2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Just now, DC2345 said:

I’d bet the GM will be Saturday if he isn’t the permanent HC. 

Please, no on Saturday being the HC.  I make a huge push for Harbaugh or Payton as HC and have them have input on the GM they want to work with. Do this and Irsay goes back to just being the owner and let those guys do their jobs.

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I was all for him earning the right to have a long term role, he just hasn't earned it. 

How was that going to happen? This team isn’t in a position to succeed. They could have the greatest HC on the planet but with the current staff and QB situation it wouldn’t matter. He’s clearly had a positive impact even with the team getting demolished in Dallas. 

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Please, no on Saturday being the HC.  I make a huge push for Harbaugh or Payton as HC and have them have input on the GM they want to work with. Do this and Irsay goes back to just being the owner and let those guys do their jobs.

Payton will not be happening. I’m 100% confident in that. 

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

How was that going to happen? This team isn’t in a position to succeed. They could have the greatest HC on the planet but with the current staff and QB situation it wouldn’t matter. He’s clearly had a positive impact even with the team getting demolished in Dallas. 

Last couple of weeks his game management hasn't been there. Also I am tired of hiring coaches and GM's who had mo prior experience in those positions 

Just now, IU Scott said:

Last couple of weeks his game management hasn't been there. Also I am tired of hiring coaches and GM's who had mo prior experience in those positions 

I personally think he’s better suited to be a GM. There are plenty of former players who’ve had success doing that without prior experience. If he’s paired with a veteran coach like Harbaugh I wouldn’t mind plus he’s got insight into the players and their mindsets after coaching for a few games.

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I personally think he’s better suited to be a GM. There are plenty of former players who’ve had success doing that without prior experience. If he’s paired with a veteran coach like Harbaugh I wouldn’t mind plus he’s got insight into the players and their mindsets after coaching for a few games.

I think the main thing he was brought in for is to let Irsay know what is wrong in the locker room. Also Irsay trust him on his evaluation of the players and who should stay or go.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think the main thing he was brought in for is to let Irsay know what is wrong in the locker room. Also Irsay trust him on his evaluation of the players and who should stay or go.

Which is why he makes some sense as GM imo if the pieces surrounding him help to make up for his lack of experience 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Alright, what's gotten better?

Our winning percentage has gotten worse, our offense still can't score over 20, we still get killed in the turnover battle.

I like Jeff, but what can you point to that's he's actually done that says he deserves a really important job with an NFL team?

Edited by KoB2011

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Alright, what's gotten better?

Our winning percentage has gotten worse, our offense still can't score over 20, we still get killed in the turnover battle.

I like Jeff, but what can you point to that's he's actually done that says he deserves a really important job with an NFL team?

He's coached 4 games. 1-3 record with 2 of those losses being 1 possession games. He doesn't have a real OC or a quality QB. The OL has shown some signs of improvement when everyone was healthy in the first 3 games prior to Dallas. In the first half against Dallas the team was competitive but he's got a QB that loves turning the ball over and that's a Ballard issue because he keeps getting washed QB's and offensive players that aren't difference makers. 

I also don't necessarily think he deserves anything but I believe Irsay is going to let him have a job if he wants it. Plenty of other guys have gotten jobs they didn't "deserve" and it worked out just fine for their teams. 

Edited by DC2345

54 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

He's coached 4 games. 1-3 record with 2 of those losses being 1 possession games. He doesn't have a real OC or a quality QB. The OL has shown some signs of improvement when everyone was healthy in the first 3 games prior to Dallas. In the first half against Dallas the team was competitive but he's got a QB that loves turning the ball over and that's a Ballard issue because he keeps getting washed QB's and offensive players that aren't difference makers. 

I also don't necessarily think he deserves anything but I believe Irsay is going to let him have a job if he wants it. Plenty of other guys have gotten jobs they didn't "deserve" and it worked out just fine for their teams. 

I certainly understand all of the issues he's facing, but as much as those issues are all true he's also one play away from being 0-4. 

I was as critical as anyone of Frank and think moving on was the right move, but if Ballard got him a kicker to start the year and he didn't have a QB change forced upon him, he's at least 5-4 if not 6-3 when he gets fired. 

At the end of the day Irsay is going to do whatever he wants, it's his team, but I'm not going to be happy at all if Saturday gets a long term job with the Colts. I'm honestly not sure the NFL isn't going to make things very uncomfortable for us if it happens, and they would probably be right to do so. It's not just that Saturday has no experience, it's that he has very little experience and what he does have is awful and shows very little promise. 

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I certainly understand all of the issues he's facing, but as much as those issues are all true he's also one play away from being 0-4. 

I was as critical as anyone of Frank and think moving on was the right move, but if Ballard got him a kicker to start the year and he didn't have a QB change forced upon him, he's at least 5-4 if not 6-3 when he gets fired. 

At the end of the day Irsay is going to do whatever he wants, it's his team, but I'm not going to be happy at all if Saturday gets a long term job with the Colts. I'm honestly not sure the NFL isn't going to make things very uncomfortable for us if it happens, and they would probably be right to do so. It's not just that Saturday has no experience, it's that he has very little experience and what he does have is awful and shows very little promise. 

That’s why I don’t think he’ll be HC. I think he’ll be GM which won’t get near the backlash. John Elway and John Lynch are both examples of guys with no prior front office experience prior to running a team. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

That’s why I don’t think he’ll be HC. I think he’ll be GM which won’t get near the backlash. John Elway and John Lynch are both examples of guys with no prior front office experience prior to running a team. 

Did either of them have a train wreck experience as an interim coach directly before becoming GM? 

Sorry, I don't think there's really a comparable example of someone in Saturday's position getting that job. If he hadn't taken then Interim HC job then sure, but we can't undo that at this point. 

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Did either of them have a train wreck experience as an interim coach directly before becoming GM? 

Sorry, I don't think there's really a comparable example of someone in Saturday's position getting that job. If he hadn't taken then Interim HC job then sure, but we can't undo that at this point. 

Closest example I can think of is Bart Starr. Retired in 1971. Coached the quarterbacks for the Packers in 1972. Went into private business for 2 years and was named head coach for the 1975 season. Coached 9 years. Was his own GM the first 5. Wasn’t very successful and had a losing record overall for his career 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1