2023 NFL Discussion

rico

16 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Watching Dick Vermeil's HOF induction speech.  He's 85 years old, soon to be 86, and looks like he could coach today.  I can only hope I'm as spry as he is when I'm 85.  

Seems like yesterday that Dick was coaching UCLA.  And I can only hope to see 85.

• Like 2

Roquan Smith demanding a trade from Bears. It's going to take Poles about 2-3 drafts, free agencies, trade years to unpack the damage that Pace did to the franchise. With that said.....pay this guy. He loves being a Bear and playing LB for the Bears. 

You pay a backup OLineman $10M but you can't pay one of the LB's in the game? Pay the man.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

reason #1 why we don't need a vet

I agree we didn’t need to spend big on a vet but to be honest I think people are more worried about Campbell playing 17 games then Pierce not being ready to contribute. To also be fair…I’d be even more worried if Pierce wasn’t running with the ones…our receivers aren’t exactly stacked…he has basically beat out Dulin…that isn’t saying much. Luckily I think Ryan will improve our passing game as much as any receiving upgrades.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I agree we didn’t need to spend big on a vet but to be honest I think people are more worried about Campbell playing 17 games then Pierce not being ready to contribute. To also be fair…I’d be even more worried if Pierce wasn’t running with the ones…our receivers aren’t exactly stacked…he has basically beat out Dulin…that isn’t saying much. Luckily I think Ryan will improve our passing game as much as any receiving upgrades.

Colts need a 3rd skill position weapon after Taylor and Pittman.  It's not going to be at TE, so by default it has to be WR, unless they expand Hines' role beyond that of a 3rd down back.  In the end, Pierce has a lot to prove in order to be considered in the top half of the WR2 pool.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Dulin has been very good at camp. Campbell health yes. And big, big role for Hines. TE by committee. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, btownqb said:

reason #1 why we don't need a vet

Reason #1 why we do. He has caught 0 balls in an NFL game and has caught only 2 balls during live camp. If we are counting on big production from Pierce this year we are in trouble.

Reason #2 Campbell has not proven he can stay healthy.  In his 15 games played he has 2 games with 2 or more catches. 

Reason #3 We are putting a lot of faith in Hines, ( I think he will be our 2nd leading receiver in yards)

Reason #4 tight end group has very little experience. 

The Colts need a VET

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

There haven't been a lot of success stories of WRs in FA splashing big with their new team.

Golladay bust. Julio bust. There are many others, it seems. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Reason #1 why we do. He has caught 0 balls in an NFL game and has caught only 2 balls during live camp. If we are counting on big production from Pierce this year we are in trouble.

Reason #2 Campbell has not proven he can stay healthy.  In his 15 games played he has 2 games with 2 or more catches. 

Reason #3 We are putting a lot of faith in Hines, ( I think he will be our 2nd leading receiver in yards)

The Colts need a VET

Without a doubt we need a vet WR

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

The Colts need a VET

Don’t think there is one out there at the moment in FA but let’s watch after cut downs. Certainly room to upgrade our roster. We are thin on playmakers.

Just now, dgambill said:

Any take aways…I don’t pay for ESPN. Thanks!

Shoot. Sorry. Forgot is was an ESPN+ article... and I am canceling that now that we aren't in college baseball season, anymore, they raised the price by $3 a month (shocker, right?).

-Paye healthy- shooting for 10+ sacks 

-Campbell- stronger than people realize, knows the offense well

-Pierce- in the two days Fowler was at camp, he created separation the entire time. Gilmore struggled to keep up with him. He didn't just run vertical routes

-Nelson contract should be done before the season

The whole first two paragraphs of the article spoke about how Hines will catch 60+ balls and get a fair amount more carries, as well. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Yes it is…but that wasn’t the list at the outset of free agency. Now I’m not big on overpaying for old receivers but there were some deals that wouldn’t have been a big investment because of how many young rookies came in this year. I have no problem waiting til after cut downs to see if a vet shakes loose to provide depth for us. I’m not keen on depending on a rookie and an injury prone guy to risk our season on…like a little more insurance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Don’t think there is one out there at the moment in FA but let’s watch after cut downs. Certainly room to upgrade our roster. We are thin on playmakers.

We just don't have that much to sell. They're going to play Alec. Pittman is going to get 80% of the snaps and Campbell, if healthy, same thing. Now... if one of those three goes down, heck, we'd have a lot of PT. I like Dulin as a 4th WR though, he can play inside and out/run jet sweep/good YAC guy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Shoot. Sorry. Forgot is was an ESPN+ article... and I am canceling that now that we aren't in college baseball season, anymore, they raised the price by $3 a month (shocker, right?).

-Paye healthy- shooting for 10+ sacks 

-Campbell- stronger than people realize, knows the offense well

-Pierce- in the two days Fowler was at camp, he created separation the entire time. Gilmore struggled to keep up with him. He didn't just run vertical routes

-Nelson contract should be done before the season

The whole first two paragraphs of the article spoke about how Hines will catch 60+ balls and get a fair amount more carries, as well. 

Glad to see Hines will earn his pay. Also I drafted him in fantasy because I had a feeling with Ryan in the fold he will find a way to get him the ball as he has other “scat backs”.

Just now, dgambill said:

Yes it is…but that wasn’t the list at the outset of free agency. Now I’m not big on overpaying for old receivers but there were some deals that wouldn’t have been a big investment because of how many young rookies came in this year. I have no problem waiting til after cut downs to see if a vet shakes loose to provide depth for us. I’m not keen on depending on a rookie and an injury prone guy to risk our season on…like a little more insurance.

We were never going to "pay" a WR in FA..... we paid for a DE and CB. I don't know what contracts specifically you were talking about, but WRs got overpaid all offseason. Kirk's contract is absurd. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I agree. Really feel like we should have tried to trade for someone in the off season. I read last week that over the past 10 years Rookie WR avg less than 200 yards a season. I understand most dont play and bring that avg down but there are very few Chases out there to be big time in year one. Besides QB the hardest position to learn between college and the NFL IMO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree. Really feel like we should have tried to trade for someone in the off season. I read last week that over the past 10 years Rookie WR avg less than 200 yards a season. I understand most dont play and bring that avg down but there are very few Chases out there to be big time in year one. Besides QB the hardest position to learn between college and the NFL IMO

Most college receivers are wide open by scheme…and obviously talent gap. Learning to make contested catches and how to separate on top of the huge playbook and option routes…yeah daunting. 

• Like 1