2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Jameis Winston career passer rating - 87.8

Carson Wentz career passer rating - 90.1

Jameis Winston career record:  33-44-0

Carson Wentz career record: 44-40-1

Are there better QBs in the league than Wentz?  Yes.

Is Winston one of them? No

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Jameis Winston career passer rating - 87.8

Carson Wentz career passer rating - 90.1

Jameis Winston career record:  33-44-0

Carson Wentz career record: 44-40-1

Are there better QBs in the league than Wentz?  Yes.

Is Winston one of them? No

I feel they want Wentz gone because of  things off the field than what he does on the field.  They also want guys to make the easy plays instead of trying to hit the homerun

Edited by IU Scott

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I feel they want Wentz hone had to do with things off the field than what he does on the field.  They also want guys to make the easy plays instead of trying to hit the homerun

But today Wentz's trade value just went to its highest level. There are still 5 teams wanting a QB. Ballard might get that 1st round pick back after all. But i'm guessing Ballard screws it up in the end.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Indykev said:

But today Wentz's trade value just went to its highest level. There are still 5 teams wanting a QB. Ballard might get that 1st round pick back after all. But i'm guessing Ballard screws it up in the end.

I don’t think today did anything to Wentz's trade value. Nobody is trading a 1st round pick for a QB that his own team has already indicated they might just release. 

If you're the Steelers or whoever, you'll take a flyer on Trubisky or Winston before you even consider trading for Wentz. And if you do get to the point of considering it, you're looking at like a 3rd or 4th round pick probably.

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t think today did anything to Wentz's trade value. Nobody is trading a 1st round pick for a QB that his own team has already indicated they might just release. 

If you're the Steelers or whoever, you'll take a flyer on Trubisky or Winston before you even consider trading for Wentz. And if you do get to the point of considering it, you're looking at like a 3rd or 4th round pick probably.

I'll ask you the same thing I asked Scott.  Why would any team consider Winston over Wentz?  

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

I don't see getting anything better than a 3rd 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'll ask you the same thing I asked Scott.  Why would any team consider Winston over Wentz?  

Wentz baggage is going to follow him.  He has now has had two teams want to get rid of him because of things to do with locker room things. Everybody I hear talk on the radio or TV talks about how mentally fragile Wentz is.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Wentz baggage is going to follow him.  He has now has had two teams want to get rid of him because of things to do with locker room things. Everybody I hear talk on the radio or TV talks about how mentally fragile Wentz is.

Winston was arrested for shoplifting and has been accused of sexual assault. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Winston was arrested for shoplifting and has been accused of sexual assault. 

First I didn't actually say I wanted Winston but someone asked who could he available. Also just don't look at the 27 TD's and 7 Int because they don't tell the whole story.  He had 6 fumbles and made some horrible decisions throwing left handed or under handed passes for interceptions.  He had 8 games below 200 yards and only had two games above 250 yards.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I wasn't saying I'd pick Winston over Wentz straight up. No way. 

But I'd take a season of Winston on a team-friendly contract over giving up assets in a trade for Wentz and his contract. 

Absolutely would take Winston before I'd even remotely entertain the idea of giving up a 1st rounder for Wentz. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He is also injured and will likely miss first half of season.

Ummm…. Not sure where you got that information. Torn ACL recovery time is now 6-8 months and he got hurt in November. As well, videos released last week show him running. 
If I was a betting man I would put money on him being able to play earlier than the second half of the season 

41 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

First I didn't actually say I wanted Winston but someone asked who could he available. Also just don't look at the 27 TD's and 7 Int because they don't tell the whole story.  He had 6 fumbles and made some horrible decisions throwing left handed or under handed passes for interceptions.  He had 8 games below 200 yards and only had two games above 250 yards.

Jordan Love is probably available. No way they hold on to him for another 3-4 years now to just sit the bench. They are all in on Rodgers next two years. Not sure anyone gives them a 1 but perhaps our 2nd and a future 3rd or 4th might work. (Jimmy G type deal??) They need immediate impact players to go all in. Comes down to what kind of feelings we had on Love when he came out. No doubt we looked into him closely as we were needing a qb and decided to go in on Rivers but we have already done the homework. Wonder how we felt on him?

Edited by dgambill

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Ummm…. Not sure where you got that information. Torn ACL recovery time is now 6-8 months and he got hurt in November. As well, videos released last week show him running. 
If I was a betting man I would put money on him being able to play earlier than the second half of the season 

I wasn’t sure when he had the surgery (some don’t get it right away) but I was putting it around 8-9 months for recovery and likely to miss all OTAs and be behind learning a new offense. I think he will go back to the Saints because he is already familiar with the system etc…anywhere else and I just don’t see him ready to start day 1…but if he is progressing faster that is good for him.

The only way I would be happy with bringing Wentz back is if Ballard opens the purse strings and spends on a massive upgrade in talent to surround him. 
A downfield threat at WR— Robinson, Lockett, Will Fuller, Valdez-Scandling

A TE who stretches the field —maybe in the draft?

A LT, or move Nelson to that position, pay him for it, and plug in Reed or Pintner at guard 

57 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I wasn’t sure when he had the surgery (some don’t get it right away) but I was putting it around 8-9 months for recovery and likely to miss all OTAs and be behind learning a new offense. I think he will go back to the Saints because he is already familiar with the system etc…anywhere else and I just don’t see him ready to start day 1…but if he is progressing faster that is good for him.

To put in perspective, Godwin tore his ACL in week 15, and just got the franchise tag

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

To put in perspective, Godwin tore his ACL in week 15, and just got the franchise tag

Godwin has already been tagged once…I understand his season won’t be totally lost but I think they are trying to work out a long term deal with him. I have no doubt he won’t play on a second tag. Without Brown and likely Gronk he will be even more important to their offense with whomever gets under center.