2023 NFL Discussion

rico

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Several former Hoosiers cut today, In addition to Caleb Jones mentioned above, Tevin Coleman, Nate Sudfeld, Coy Cronk, and Tegray Scales are names I've seen.  

Sudfeld was promptly brought in to Detroit. I'd love to see him get to start a few games once Williams is back later this season. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You think we'll have a package for Ehlinger to play in regular season games this season? 

I can't see that happening but would not be shocked if it did I guess. I think there are too many teams that needed a back up and would have claimed him immediately.  My thought this was just to protect him to be the back up next year. Maybe Frank has something up his sleeve

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You think we'll have a package for Ehlinger to play in regular season games this season? 

Absolutely. Goal line formations, short yardage. It's a #s game at that point and a QB with legs evens that out. Safeties play up and aggressive. We used Brissett similarly, effectively, and I think Ehlinger has boo coo more potential in that role than Jacoby. (not saying much, I guess)

Our wildcat (ish) formations were very effective last year... Titans game, Pats game come to mind... I think you can just use him in that situation, compared to putting Hines there at Q. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Sudfeld was promptly brought in to Detroit. I'd love to see him get to start a few games once Williams is back later this season. 

I think Goff might actually have a nice season once that offense gets fully healthy. The defense is still awful but they are making some nice moves on offense.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Goal line package/short yardage for Ehlinger would be using all of his best traits-- zone reads, RPOs, throwing on the run, and using his legs to make plays. There wouldn't be 7 step drop backs worrying about multiple reads, etc. 

I mean I like the kid…but you are really going to take a former mvp and veteran qb off the field in your most critical plays? One thing with Wentz… Ehh I’m not a huge fan…but with Reich I wouldn’t doubt it one bit lol. Matt Ryan is a player I put my full trust in to convert or audible into the right plays there. Would you take Peyton Manning off the field just to get a numbers advantage? Imo I put my trust in the brilliance of the player for my advantage over an extra man when I don’t know if I can trust them to execute or make the right read.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I mean I like the kid…but you are really going to take a former mvp and veteran qb off the field in your most critical plays? Ehh I’m not a huge fan…but with Reich I wouldn’t doubt it one bit lol.

On 4th and 1... SE is better than Matt Ryan. 

Guess what coverage we are getting on 4th and 1? 

Cov 0 or Cov 1 with a 5 or 6 man blitz.... So, either you consistently win vs. 1 on 1... or you incorporate a QBs legs. Look 4th and 1 I want the ball given to JT anyways, putting SE in the game to hand him the ball slows the defense wayyyy down in that regard. 

I actually assumed we all wanted to see SE in a short yardage/goal line package, at times. Colts haven't been good in the redzone for a while now. Or use Hines, I really don't care... someone has to account for the extra guy in the box. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

On 4th and 1... SE is better than Matt Ryan. 

Guess what coverage we are getting on 4th and 1? 

Cov 0 or Cov 1 with a 5 or 6 man blitz.... So, either you consistently win vs. 1 on 1... or you incorporate a QBs legs. Look 4th and 1 I want the ball given to JT anyways, putting SE in the game to hand him the ball slows the defense wayyyy down in that regard. 

I actually assumed we all wanted to see SE in a short yardage/goal line package, at times. Colts haven't been good in the redzone for a while now. Or use Hines, I really don't care... someone has to account for the extra guy in the box. 

Colts haven’t had an mvp qb in awhile. I trust Matt Ryan with the ball in his hands to either hand it off or audible to a quick slant/hot read…but hey…that’s why we are all arm chair qbs/gms/coaches. I’m sure we will have a package…just hope we don’t need it but a couple times a year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Colts haven’t had an mvp qb in awhile. I trust Matt Ryan with the ball in his hands to either hand it off or audible to a quick slant/hot read…but hey…that’s why we are all arm chair qbs/gms/coaches. I’m sure we will have a package…just hope we don’t need it but a couple times a year.

That's all I wanted it for lol... I didn't say it was base offense. 

1st and goal from the 8.... put Hines in motion on jet sweep, Ehlinger reads the playside DE... he flies up field, Sam keeps. You get your regular great OL run blocking with jet sweep action and a physical runner getting downhill.... you do all of that, while taking pressure off your big 3 to move the football. That was obviously just one example. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's all I wanted it for lol... I didn't say it was base offense. 

1st and goal from the 8.... put Hines in motion on jet sweep, Ehlinger reads the playside DE... he flies up field, Sam keeps. You get your regular great OL run blocking with jet sweep action and a physical runner getting downhill.... you do all of that, while taking pressure off your big 3 to move the football. That was obviously just one example. 

I’m hoping it would only happen a couple times a year…I thought maybe you were saying to use it once or twice a week. I just don’t want to be rolling it out with the season on the line. Putting guys in pressure packed moments that they are not used to or comfortable in to me causes them to make bad decisions…like not making the correct read. Some might say that it is the right call by the coach in that situation but actually it’s the wrong call because you are putting your team in position to fail by having the wrong personal on the field.

Edited by dgambill

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m hoping it would only happen a couple times a year…I thought maybe you were saying to use it once or twice a week. I just don’t want to be rolling it out with the season on the line. Putting guys in pressure packed moments that they are not used to or comfortable in to me causes them to make bad decisions…like not making the correct read. Some might say that it is the right call by the coach in that situation but actually it’s the wrong call because you are putting your team in position to fail by having the wrong personal on the field.

I think it would be the right personal. 3-4 plays a game, I love it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

is it? or do they just put up garbage fantasy points/points+yards late, so it makes them seem decent? 

We don’t know yet…they haven’t played any games. I’m saying I think the upgrades they have made are going to make them a lot more competitive and that offense is going to hold its own.

• Like 1