2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

Next QB up for the Browns......Jacoby Brissett......

If Josh Dobbs doesn't beat him out, but yeah lol 

I think you and I would have fun at a Browns tailgate. Heard they'll make you lobster and steak if you want.... the theme is "you might as well go all out for the tailgate because we know the Browns are going to lose" hahahaha

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Sad but true. Another example that the NFL is teaching all of us is that MONEY is the only thing that matters. 

Honestly though, it's all that ever mattered to them. And that really doesn't bother me, it's the faking like they care about anything else that bothers me. 

Stop fronting. Ray Rice TOLD THEM HE KNOCKED HIS WIFE OUT!!!! Ray TOLD THEM THAT!!... then they suspend him, then video surfaces and they renege on the original suspension. Still cannot get over that one. Then you have the Kaep stuff, and just the circus he was allowed to create. It's just... ugh. 

Like which is it NFL? 

Personally, the 11 games and 5 million dollars seems sufficient to me. I wouldn't do more to my employees than the law does. I'm strictly speaking business here, not ethics. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Honestly though, it's all that ever mattered to them. And that really doesn't bother me, it's the faking like they care about anything else that bothers me. 

Stop fronting. Ray Rice TOLD THEM HE KNOCKED HIS WIFE OUT!!!! Ray TOLD THEM THAT!!... then they suspend him, then video surfaces and they renege on the original suspension. Still cannot get over that one. Then you have the Kaep stuff, and just the circus he was allowed to create. It's just... ugh. 

Like which is it NFL? 

Personally, the 11 games and 5 million dollars seems sufficient to me. I wouldn't do more to my employees than the law does. I'm strictly speaking business here, not ethics. 

Hard to argue with that. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Like which is it NFL? 

And Calvin Ridley receives a bigger penalty still. No clue what's right or wrong anymore in the punishment department but this doesn't seem right. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And Calvin Ridley receives a bigger penalty still. No clue what's right or wrong anymore in the punishment department but this doesn't seem right. 

They had to lay the hammer down to try and keep gambling out of the sport. Not fair but his gambling potentially impacts the results and the product. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

They had to lay the hammer down to try and keep gambling out of the sport. Not fair but his gambling potentially impacts the results and the product. 

I get it but I also get that about 1/4 of the league probably has a strawman cousin who makes their bets for them. For a league that gets so much $, Advertising, interest, exposure because of gambling and fantasy....it just seems steep to me!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I get it but I also get that about 1/4 of the league probably has a strawman cousin who makes their bets for them. For a league that gets so much $, Advertising, interest, exposure because of gambling and fantasy....it just seems steep to me!

I agree completely it's optics on that front and not in regard to Watson. Makes no sense

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree completely it's optics on that front and not in regard to Watson. Makes no sense

And when I say 1/4 of the league I'm not talking the 15% of the locker rooms that make 80% of the cap....I'm talking roster spots 30-53 (or whatever the number is anymore). Those guys who are making the minimum....guarantee a good chunk are putting some $ somewhere somehow. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

This is exactly what I came to point out. From all the suspensions and fines that are handed down, I feel the various punishments break down into one of two categories:

A) Those that affect the perception of "fairness" on the field

or

B) Anything else

Strictly from a business standpoint, any infraction that challenges, hurts or brings category A into question is the worst possible, as it threatens the idea of impartial, objective and "fair" competition. The NFL can't allow cheating of any way.

B categories, however vile, dangerous, scandalous, etc. are handled differently because the offending player/coach/exec/etc. can be made a martyr and punished separate from the League itself. Rice, Vick, Hunt, Carruth, Lewis, etc. all were doing ethically awful things, but they weren't hurting the core element of NFL fairness. 

It's easy for the NFL to deliver punishment to bad apples, so long as they aren't poisoning the tree.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

This is exactly what I came to point out. From all the suspensions and fines that are handed down, I feel the various punishments break down into one of two categories:

A) Those that affect the perception of "fairness" on the field

or

B) Anything else

Strictly from a business standpoint, any infraction that challenges, hurts or brings category A into question is the worst possible, as it threatens the idea of impartial, objective and "fair" competition. The NFL can't allow cheating of any way.

B categories, however vile, dangerous, scandalous, etc. are handled differently because the offending player/coach/exec/etc. can be made a martyr and punished separate from the League itself. Rice, Vick, Hunt, Carruth, Lewis, etc. all were doing ethically awful things, but they weren't hurting the core element of NFL fairness. 

It's easy for the NFL to deliver punishment to bad apples, so long as they aren't poisoning the tree.

Such a good post

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

If this were public school, there would be teachers that said "Deshaun had a hard home life with lots of trauma, his ACE score is through the roof". 😅🙄

Baker Mayfield's first game of the year is against Cleveland but the schedule came  out before the trade

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 2