2023 NFL Discussion

rico

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Who wouldn't want to throw to Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods and McVay as your coach!?! 

Well, based on Woods' Fantasy production for me before he got hurt, Stafford really didn't want to throw to Woods.  :coffee:

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

You're right, Carr made winning plays when he had to in Week 18. He drove his team down the field twice in overtime for scores, and he's also been playing without a lot of offensive weapons all year just like Wentz. 

The reason it's a clown move to hang on is it's demoralizing to a team and a fanbase when you watch a guy choke away a season where the AFC was wide open and the Colts were as dangerous as anyone. This is an offseason with potentially two (maybe even three) franchise changing QBs available when some off seasons don't even have one known commodity at that position available. 

So yeah, you put all your chips on the table and go get a damn QB when you have a top 5 offensive line, top 2 running back, and a top 10 defense built for playing with leads. 

Wentz did the EXACT same thing vs. Ravens and Cards. Truly, the exact same thing. Wentz isn't just without weapons, he doesn't have them. Carr has the 2nd best TE, 2nd best slot WR, and a legit deep threat (Ruggs) obviously he didn't the last 8 games or whatever. Renfrow > Pittman and for what those QBs need them for... Renfrow by A LOT. 

But again, there were multiple, MULTIPLE other ways we could have still beaten Oakland through Wentz's below avg play. 

As I've mentioned, I would love, loveeeee getting Russell or Rodgers. 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not sure Kaepernick was the original "hybrid" (I'd go with Michael Vick) but yeah, Harbaugh did coach him in SF...

Not sure what that relationship was like though, because it kinda went south in a hurry...

Well...no doubt Vick might be considered that. Vick however was more a pocket qb that would take off and run....but Kaep was literally running RPOs before that really became trend in NFL....and Harbaugh was running some of that same stuff with Smith before Kaep even...so I don't see an issue with the QB....more of you have a very powerful personality that you are hiring and will that mesh with your GM and rest of your front office...and will it mesh with the veteran leaders on your team. IMO that was the issue in SF as they were pretty successful tenure under him...he just wore out his welcome fast.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

If it's so easy then tell us who it is. Yes it matters. I personally do not see many options that will give the Colts any more than what Wentz is giving and to get another guy similar what do you have to give up to get him

Guys that we could go get include:

Rodgers

Russ

Ryan

Garrapolo

Dalton

Fitzpatrick

Foles

Winston

Potentially other guys available via trade or that don't get cut. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Wentz did the EXACT same thing vs. Ravens and Cards. Truly, the exact same thing. Wentz isn't just without weapons, he doesn't have them. Carr has the 2nd best TE, 2nd best slot WR, and a legit deep threat (Ruggs) obviously he didn't the last 8 games or whatever. Renfrow > Pittman and for what those QBs need them for... Renfrow by A LOT. 

But again, there were multiple, MULTIPLE other ways we could have still beaten Oakland through Wentz's below avg play. 

As I've mentioned, I would love, loveeeee getting Russell or Rodgers. 

I don't think anyone is saying Wentz is the only problem, he's just the most glaring and consistent problem we have week over week. He only threw for 200 yards once in the last half of the season. That's consistently not getting it done.

You can't get a guy like Russell or Rodgers if you don't make the decision to move on from Wentz and take a risk. Winners take risk, losers lose. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Rodgers

Russ

Ryan

Garrapolo

Dalton

Fitzpatrick

Foles

Winston

Some of the same guys that were discussed last year. The top 2 are out they just won't end up in Indy. I would love either. Winston is intriguing Ryan is a stop gap and the rest are not any better than Wentz. If it's not a true upgrade then I am not sure it's worth it

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But, it was a good thing he threw the left handed pick. If he takes a safety, the game is over. The TD TEN scored there gave us a chance. We weren't getting the ball back, having them punt, THEN going to score a TD. 

We had zero momentum vs. JAX at that point, but yes 100% an awful, awful pick. I've given you stats that show he was a solid QB for 17 games. 

I know the Cards game wasn't in the last two weeks... you said the last two were too big and I'm saying if that game isn't too big... how could the other two have been? 

You can't do that in hindsight....justify a horrible decision that 10 times out of 10 is the wrong one, and then say it was good he did it. Just not how a leader of a team should think.

We did have momentum. We had a decent kick off return, and good field position. The game was not out of hand at that point. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Rodgers

Russ

Ryan

Garrapolo

Dalton

Fitzpatrick

Foles

Winston

Rodgers and Russ aren't happening. Dalton, Fitzpatrick, Files and Winston are downgrades. 

So basically, Ryan and Garrapolo?

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Didn't Harbaugh coach the original hybrid qb Kapernick??? Heck he even coached a very mobile Alex Smith. I think Harbaugh's biggest issue was his relationships both with management/ownership and with his veteran players.

Yes, Harbaugh definitely had his issues with management and he is going to more than likely wear out his welcome wherever he goes (if he leaves UM). He would still be my primary target if I were the Bears because he will give you a 4 year window with Fields that would provide a (probable) winning product.

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You can't do that in hindsight....justify a horrible decision that 10 times out of 10 is the wrong one, and then say it was good he did it. Just not how a leader of a team should think.

We did have momentum. We had a decent kick off return, and good field position. The game was not out of hand at that point. 

It youn5ake a safety it game over

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I don't think anyone is saying Wentz is the only problem, he's just the most glaring and consistent problem we have week over week. He only threw for 200 yards once in the last half of the season. That's consistently not getting it done.

You can't get a guy like Russell or Rodgers if you don't make the decision to move on from Wentz and take a risk. Winners take risk, losers lose. 

Yeah, see, I don't agree with that at all. I believe the WRs are easily the biggest problem on our team. It's the NFL, you gotta have dudes there. 

I understand what it would take to get those two, and if the Colts deem that necessary, I'm all in. I just don't have the need/or want to constantly question Reich/Ballard/Irsay. Too many of you have forgotten how truly, truly wretched the roster was when Ballard took it over. 

I just don't believe we will ever be the Bucs or Rams and play into the "win now" type thing. Maybe Irsay lets do it, but that's certainly not how Ballard has built the rest of the roster or gone about FA. 

4 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Exactly. TN got the top seed by being only +65, versus Colts (out of playoffs) at +86. TN also did that without Derrick Henry, plus lots of other injuries (saw that they played a league high 86 players this year), but Vrabel is a better coach than Reich. 

Colts was a -45 in the 4th quarter

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Ok, you said momentum... I don't agree with that. I do agree that the game wasn't out of point at that time, agree. 

Fair comment about the hindsight, but it's more than possible that the coaches told him "literally you cannot take a safety". Wentz wasn't the only f*** up on that play. or close to it. And again, everyone will say "but he was the biggest" which that's irrelevant, literally it's a team game. He had no chance to throw it away with RK in the way, the angle wasn't there. 

This is making my head spin. You don't want him another, I do. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Yeah, see, I don't agree with that at all. I believe the WRs are easily the biggest problem on our team. It's the NFL, you gotta have dudes there. 

I understand what it would take to get those two, and if the Colts deem that necessary, I'm all in. I just don't have the need/or want to constantly question Reich/Ballard/Irsay. Too many of you have forgotten how truly, truly wretched the roster was when Ballard took it over. 

I just don't believe we will ever be the Bucs or Rams and play into the "win now" type thing. Maybe Irsay lets do it, but that's certainly not how Ballard has built the rest of the roster or gone about FA. 

I remember distinctly how bad the previous GM left the roster. 

I know that Philip Rivers was a one year stopgap solution, and a much better one than Jacoby Brisset. I also think that Ballard's decision to bring in the next guy was influenced by Reich having coached Wentz in Philly. I think that was a flawed thought process....as I have said previously, Wentz was broke then. Maybe its the combination. I don't trust the decision making either one show when it comes to crunch time. Neither HC or the most important position on the team make decisions that I could trust implicitly, and that's what is needed to gain the trust of the entire team.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I remember distinctly how bad the previous GM left the roster. 

I know that Philip Rivers was a one year stopgap solution, and a much better one than Jacoby Brisset. I also think that Ballard's decision to bring in the next guy was influenced by Reich having coached Wentz in Philly. I think that was a flawed thought process....as I have said previously, Wentz was broke then. Maybe its the combination. I don't trust the decision making either one show when it comes to crunch time. Neither HC or the most important position on the team make decisions that I could trust implicitly, and that's what is needed to gain the trust of the entire team.

Ok, I don't agree with a lot of that. Doesn't mean I'm right! 

Anyone questioning Ballard is nuts though and I've seen that all over Twitter. 

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Rodgers and Russ aren't happening. Dalton, Fitzpatrick, Files and Winston are downgrades. 

Can we trade Wentz back for Hurts lol!! 🤣

Honestly there are very few GREAT options. Rodgers will have his pick of any team in the league if he wants to go somewhere. Other options are made more difficult because they aren't TRUE free agents so a trade and cap money comes into consideration. After Rodgers, Russ, and Watson (who isn't getting traded within the division) it is Ryan and maybe a guy like Cousins if he is made available then a step down to the rest (who are all about equal or less then Wentz). There will be others that might be available....guys like Tua, Mayfield, maybe even a Goff so we can get find a replacement level qb....but that will put even more pressure on he defense and the running game then we already have. I think the goal was to not necessarily find a guy that will carry your team like Luck...but one that will rise to the occassion when called upon....and Wentz has more work to do in becoming that. I just think we roll another year with it because the long term solution is likely not out there....and we would just be doing a stop gap. The devil we know is probably better than the risk of bringing in another and not doing any better. If it doesn't work next year then we probably are firing coach and qb and dipping back into the draft.

32 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Rodgers

Russ

Ryan

Garrapolo

Dalton

Fitzpatrick

Foles

Winston

Do you seriously believe that Ryan, Dalton, Fitzpatrick, Foles, and Winston are better than Wentz?

Rodgers ain't coming.  Russ would likely prefer somewhere else as well.

So, from your list, Jimmy G is the only potential upgrade that I see.

Edited by 5fouls

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I had NFL Sunday ticket this year.  Trust me when I say Ryan is a downgrade (and an old one) as well.  Jimmy G is the only one on that list that could be reasonably considered both realistic and an upgrade.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Can we trade Wentz back for Hurts lol!! 🤣

Honestly there are very few GREAT options. Rodgers will have his pick of any team in the league if he wants to go somewhere. Other options are made more difficult because they aren't TRUE free agents so a trade and cap money comes into consideration. After Rodgers, Russ, and Watson (who isn't getting traded within the division) it is Ryan and maybe a guy like Cousins if he is made available then a step down to the rest (who are all about equal or less then Wentz). There will be others that might be available....guys like Tua, Mayfield, maybe even a Goff so we can get find a replacement level qb....but that will put even more pressure on he defense and the running game then we already have. I think the goal was to not necessarily find a guy that will carry your team like Luck...but one that will rise to the occassion when called upon....and Wentz has more work to do in becoming that. I just think we roll another year with it because the long term solution is likely not out there....and we would just be doing a stop gap. The devil we know is probably better than the risk of bringing in another and not doing any better. If it doesn't work next year then we probably are firing coach and qb and dipping back into the draft.

What's that as a number per times a year? 

12 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Are Dorsey or Riddick in play for any GM openings? Seem like they would be high on lists IMO

I have not seen them mentioned. Riddick wants the Bears GM job, but not sure if he will get an interview or not...if they don't have an agent, it might not get leaked out that they are interviewing.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1