2023 NFL Discussion

rico

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yes I think so even though I don't feel Wentz was as bad as some are portraying.  With Irsay it was all about trust and he does not trust Wentz. Without better weapons around him I'm notsure it matters who the QB is

People only look at the 27 TD's and 7 int and think Wentz had a good year. If people watched the season as a whole he was not really productive.  He missed a lot of open WR and never looked yo the check down to make the easy play.  I guess Curt Warner did a recap on Wentz and it was not to flattering.

Just now, IU Scott said:

People only look at the 27 TD's and 7 int and think Wentz had a good year. If people watched the season as a whole he was not really productive.  He missed a lot of open WR and never looked yo the check down to make the easy play.  I guess Curt Warner did a recap on Wentz and it was not to flattering.

I agree but you tell me where the upgrade comes from I am all for it but to get someone that is a true upgrade we probably won't be able to get the other needed pieces.

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree but you tell me where the upgrade comes from I am all for it but to get someone that is a true upgrade we probably won't be able to get the other needed pieces.

I think if we can get a QB that can just make the easy plays and be a more accurate passer we be alright.  I didn't realize that Trubisky was 25-13 as a starter and had a season where he ranked 3rd in QBR so maybe he could be a good pickup.

Edited by IU Scott

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Russell Wilson is 34 years old and played his entire career in the same system.  Colts would be crazy to give up 2 first round picks plus others to get him.  

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Russell Wilson is 34 years old and played his entire career in the same system.  Colts would be crazy to give up 2 first round picks plus others to get him.  

I get it I really do but the Colts seem to be in a win now mode. Similar to Rams. They gave up 2 future firsts and a 3rd round this year along with Goff to get the guy they thought could deliver a title.

3-5 years of high level Russell Wilson to me is worth getting a game changer at QB. Ballard has shown he can find talent after 1st round. Unless there is somebody else out there...I go all in for a guy like Wilson if I'm the Colts. 

Get Wilson....add one of the elite free agent WR's to the fray and go from there. 1st round picks won't mean much if your winning 11-12 games per year. 

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I would trade Nelson for weapons. 

I disagree with trading QN, and think that if the Colts did that, it would be a huge mistake.

For a long time, the Colts were thought of as a soft team. Reputation was as a finesse team, as compared to those who would run the ball down your throat—Steelers, Ravens, Titans come to mind. Nelson brought an immediate toughness to the team and the O-line is much more physical than they used to be. Yes, they have had some issues, but I think losing Nelson at this point would be a big step back 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I disagree with trading QN, and think that if the Colts did that, it would be a huge mistake.

For a long time, the Colts were thought of as a soft team. Reputation was as a finesse team, as compared to those who would run the ball down your throat—Steelers, Ravens, Titans come to mind. Nelson brought an immediate toughness to the team and the O-line is much more physical than they used to be. Yes, they have had some issues, but I think losing Nelson at this point would be a big step back 

Another thing about Nelson is that he has had 3 surgeries in the past couple of years.  Also he has had back problems which could get worse since he is a OL

As well, our of any unit on a football team, the O-line requires the most playing together in order to perform at the level we have become accustomed to. The cohesiveness doesn’t come overnight, and to plug someone new in and expect the same results is not going to happen, Imo.

Just look at this past season. The weak link by far was at LT where we had multiple guys play, including the new guy Fischer. 

Takes time to build a top tier O-line and don’t know why we’d want to disrupt what we have 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I get it I really do but the Colts seem to be in a win now mode. Similar to Rams. They gave up 2 future firsts and a 3rd round this year along with Goff to get the guy they thought could deliver a title.

3-5 years of high level Russell Wilson to me is worth getting a game changer at QB. Ballard has shown he can find talent after 1st round. Unless there is somebody else out there...I go all in for a guy like Wilson if I'm the Colts. 

Get Wilson....add one of the elite free agent WR's to the fray and go from there. 1st round picks won't mean much if your winning 11-12 games per year. 

Well, since you put it that way!

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 9:53 AM, Seeking6 said:

Colts could do that and still maybe not get out of the Divisional round. They still wouldn’t be better than KC, Buffalo, or Cincy. They might overtake Tenn though. I’m not sure that Russell Wilsons is enough to put us even in a AFC championship. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

Colts could do that and still maybe not get out of the Divisional round. They still wouldn’t be better than KC, Buffalo, or Cincy. They might overtake Tenn though. I’m not sure that Russell Wilsons is enough to put us even in a AFC championship. 

Heck, the Colts kicked the Bills arszs last year in Buffalo...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rico said:

Heck, the Colts kicked the Bills arszs last year in Buffalo...

So did New England...and we saw how that ended up when the playoffs rolled around. I'm just not sure Russell hasn't peaked and we would be investing a ton of capital into a qb that can no longer do the things that made him special in the first place. Not sure there is a singular qb that could step right in and make us a title favorite in this current AFC. We could upgrade and still not be favorites over those other teams.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not sure there is a singular qb that could step right in and make us a title favorite in this current AFC. We could upgrade and still not be favorites over those other teams.

Heck, the Bengals beat the Chiefs twice in a five-week span, including once at Arrowhead, and the Chiefs will still go into next season with better odds to win the AFC.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Heck, the Bengals beat the Chiefs twice in a five-week span, including once at Arrowhead, and the Chiefs will still go into next season with better odds to win the AFC.   

You are correct.....guess I'm just not a Russell Wilson guy. Minus his scrambling which he really hasn't done much of he has not impressed me much in the past few years....had a couple hot starts to seasons only to fall off...don't get me wrong....big upgrade over Wentz but not sure worth what it would take to land him...nor do we have draft capital to do it. Guy is finishing last place in his division....is he going to put us over the top...have my doubts.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You are correct.....guess I'm just not a Russell Wilson guy. Minus his scrambling which he really hasn't done much of he has not impressed me much in the past few years....had a couple hot starts to seasons only to fall off...don't get me wrong....big upgrade over Wentz but not sure worth what it would take to land him...nor do we have draft capital to do it. Guy is finishing last place in his division....is he going to put us over the top...have my doubts.

I agree 100% that the offer thrown out earlier in this thread was way too much.  I've had a grudge against Wilson from a few years back when he had a bad Fantasy year for me.  I personally think you stick with Wentz unless Aaron Rodgers decides he would like to play in a dome instead of the frozen tundra.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I agree 100% that the offer thrown out earlier in this thread was way too much.  I've had a grudge against Wilson from a few years back when he had a bad Fantasy year for me.  I personally think you stick with Wentz unless Aaron Rodgers decides he would like to play in a dome instead of the frozen tundra.  

Agreed. If you want a disgruntled short qb then I bet Kyler Murray could be had way cheaper....just wants a new contract that I don't think Arizona wants to pay him but the trade capital would be way lower than for a SB winning qb like Wilson who will garner multiple firsts for sure.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

To me, there is no way you can bring back Wentz now. With how fragile Wentz is emotionally I don't see how he recovers from all of this going around him.

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

To me, there is no way you can bring back Wentz now. With how fragile Wentz is emotionally I don't see how he recovers from all of this going around him.

What in the world? There is nothing fragile about Carson Wentz lol 

That's fine you want to move on or others do, but Carson there is nothing fragile about Carson Wentz, outside of taking massive hits in Philly with little protection from other world class athletes.