2023 NFL Discussion

rico

On 9/2/2022 at 6:36 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

I never got why he went in the fifth round.  I’ve followed the draft for decades and I felt like he was a second round talent.  

And I'll be the saying the same thing when Cam Jones falls to the 5th round next spring. The guy is a just a football player like Micah. They'll always find teams.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Cam Jones…what that kid brought in terms of production, toughness, and leadership…another all timer in my book.  I hope we get good news on his injury.  

It’s nice to have two receivers who are dynamic, Camper and DJ.   Between QB and those two guys, we are much better than last year as a team just based on that.  We were as much of a zero in those two areas as the season wore on as is possible at this level.  The other players were probably demoralized after that. Players know; they aren’t stupid.

As for running back, I get that Illinois stacked the box and it ended up hurting them in the pass game as we had receivers open down the field.  But the run blocking still wasn’t there.  I love Haggard and Bedford but the inside three guys gotta get some running lanes going.   I’d love to see some of our other backs get some run.  Trent Howland is a kid who has always intrigued me since we recruited him plus Allen has mentioned him recently.  This is a big, downhill kid who may break some tackles and give our running game some power.   Holloman is incredibly fast and may carve out a niche.  I’m not sure how they will put together a role for Lucas but he’s going to be electric.  Get him the ball in space one on one with a LB or S and good luck to them.   The other back is Spegal.  This is a kid, just throw out the hype and pedigree, he just gets yardage.  Runs hard and tough.

As for the D line.  Tevis was incredible.  Plus he’s smart enough to do double duty in the MBA program.  Proud of him as a representative of IU football!   This kid is a football player and you just got to love him.   I thought Lucas, one of the Ole Miss kids, flashed.  Sio was tough.   I thought the run yardage was more off the edge or wide not where the D tackles were.  I thought the right side of our line was most vulnerable.  It looked like they exploited Alfred Bryant in the run game.  Hopefully we can clean that up.

Man, Allen went full on Bobby Knight at Myles Jax for the lack of motor on that poor angle he took on that QB scramble  Colby is another and he killed us with a drop on the interception.  It’s one play for both of ‘em but those were killers.  One play can lose you a game.  I have to be honest, I’d lose trust in them right now.  They’d need to show me something to make up for those key plays to get back to significant snaps.  I hope they prove themselves in that regard.

You have to love Dasan.  He’s special.  He’s a true freshman and plays with a confidence bordering on athletic arrogance.  I mean that in a good way.  He’s good and athletic and knows he’s one of the most dynamic players on the field.  I love players like that.  

Give our staff credit.  Our defense against the run game, especially off the edge, got much more robust late.  Can’t say enough about how we played better the second part of the 4th quarter to pull out the win. Say whatever you want about this issue or that issue, as a staff and the players, they did the most important thing, which was have the moxie, game plan, and execution, to win the game in a comeback. Everybody rallied together as a team.  The win was huge and might give us a glimpse of what could be possible against Rutgers, Purdue, Maryland, Nebraska, etc.  

Bob, love ya, you know that... 

Did you mean to post that in this thread? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Would have never guessed where the Colts fell on this list. 

May be an image of text that says 'LAST TIME EACH TEAM WON THEIR DIVISION GÍACES LEATHER ars 2021 2021 2021// ဗဗက 202172021 2021- 72021 2021 2021 2021 Steelers S 2020 2020 2020 2020 2019 B 2019 2019 ത 2019 2017 2016 2015 2019 2018 2017 0 2014 2011 2009 2015 2015 RAIDER EW YORK 2008 2002 2002 1993 1989-'

Wow...me either. I'm curious what most Colts fans sentiment is like. I bring that up because my neighbors are diehards, season ticket holders in family since they moved here. He was telling me last night that it's time for this organization to start winning the division and advancing in playoffs again. He understands what Luck did to the franchise but enough is enough. 

Curious what others think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Wow...me either. I'm curious what most Colts fans sentiment is like. I bring that up because my neighbors are diehards, season ticket holders in family since they moved here. He was telling me last night that it's time for this organization to start winning the division and advancing in playoffs again. He understands what Luck did to the franchise but enough is enough. 

It certainly is time to start winning the division again. No reason why we shouldn't contend this year.

What happened with Luck was so unique. His retirement was abrupt, yet a bit understandable from a personal/human point of view. It hurt not having a true heir-in-waiting (sorry Brissett), but I don't think the Colts braintrust felt they needed a real succession plan in play so soon, as Luck was still in his prime.

They did the best with what they had and could get in the aftermath. The Wentz pickup was a glaring mistake.

• Like 2

Mike Tirico on DP Show this morning talking about the final 13 seconds Bills/Chiefs game....and the subsequent heartbreak we see as sports fans. DP asked Tirico his worst ever and zero pause he goes March 30th, 1987. Keith freakin Smart. Was covering game as a student at Cuse. Haha...

He has talked about that with Dakich on his show several times. Thanks for sharing that. His worst waa my best for sure

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yeah, I mean, I agree... now is the time. But, Ballard has been incredible to get us out of the Grigson hole, as well as he did. Look how good that roster is. Gotta put it all together. 

"now is the time".... literally meaning, until now, wasn't the time. It didn't matter if Tom Brady was QBing that team last year, the other roster pieces weren't in place. They are now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I completely agree. It's weird, you could make a case the Colts have been the best team in the division overall since they last won it, but it isn't amounting to anything. 

Yes, Luck put us in a bind but this year has to be the year. We got better almost everywhere on the field IMO, or at a minimum stayed even, with a team that should have been one of the scariest teams in the AFC heading into the playoffs last year. If they can't make a deep run (win division and at least a home playoff game, but really should be two unless it's a bye and straight to the AFCCG), then I will feel like it's a disappointment. I know how loaded the AFC is, I really do, but we I think are as good as any team 1-53 in the AFC.

• Like 1

For my Bears brethren. I'm starting to feel better about Sunday. If Kittle doesn't go?? He's easily the best run blocking TE in football. With the forecast calling for rain all game it could turn into a running/ball control game and if Kittle doesn't play we double Deebo, stack the box. Take our chances.

Also there's this. We all know the numbers behind teams coming from West to East. With early game on Sunday the 49ers body clocks are going to feel like it's 9-10am. We'll see what impact it has.

For my Bears brethren. I'm starting to feel better about Sunday. If Kittle doesn't go?? He's easily the best run blocking TE in football. With the forecast calling for rain all game it could turn into a running/ball control game and if Kittle doesn't play we double Deebo, stack the box. Take our chances.

Also there's this. We all know the numbers behind teams coming from West to East. With early game on Sunday the 49ers body clocks are going to feel like it's 9-10am. We'll see what impact it has.

I can see a 21 17 or 17 14 game and would not be surprised if Bears won but i think SF pulls out a close one

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I am interested in seeing how Fields performs.  Seems that a lot of talking heads have him on the "hot seat."

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 8:55 AM, Seeking6 said:

Luck was a really really good qb but it isn’t like he was carrying us to a division title like Peyton was. Don’t get me wrong…we likely would be awful without Luck but we were first pick in the draft awful without Peyton. To dominate a division for as long as we did just shows you how great Peyton and Tom and Rodgers etc are. They keep you at the top through even the down years of injury and lackluster rosters. That said if we don’t win our division this year….I’d be very very disappointed. No excuses.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2022 at 1:22 PM, btownqb said:

Yeah, I mean, I agree... now is the time. But, Ballard has been incredible to get us out of the Grigson hole, as well as he did. Look how good that roster is. Gotta put it all together. 

"now is the time".... literally meaning, until now, wasn't the time. It didn't matter if Tom Brady was QBing that team last year, the other roster pieces weren't in place. They are now. 

Tom Brady doesn’t win the division last year? That’s hard to believe.

• Like 2