2023 NFL Discussion

rico

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

NFLPA getting out in front of things it appears. Deshaun Watson ruling coming. Based on the wording alone of their release....I'd suspect Watson isn't getting suspended that much....or as much as the league office would want. 

Update. Arbitrator rules Watson be suspended for 6 games. No clue what the NFL plans to do but now the statement the NFLPA released last night makes sense. The knew it was light but they got out in front saying they will agree with whatever the judge says,etc....

Somewhere Calvin Ridley has to be going huh?

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Update. Arbitrator rules Watson be suspended for 6 games. No clue what the NFL plans to do but now the statement the NFLPA released last night makes sense. The knew it was light but they got out in front saying they will agree with whatever the judge says,etc....

Somewhere Calvin Ridley has to be going huh?

Is it wise for the NFL to appeal?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Is it wise for the NFL to appeal?

I don't know honestly. Trying to figure out similar precedent.....Big Ben and Zeke cases come to mind who both got 6 games. Of course there are others like Ridley (gambling if you call it that), Bryant, Josh Gordon,etc...who all got more games.

Of course I also am thinking Trevor Bauer in baseball got 2 years for extreme kink.

If there isn't enough evidence to file criminal charges I'd prefer sports to kindly stay out of things.

With all of that said. If this penalty stays in place. The Browns first 6 games are very favorable. They could go 4-2 and have DW back. Nobody can question how good Watson is on the field. At least when he last played that is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe (big maybe) the judge took into consideration Watson already sat out a year for this....maybe that's why the punishment is softer than expected?? Just guess.

PS....preseason football on TV this Thursday. 

Yeah, I had thought about him already missing an entire season.  Personally, I am fine with the ruling.  It will be interesting to see how Watson "behaves" from this point forward.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Yeah, I had thought about him already missing an entire season.  Personally, I am fine with the ruling.  It will be interesting to see how Watson "behaves" from this point forward.

I'm ok with it as well. Like I said earlier if there isn't enough to file criminal charges I'd like sports to stay out of work. 

Of course I say that knowing full well that if my employer knew I had 30 instances of stuff I'd probably be looking for a new job as well. 

The fallout on this one will be the fallout that every single issue in our country has these days. Both sides live in their own echo chamber and will believe what they want.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm ok with it as well. Like I said earlier if there isn't enough to file criminal charges I'd like sports to stay out of work. 

Of course I say that knowing full well that if my employer knew I had 30 instances of stuff I'd probably be looking for a new job as well. 

The fallout on this one will be the fallout that every single issue in our country has these days. Both sides live in their own echo chamber and will believe what they want.

Bottom line: Watson has value. Thats the underlining thing here. He has immense value... he is one of the best 8 QBs on the planet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe (big maybe) the judge took into consideration Watson already sat out a year for this....maybe that's why the punishment is softer than expected?? Just guess.

PS....preseason football on TV this Thursday. 

He didn't sit out a year for this, he got paid last year. 

• Like 2

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Understand. Was just throwing around ideas when news first broke. 

I get that, but he got paid last year and had said before any of the SA stuff came up he was wiling to sit out if they didn't trade him.

I personally can't wrap my head around 6 games - that's 1 quarter per woman. You don't believe the women? Then he shouldn't have gotten any games. But if you do believe them... then this is insulting. While I personally can't wrap my head around saying 24 women were lying, that makes more sense to me than saying I believe them but it isn't a big deal to sexually assault them, which is what this ruling is. 

Oh well, I guess....

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

The thing is, the NFLPA negotiated with the league to include code of conduct language. They can't very well go back and complain about misconduct when they agreed to allow language in the CBA that addresses the issues.

As far as comparing to other penalties handed down....Ridley as example was addressed by a different part of the CBA than was Watson's issue. As was Brady's deflategate suspension. Per Rich Eisen on his show this morning, there were actually 66 separate masseurs who were involved. Eisen works for the NFL and wouldn't come out saying anything untrue about his employer.  The arbitrator used the word "egregious" in describing Watson's behavior. I would use the same term in describing the lack of teeth put into this decision.

• Like 3