2023 NFL Discussion

rico

29 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Which the bottom is why some of us are fine with letting it ride... it worked for Michigan this year. We'll see. I don't truly think we're out anything by giving it a shot. 

I 100% trust Irsay and Ballard, though. 

Trust and like them both...but teams missing the playoffs aren't on the rise. Usually they've hidden some stuff along the way to make fans think their closer. 

Colts need WR help times 2....probably a TE and I'd keep storing up that Oline but biggest decision is the QB. Wentz was really good and at times not so good. Same could be said for a guy like Jay Cutler....but the inconsistency doesn't bring team results. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

And others don't like the trajectory, or Wentz, and maybe Reich. That's literally ok. I don't agree, but it's ok. 

You know I have tons of respect for you and your football knowledge surpasses most everyone here. However on this one I have to strongly disagree.

You have stated that the Colts’ offense is not built to rely on a lights out quarterback performance to win. You may be right, however in this world of passing friendly rules I am not sure that that’s not part of the problem. Assuming that the Colts have been built in this manner, then it becomes imperative that the few times Wentz is called on to make a play, he has to come through.

You have made your case in part by pointing out how poorly our receivers played this year, and how our line underperformed this year. You have yet to acknowledge a stat that I have mentioned a couple of times here… Wentz finished 30th in accuracy this year…30th! I have used the term mediocre to describe Wentz at times, but in this instance he’s atrocious.

Two examples to illustrate…

-In the Raiders game he overthrew a wide open TY down the left sideline. He probably could have walked the ball to him. Make that pass and that game is most likely won, the Jaguar game doesn’t matter, and we’re in the playoffs.

-In the Jags game, on the play that was originally called an interception but was overturned, Wentz overthrew 6’5”, wide open Pittman on a play that would have continued the drive when the Colts were very much in the game.

I know that this is just two examples and that you can come up with examples to refute my stance. But, when the game, the season is on the line, when you’re only called on to make big plays a few times a game, when you’re under zero pressure because the line has held up, and you can’t make the plays, then the questions arise… are you worth the $28 million the Colts are paying you.

I am like Venturi. I think Wentz built up a lot of his statistics either when the defense was soft, like the end of the first half of the Raider game, or in garbage time, like the touchdown pass to Pittman against Jacksonville.

I just don’t think that the team will ever get what they’re paying for from Wentz, and if you are right that they are not a quarterback dependent team, cut your losses, sign someone cheaper who can fill the role, and use the money on other positions of need 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You know I have tons of respect for you and your football knowledge surpasses most everyone here. However on this one I have to strongly disagree.

You have stated that the Colts’ offense is not built to rely on a lights out quarterback performance to win. You may be right, however in this world of passing friendly rules I am not sure that that’s not part of the problem. Assuming that the Colts have been built in this manner, then it becomes imperative that the few times Wentz is called on to make a play, he has to come through.

You have made your case in part by pointing out how poorly our receivers played this year, and how our line underperformed this year. You have yet to acknowledge a stat that I have mentioned a couple of times here… Wentz finished 30th in accuracy this year…30th! I have used the term mediocre to describe Wentz at times, but in this instance he’s atrocious.

-In the Raiders game he overthrew a wide open TY down the left sideline. He probably could have walked the ball to him. Make that pass and that game is most likely won, the Jaguar game doesn’t matter, and we’re in the playoffs.

-In the Jags game, on the play that was originally called an interception but was overturned, Wentz overthrew 6’5”, wide open Pittman on a play that would have continued the drive when the Colts were very much in the game.

I know that this is just two examples and that you can come up with examples to refute my stance. But, when the game, the season is on the line, when you’re only called on to make big plays a few times a game, when you’re under zero pressure because the line has held up, and you can’t make the plays, then the questions arise… are you worth the $28 million the Colts are paying you.

I am like Venturi. I think Wentz built up a lot of his statistics either when the defense was soft, like the end of the first half of the Raider game, or in garbage time, like the touchdown pass to Pittman against Jacksonville.

I just don’t think that the team will ever get what they’re paying for from Wentz, and if you are right that they are not a quarterback dependent team, cut your losses, sign someone cheaper who can fill the role, and use the money on other positions of need 

I don't disagree. I don't know. 🤷‍♂️..

Most of what else you said I disagree with, but ultimately, I am more than willing to be patient. 

I get what you're saying. 

Edited by btownqb

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Trust and like them both...but teams missing the playoffs aren't on the rise. Usually they've hidden some stuff along the way to make fans think their closer. 

Colts need WR help times 2....probably a TE and I'd keep storing up that Oline but biggest decision is the QB. Wentz was really good and at times not so good. Same could be said for a guy like Jay Cutler....but the inconsistency doesn't bring team results. 

Yep!

I think better LT and WR2 will bring that. Others don't. 🤷‍♂️

22 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Wentz main problem is decision making.  He tries to keep every play alive and that is when you get him passing left handed.  The interception against the Jags he just mad e stupid judgment to throw to MAC

Went back to work today so I was in my vehicle a lot and listened to a lot of different opinions on the Colts. The 5 guys who covers the Colts locally that I heard think that there is a descent chance we move on from Wentz.  A lot of it was from Reich's press conference where he was do upset with the padding game this year.  He normally tries to praise all of his players especially Wentz but didn't do that yesterday.  Only problem is who do you replace him with.  Also would the Colts be willing to get rid of him after 1 year after giving up a 1 and 3 for him.  On the other hand Reich and Ballard knows their leash is getting tighter so do they want to take a chance with Wentz.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Went back to work today so I was in my vehicle a lot and listened to a lot of different opinions on the Colts. The 5 guys who covers the Colts locally that I heard think that there is a descent chance we move on from Wentz.  A lot of it was from Reich's press conference where he was do upset with the padding game this year.  He normally tries to praise all of his players especially Wentz but didn't do that yesterday.  Only problem is who do you replace him with.  Also would the Colts be willing to get rid of him after 1 year after giving up a 1 and 3 for him.  On the other hand Reich and Ballard knows their leash is getting tighter so do they want to take a chance with Wentz.

Hey, if that's what they decide, let's do it! 

Writers do try to sensational everything, but more than fine if that's the decision on my end. 

I am now thinking about what kind of changes that Irsay is talking about.  Seems obvious that Reich and Ballard will he back do what changes will be made.  I would assume a few of the assistants will lose their jobs like DL coach and the OL coach.  You could change the OC but it is just a title since Reich runs the he offense.  I could see the DC getting let go or hope he gets hired by another team.

I am thinking maybe the change will come from how Ballard constructs the team.  Maybe Irsay wants to use free agency more and not just going bargain hunting.  Also might try to trade a couple of players who would surprise people like Kelly and or Nelson.  Everyone I listened to today talked about when those two missed games you didn't see much drop off from them compared to Pinter and Reid.  Also it is hard to pay a LG 20 million a year so they might look to trade Nelson I stead of giving him that much money.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Side note. Glad to hear all is well and back at it! 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have never been enamored with Eberflus.  I feel it's a bend but not break defense that wears out in the 4th quarter. I would not be opposed to making a call to Fangio or Zimmer just to talk some options

Eberflus to interview with the Bears today?

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Eberflus to interview with the Bears today?

I saw he is interviewing with Jags on Saturday.

I think the Bears are primarily doing zoom meetings for first round/screening interviews before they do face to face interviews, which makes sense since they have at least 9 head coaching candidates. Having said that, I haven't seen a date for Eberflus yet.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Guys that we could go get include:

Rodgers - doubtful

Russ - not a big enough market

Ryan - more weapons in ATL

Garrapolo - lateral move

Dalton - lateral at best

Fitzpatrick - GREAT bullpen guy

Foles - ehhh

Winston - only realistic guy with upside on the list in my opinion. 

Im not exactly a Wentz fan, but id go out and get a playmaking TE (Ertz perhaps) and a legit #2 WR and run it back. No free agent qb is guna want to come here without that and anyone we would trade for would have the same questionable targets Wentz had. 

Edited by 3Ballin

4 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Understood on all those points, but I don't think you target the guys at the bottom of the list. That is your fallback if you strike out on those first three names. The bottom of the list, sans maybe Winston, aren't long term options but I really don't think Wentz is either, it's just filling in a potentially slightly worse stop gap if you can't get THE GUY this off season. 

EDIT: I'll add we don't really know how any of these guys fit until we see it on the field. I doubt anyone thought Tannehill was a long term option in Nashville when he signed there as a backup, but he just fits what they do on offense. 

Edited by KoB2011

Reich in Jan 2022 when asked directly about Wentz:

“We loved the team we had this year, we knew everyone we brought in this year, we expected to play winning football,” Reich said. “Next year’s roster will be next year’s roster. I don’t want to open it up about one player and then start talking about all of them.

Reich in Jan 2021 when asked directly about Philip Rivers:

"Yes, as I sit here right now, yes I want Philip Rivers to be my starting quarterback next year."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, btownqb said:

What's that as a number per times a year? 

🤷‍♂️ This year it was honestly probably 4-5 games we needed him to really step up and play a bigger role in carrying the team over the top. I think Carson had pretty mixed results. When the running game was working and the defense was causing turnovers he seemed to play quite well. However, when we were getting behind the sticks and falling behind in games...and the pressure was on for him to create offense...he was probably not enough. Will another year in the organization and offense and with this team and a true offseason to work help him step up in enough of those moments to win our division...that is the million dollar question. He has the physical tools...it's between the ears. We probably do need to get him some more help. Brady/Rodgers he is not. He is not going to overcome roster deficiencies...does he need a loaded roster at the skill positions to win us our division....I don't think so....he probably is missing that complementary receiver to Pittman to really honestly say he has enough weapons. That said...the guy has a top 5 OL and the best running back in all of football....how much more does he need to have and how much more can we afford to give him before we say someone else could do more with less? At this point a lot was invested in both coach and qb. I think we all agree we need to see better results....I'm fine with giving them one more year to evaluate them both fully. While I doubt we actively search for a qb replacement, of course if we get word through channels that Russ or Rodgers is interested in coming....then all bets are off.