 on the weekend.

Now he is blasting Eberflus and thinks his scheme is way soft and the pass defense is unacceptable.  We were 16th in defense and offense but the defense was 29th in the fourth quarter.  We give up easy throws for the QB and the opponent QB completion percentage is a joke.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Listening to JMV and the have Rick Venturi on there discussing the Colts. Venturi is the analyst on the Colts radio and it is surprising me how much he is going off on the team.  He said that he feels it would be best to move on from Wentz.  He said he was for the trade but after watching him he is not the guy for this team.  He talked to a former GM after the trade and said Wentz is like a golfer that will shoot 65 on Thursday and Friday but shoots a 75 on the weekend.

Now he is blasting Eberflus and thinks his scheme is way soft and the pass defense is unacceptable.  We were 16th in defense and offense but the defense was 29th in the fourth quarter.  We give up easy throws for the QB and the opponent QB completion percentage is a joke.

16th in what? Yards? 

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Venturi knows more about football than most. That's a great analogy on Wentz - he is brutal when it matters. You don't blow the amount of games we did if that's not the case. 

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

First paragraph kinda affirms what some of us here have been saying.

I’d give Eberflus a pass on some/ most of this. The back end was decimated with injuries this year. Guys way down the depth chart weee having to play. I do think that they have to get an outside pass rusher. I think Payne will be good but I also think they made a mistake letting both Houston and Autry go. Not a fan of Turku, and no one else stands out as someone who can develop into a steady contributor 

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

First paragraph kinda affirms what some of us here have been saying.

I’d give Eberflus a pass on some/ most of this. The back end was decimated with injuries this year. Guys way down the depth chart weee having to play. I do think that they have to get an outside pass rusher. I think Payne will be good but I also think they made a mistake letting both Houston and Autry go. Not a fan of Turku, and no one else stands out as someone who can develop into a steady contributor 

He said he doesn't like how the roster is constructed.  He thinks we have to much money rapped up on the interior.  He thinks you win with great edge and perimeter players like LT, edge rushers, CB and WR

7 minutes ago, rico said:

When you collapse like the Colts did, questions and solutions are always going to be brought up.  

There are solutions and then there are unrealistic scenarios.  And, one of the 'solutions' could be to stay the course.  Use the end of this season as a learning experience.

Keep in mind that two weeks ago the Colts were, outside of the Chiefs, the AFC team no one wanted on the playoffs.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rico said:

When you collapse like the Colts did, questions and solutions are always going to be brought up.  

Naturally....and they should be. You don't get beat at home by the Raiders and lose at one of the worst run professional sports organizations going without asking questions. 14 teams are still playing...by that very definition the Colts have plenty of questions. Good conversation on here today but anyone not asking the simple questions about Wentz, Reich,etc.....are blinded by loyalty. 

I like the Colts. Have plenty of good pieces there but missing the playoffs isn't a trajectory I like. All excuses aside it can't happen if you believe things are good. 

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He said he doesn't like how the roster is constructed.  He thinks we have to much money rapped up on the interior.  He thinks you win with great edge and perimeter players like LT, edge rushers, CB and WR

He absolutely is NOT wrong here. I think we're much closer at CB and DE than people realize. Rock was silly good, Rodgers was getting there. Kenny struggled late. Blackmon was a LOSS. We'll see, some evaluations need to be done there and possible additions. Then Kwity came on late. Dayo wasn't going to be there this year, but coming off a major injury who knows. 

WR and LT, yeah not good. 

There's way, way more to those losses than just lack of talent in certain areas. 

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There are solutions and then there are unrealistic scenarios.  And, one of the 'solutions' could be to stay the course.  Use the end of this season as a learning experience.

Keep in mind that two weeks ago the Colts were, outside of the Chiefs, the AFC team no one wanted on the playoffs.

Simply my favorite of the options. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Naturally....and they should be. You don't get beat at home by the Raiders and lose at one of the worst run professional sports organizations going without asking questions. 14 teams are still playing...by that very definition the Colts have plenty of questions. Good conversation on here today but anyone not asking the simple questions about Wentz, Reich,etc.....are blinded by loyalty. 

I like the Colts. Have plenty of good pieces there but missing the playoffs isn't a trajectory I like. All excuses aside it can't happen if you believe things are good. 

Which the bottom is why some of us are fine with letting it ride... it worked for Michigan this year. We'll see. I don't truly think we're out anything by giving it a shot. 

I 100% trust Irsay and Ballard, though.