2023 NFL Discussion

rico

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why? How do you rate him that high when this team has had the same weakness for 3 years and haven't corrected them.

First of all... which weakness? QB? What QB should he have gotten? 

Buckner trade absurdly good. Darius Leonard and JT in the 2nd round? Absolutely unbelievable. I could go through a LAUNDRY list of draft pick that he has hit on, and very, very few misses. 

Guys like Matthew Adams and Zaire Franklin and Isaiah Rodgers. Just stupid how good he has been in the draft. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

First of all... which weakness? QB? What QB should he have gotten? 

Buckner trade absurdly good. Darius Leonard and JT in the 2nd round? Absolutely unbelievable. I could go through a LAUNDRY list of draft pick that he has hit on, and very, very few misses. 

Guys like Matthew Adams and Zaire Franklin and Isaiah Rodgers. Just stupid how good he has been in the draft. 

But that hasn't produced on the field.  Two playoff appearances and one playoff win.  Results is the only thing that matters. It would be like saying Chris Collins is one of the top coaches in the big ten because because he went to 1 tournament.

We have had 3 years to get the QN right and if we get a new one this year that will he the 5tj different starter in 5 years.  He knew that Constanzo was going to retire abyeat before he did and still looking for a LT.  Still don't have a #1 WR, no #1 DB and no teal TE.

I like Ballard and don't think he should lose his job but he is not one of the best GM's

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

But that hasn't produced on the field.  Two playoff appearances and one playoff win.  Results is the only thing that matters. It would be like saying Chris Collins is one of the top coaches in the big ten because because he went to 1 tournament.

We have had 3 years to get the QN right and if we get a new one this year that will he the 5tj different starter in 5 years.  He knew that Constanzo was going to retire abyeat before he did and still looking for a LT.  Still don't have a #1 WR, no #1 DB and no teal TE.

I like Ballard and don't think he should lose his job but he is not one of the best GM's

Scott, Castonzo has been gone for one year. One. We have a WR #1 Pittman. We didn't have a #2 because TY was been hurt for 4 years. He can't control that. Vastly underestimating how hard it was to "replace" Luck. 

But yeah, you probably couldn't convince anyone in the NFL ranks that CB isn't one of the top GMs in the NFL. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/general-manager-power-rankings-nfl-draft-edition

https://www.thedraftscout.com/p/nfl-gm-power-rankings-the-top-10

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/article/goal-line-stand/nfls-best-gms-2021

https://www.yahoo.com/video/nfls-best-gms-2021-234710222.html

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Scott, Castonzo has been gone for one year. One. We have a WR #1 Pittman. We didn't have a #2 because TY was been hurt for 4 years. He can't control that. Vastly underestimating how hard it was to "replace" Luck. 

But yeah, you probably couldn't convince anyone in the NFL ranks that CB isn't one of the top GMs in the NFL. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/general-manager-power-rankings-nfl-draft-edition

https://www.thedraftscout.com/p/nfl-gm-power-rankings-the-top-10

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/article/goal-line-stand/nfls-best-gms-2021

https://www.yahoo.com/video/nfls-best-gms-2021-234710222.html

Pretty much been two years for Constanzo since he had to be talked out of retiring the year before.  That should have been the sign it was time to look at LT.  Again I think he has been good but is overrated.  I bet if we don't make the playoffs next year Irsay won't bring him.bavl for another year.

Edited by IU Scott

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Pretty two year for Constanzo since he had to be talked put of retiring the year before.  That should have been the dign it was time to look at LT.

And we had to make it work salary cap wise. You couldn't draft one in the 1st rd last year because of the amount of money we would have tied into the OL, at that point. So, that's why we went with Paye, who was very good. 

It was our first year since AC retired. And again, while that position needs upgraded, EF wasn't some just awful player. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

And we had to make it work salary cap wise. You couldn't draft one in the 1st rd last year because of the amount of money we would have tied into the OL, at that point. So, that's why we went with Paye, who was very good. 

It was our first year since AC retired. And again, while that position needs upgraded, EF wasn't some just awful player. 

I just don't think the way the is building this team is condusive with winning in the NFL today. Especially in the AFC where teams are built with offensive weapons at WR and TE.  I think we would agree Pollian is one of the top GM's of all time built his team that way.  He got OL in the middle to late rounds.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I just don't think the way the is building this team is condusive with winning in the NFL today. Especially in the AFC where teams are built with offensive weapons at WR and TE.  I think we would agree Pollian is one of the top GM's of all time built his team that way.  He got OL in the middle to late rounds.

That I can't prove you "wrong". But, Ballard said when he took the job that he wants a roster good enough that he doesn't need an Andrew Luck type to win. 

Polian had Peyton Freaking Manning. He was very good at his job, but cmon. 

And I actually think the only chance the Colts have is to be unique, not the same. jmo 

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Colts fans are coming to realize what Bears fans have known since Sid Luckman. It is hard to find a franchise QB. Colts were extremely fortunate in having Peyton for all those years and then tanking the right year to be able to snag Luck.

LOL

The Bears have just been unlucky or just plain sucked at drafting QBs.  In my lifetime that hasn't been the case with the Colts.  TBH, I just think the Bears are cursed at the position.

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That I can't prove you "wrong". But, Ballard said when he took the job that he wants a roster good enough that he doesn't need an Andrew Luck type to win. 

Polian had Peyton Freaking Manning. He was very good at his job, but cmon. 

And I actually think the only chance the Colts have is to be unique, not the same. jmo 

Plus he drafted HOF running backs and WR's.  Also he passed on these three WR in the second round the last few years. Brown in Tennessee, Samuels in SF and Metcalf in Seattle.  We instead pick guys like Rock, Turay, Banagu.

56 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The opposite of where he was the play before when he stopped the run. I don't think Nelson stops Donald just saying 

He was a DT almost the entire game. 

He got off the ball so quick and through B gap, he not only beat the double team, the 2nd guy (C) could even get to him. 😂

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Plus he drafted HOF running backs and WR's.  Also he passed on these three WR in the second round the last few years. Brown in Tennessee, Samuels in SF and Metcalf in Seattle.  We instead pick guys like Rock, Turay, Banagu.

Ok. 

Well... we needed pass rushers. Metcalf is not the answer and never someone that will be a Colt. 

And we did hit on a WR.. you agree? Yes, I would love to have Deebo Samuel as a Colt. 31 teams' fans think the same way there, that isn't some huge knock on CB. 

Other GMs do a good job too. I mean, TEN GM is very good at his job, as well. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL

The Bears have just been unlucky or just plain sucked at drafting QBs.  In my lifetime that hasn't been the case with the Colts.  TBH, I just think the Bears are cursed at the position.

Everyone thought the Cubs were cursed and 2016 happened. I don't believe in curses. Cubs sucked as organization for decades.

Same thing with Bears. I would agree they have sucked at drafting QBs. McMahon was above average, but not a franchise QB. Bears whiffed on Jim Harbaugh, Cade Mcnown, Rex Grossman, and Mitch Trubisky in my time as a Bears fan. Hopefully Fields will be that guy, but time will tell.

Everyone knew the Colts were going to draft either Leaf or Manning in 2008. Obviously they made the right call. Everyone knew that Luck was the obvious choice when they had the #1 pick in that draft. Once Luck retired, they are finding out it is much tougher than many realized to find "the guy" at QB. They don't grow on trees.

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ok. 

Well... we needed pass rushers. Metcalf is not the answer and never someone that will be a Colt. 

And we did hit on a WR.. you agree? Yes, I would love to have Deebo Samuel as a Colt. 31 teams' fans think the same way there, that isn't some huge knock on CB. 

Other GMs do a good job too. I mean, TEN job is very good at his job, as well. 

Just remembered that I wanted us to draft Brown that year.

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Then why is it so important to have an all world left guard. Give me an avg guard and an all world receiver.

I'm confused. I wasn't trying to tie this into why QN needed to be kept a Colt. 

I quoted (and executed my point poorly)... to say, AD is a DT and not a DE... and we don't lack at DT, at all. 

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

I'm confused. I wasn't trying to tie this into why QN needed to be kept a Colt. 

I quoted (and executed my point poorly)... to say, AD is a DT and not a DE... and we don't lack at DT, at all. 

I get it and agree. AD I believe is the best player in the league. I think Buckner is great but the distance from he and Donald is light years. I enjoy seeing people that excel at their regardless of what it is and AD is fun to watch

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just remembered that I wanted us to draft Brown that year.

Yes, the WR he picked in that draft hasnt not panned out because of injury. AJ Brown would have been a better pick than Parris Campbell, the way it stands now. 

I will say though, Ya Sin struggled as a 1st and 2nd year player.... he did NOT this year. He was very good. 

• Like 2

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I get it and agree. AD I believe is the best player in the league. I think Buckner is great but the distance from he and Donald is light years. I enjoy seeing people that excel at their regardless of what it is and AD is fun to watch

100% he is incredible. They were using him to spy at times because their edges could win so easily last night. Insane you could use a DT to spy a QB lol 

• Like 2