2023 NFL Discussion

rico

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

For my Bears brethren. I'm starting to feel better about Sunday. If Kittle doesn't go?? He's easily the best run blocking TE in football. With the forecast calling for rain all game it could turn into a running/ball control game and if Kittle doesn't play we double Deebo, stack the box. Take our chances.

Also there's this. We all know the numbers behind teams coming from West to East. With early game on Sunday the 49ers body clocks are going to feel like it's 9-10am. We'll see what impact it has.

I predict an ugly ugly game. Weather…two young inaccurate qbs. Horrible offensive line with Chicago. Great defense in SF. I don’t like this one for my bear fans. Wondering if this is the year Aiyuk finally breaks out. Hearing good things but I have no confidence in Lance.

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

Not if Henry doesn't get hurt.  Colts were the 2nd best team in that division, regardless. 

Upgrade at QB, DE, corner, and hopefully WR.... should be paying huge dividends. 

I don’t think you give Tom enough credit. When was the last time he didn’t lead his team to the division title? Working with much less. Sorry we were good enough to beat Titans last year with Wentz…Tom wins that division and any of the previous years as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t think you give Tom enough credit. When was the last time he didn’t lead his team to the division title? Working with much less. Sorry we were good enough to beat Titans last year with Wentz…Tom wins that division and any of the previous years as well.

Less than 2nd year Pitt, Pascal, Moe Allie Cox, and Jack Doyle!? 

That's tough.  With a very average defense, OL being banged up and under performing? 

Over a very, very good Titans team? 

Tom doesn't run routes, cover WRs, or sack QBs. We sucked at those 3 things last year. 

• Like 1

Heard Greeny talking about how in the last 3 generations the other 3 teams in the AFC have drafted arguably the best QB in teams history and each time the Jets drafted a QB  before each of those teams that year in the draft.

Miami Marino- Jets took O' Bruen

Pats- Brady Jets Pennington 

Bills -Allen Jets Darnold

No matter how bad things are at least you are not a Jets fan!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Heard Greeny talking about how in the last 3 generations the other 3 teams in the AFC have drafted arguably the best QB in teams history and each time the Jets drafted a QB  before each of those teams that year in the draft.

Greenberg is always whining about his J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

He forgot to mention that the Bills drafted Jim Kelly the same year that the Dolphins picked Marino

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I predict an ugly ugly game. Weather…two young inaccurate qbs. Horrible offensive line with Chicago. Great defense in SF. I don’t like this one for my bear fans. Wondering if this is the year Aiyuk finally breaks out. Hearing good things but I have no confidence in Lance.

I think our OLine is going to surprise some people...but I'll need to see a few games before making any judgements good or bad. 

Getsy seems to have a good feel for Fields wants so I expect even with bad weather plenty of roll outs where he can do 1 of 3 things. Run, hit Kmet or Slot guy at 10 yards or so....or have the up top option. They did vs Cleveland multiple times and worked really well.

PS....thanks to the Chicago Parks District Eberflus had to get new grass installed. Something called Tahoma31. Only as a Bears fan would I need to find out about new grass 96 hours before kick.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Less than 2nd year Pitt, Pascal, Moe Allie Cox, and Jack Doyle!? 

That's tough.  With a very average defense, OL being banged up and under performing? 

Over a very, very good Titans team? 

Tom doesn't run routes, cover WRs, or sack QBs. We sucked at those 3 things last year. 

Nope he just makes everyone better and wins games. I know what your trying to say…I get that…and not trying to argue but we was better than Tennessee last year despite all you said. We should/could easily have won both those games. Our schedule was easier..better qb play wins us easily 4 more games imo. 

33 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Question could be asked if they took those other guys would that have changed anything…or would we be saying the same thing in reverse.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Luck was a really really good qb but it isn’t like he was carrying us to a division title like Peyton was. Don’t get me wrong…we likely would be awful without Luck but we were first pick in the draft awful without Peyton. To dominate a division for as long as we did just shows you how great Peyton and Tom and Rodgers etc are. They keep you at the top through even the down years of injury and lackluster rosters. That said if we don’t win our division this year….I’d be very very disappointed. No excuses.

You don’t think Luck is the difference in a division title in any of those years?!?

52 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Not if Henry doesn't get hurt.  Colts were the 2nd best team in that division, regardless. 

Upgrade at QB, DE, corner, and hopefully WR.... should be paying huge dividends. 

Silly take my guy. Brady absolutely flips the outcome of Rams, Ravens, Titans, and Jags game at a minimum last year which absolutely is going to give us the division considering the Titans only lost 3 games with Henry out.

I like Ballard a lot and think he is as good as anyone in the business at scouting and drafting, but there is a lot to question about his ability to bring in guys to put us over the top and his evaluating of what our window is. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Question could be asked if they took those other guys would that have changed anything…or would we be saying the same thing in reverse.

I think with a better QB those Rex Ryan Jets could have won a couple SBs.  Instead they had Mark Sanchez.

Edited by rico
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You don’t think Luck is the difference in a division title in any of those years?!?

Not sure…would he have stayed healthy? Guy played the game with reckless abandon..he was just as much if not the reason for his own injuries as a poor OL. Held the ball too long…always looking for the big play…scrambling and not sliding. All I can go by is what he did. No doubt we would be a playoff team but we only won the division twice with Luck. Who knows if we would with him as I honestly don’t know if he would keep himself healthy. Also don’t know if he would keep going snowboarding and destroying his already injured shoulder.

Edited by dgambill

31 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Silly take my guy. Brady absolutely flips the outcome of Rams, Ravens, Titans, and Jags game at a minimum last year which absolutely is going to give us the division considering the Titans only lost 3 games with Henry out.

I like Ballard a lot and think he is as good as anyone in the business at scouting and drafting, but there is a lot to question about his ability to bring in guys to put us over the top and his evaluating of what our window is. 

Wentz threw for 400 yards vs for the Ravens. I'm not counting that as an auto win because of the kicking and DB situation...

And if Henry doesn't get hurt... not sure 3 more wins, wins the division. Which is what the argument was to begin with. 

And even before that... the lens was "the Colts weren't only a QB away last year".. which is fact. No teams winning a SB with that weak of secondary and DEs. Just not gunna happen. 

I didnt say... "Tom Brady wouldn't have helped our W/L record" certainly he would have. I think Matt Ryan does, as well. Gilmore, Yannick, Cross probably equally as much. Along with health and more consistent pass pro. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Nope he just makes everyone better and wins games. I know what your trying to say…I get that…and not trying to argue but we was better than Tennessee last year despite all you said. We should/could easily have won both those games. Our schedule was easier..better qb play wins us easily 4 more games imo. 

Our schedule was marginally easier. And with the 0-3 start because of covid and injuries... then the Ravens debacle. Ooof

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Luck was a really really good qb but it isn’t like he was carrying us to a division title like Peyton was. Don’t get me wrong…we likely would be awful without Luck but we were first pick in the draft awful without Peyton. To dominate a division for as long as we did just shows you how great Peyton and Tom and Rodgers etc are. They keep you at the top through even the down years of injury and lackluster rosters. That said if we don’t win our division this year….I’d be very very disappointed. No excuses.

The other big thing about those players (Luck included) is that they fill a space and need that the GM doesn't need to worry about. Once Luck retired, there was an incredible amount of energy put into filling that hole; energy, money and draft collateral that could've been used on other areas of the team. Draft picks were spent getting Wentz. Picks that could've been used to upgrade other positions.

Not to mention that high quality QBs naturally make their players look better by putting the ball in the best places.

It's a ripple effect.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Wentz threw for 400 yards vs for the Ravens. I'm not counting that as an auto win because of the kicking and DB situation...

And if Henry doesn't get hurt... not sure 3 more wins, wins the division. Which is what the argument was to begin with. 

And even before that... the lens was "the Colts weren't only a QB away last year".. which is fact. No teams winning a SB with that weak of secondary and DEs. Just not gunna happen. 

I didnt say... "Tom Brady wouldn't have helped our W/L record" certainly he would have. I think Matt Ryan does, as well. Gilmore, Yannick, Cross probably equally as much. Along with health and more consistent pass pro. 

My bad…I thought we were saying would we overtake Tennessee. Does all the injuries that happened to us magically get reversed as well since we don’t count Henry’s? All I know is I think we beat them…and probably win the division. Didn’t know if we were saying win the SB….although do I think we could have beaten cincy and depending on the draw who knows with Brady. That’s the thing…he isn’t the greatest for no reason..and he has won with much less than our team last year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

The other big thing about those players (Luck included) is that they fill a space and need that the GM doesn't need to worry about. Once Luck retired, there was an incredible amount of energy put into filling that hole; energy, money and draft collateral that could've been used on other areas of the team. Draft picks were spent getting Wentz. Picks that could've been used to upgrade other positions.

Not to mention that high quality QBs naturally make their players look better by putting the ball in the best places.

It's a ripple effect.

Very good point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My bad…I thought we were saying would we overtake Tennessee. Does all the injuries that happened to us magically get reversed as well since we don’t count Henry’s? All I know is I think we beat them…and probably win the division. Didn’t know if we were saying win the SB….although do I think we could have beaten cincy and depending on the draw who knows with Brady. That’s the thing…he isn’t the greatest for no reason..and he has won with much less than our team last year.

I'm saying... going into the year, last year... Brady or no Brady... I would not have had the Colts #1 in the division. They were the better team... 

Now? 

Not so much. Colts are absolutely a better team. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

It's a ripple effect.

Gawwwwd great post. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, btownqb said:

We can agree to disagree on Brady being the difference in a division title or not.

But the second half of your post kinda outscores some of my criticisms of Ballard - until this year he has refused to go get the guys we need in free agency. He did that this year and I'm incredibly bullish on this team as a result; I think Irsay gave some ultimatums to Ballard and to Reich this offseason and it seems as if they've gotten the message. 

15 hours ago, btownqb said:

I'm saying... going into the year, last year... Brady or no Brady... I would not have had the Colts #1 in the division. They were the better team... 

Now? 

Not so much. Colts are absolutely a better team. 

We lost the division on a tiebreaker the year prior. You are saying you think if we add Brady instead of Wentz last year that you'd have thought the TIts had a better offseason than us? I think that's a bit of revisionist history about how bad the season started and ended last year.