2023 NFL Discussion

rico

41 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Are Burrow and Goff the only 2 QBS taken in top 3 picks in the past 10 years that you can call hits??

If Goff is a hit... Cousins and Carr are fine QBs. I understand that wasn't the point you were trying to make, though. 

And to answer your question, I am not sure. 

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If Goff is a hit... Cousins and Carr are fine QBs. I understand that wasn't the point you were trying to make, though. 

And to answer your question, I am not sure. 

I just think you can get you guy if you  really want to other than a top 5 pick or reaching. I had to stretch to get to Goff,  maybe Lawrence some day

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I would take D Carr for the next 4-5 years over any QB in this draft, I believe. What is wrong with K Cousins? 

20-9

33-7

35-13

26-6

30-10 

those are his TD to INT #s since being in Minny. 

We were only going that route because the rest of the roster was so good, and Ballard built it absurdly quick. I have had no issue with any of this, or many of the moves we've made. I agree that finding "the guy" in the draft is the best route. That still does not mean THAT option is in THIS draft. 

Kirk Cousins has elite or quality assets at all of the skill positions, but everyone knows he has a ceiling that ends before the SB.  If Mahomes or Allen were in Minnesota, they would be the SB favorites.

• Like 1

Mahomes has Kelce and a blob of RBs and WRs

Allen has Diggs, an average committee at RB, and a TE who catches some TDs and not much else

Carr has Adams and Jacobs and a losing record.

Cousins has Jefferson, Cook, and Hockenson and no one that believes they can get by the Eagles, Cowboys, or 49ers.

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Mahomes has Kelce and a blob of RBs and WRs

Allen has Diggs, an average committee at RB, and a TE who catches some TDs and not much else

Carr has Adams and Jacobs and a losing record.

Cousins has Jefferson, Cook, and Hockenson and no one that believes they can get by the Eagles, Cowboys, or 49ers.

Those 3 NFC teams are the top ranked defenses in the league. Vikings also have an average to banged up O-line, and a porous defense.

Edited by Steubenhoosier
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Kirk Cousins has elite or quality assets at all of the skill positions, but everyone knows he has a ceiling that ends before the SB.  If Mahomes or Allen were in Minnesota, they would be the SB favorites.

The 49ers are the most talented team in the NFL.  I think they can win the SB with Purdy at QB. 

Either way, none of this means the Colts should take a QB in the first round. I'd take Dak over most QBs in the NFL and he was in 4th rd.

Vikings aren't that loaded. JJ is awesome.  Cook isn't elite and neither is Hockenson. Bengals weapons are better than Minnesotas. 

If Vikings had Mahomes or Rodgers... they would also have 15-17 less million a year to spend, so I don't think you can just say they're the favorite then.  

I think the Pats won 6 SBs with a QB that wasn't on Manning, Mahomes, or Rodgers level.  

Last few days I have heard se draft experts and some of the are questioning this year's QB class even the top 3. They don't think any of them will be able to come in and start right away. If that is the case even if the Colts draft a QB in the first round they will still need to have a veteran come in and start.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Last few days I have heard se draft experts and some of the are questioning this year's QB class even the top 3. They don't think any of them will be able to come in and start right away. If that is the case even if the Colts draft a QB in the first round they will still need to have a veteran come in and start.

Should have already cut matt Ryan and saved, I think I heard 14 million next year.  Instead, they are still starting him and seemingly trying to win.  So stupid.  The colts and Pacers are the worst tankers in all of professional sports.  

19 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Should have already cut matt Ryan and saved, I think I heard 14 million next year.  Instead, they are still starting him and seemingly trying to win.  So stupid.  The colts and Pacers are the worst tankers in all of professional sports.  

I know KOB disagrees, but MR has made $290 million dollars in his NFL contracts alone, I simply don't see him not retiring. 

58 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

And you believe the draft experts?  

McShay's first mock draft 

Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern

Everyone knows Indy needs a quarterback, but it shouldn’t be reaching for the fourth-best passer in the class at No. 7. I’m sure the Colts will attempt to move up, but let’s not forget about the other problems with this roster. You can’t blame all 46 sacks allowed (tied for the NFL’s most) on Matt Ryan’s lack of mobility, especially considering the offensive line’s 46.8% pass block win rate is dead last in the NFL. Skoronski might not have ideal length at 6-foot-4, but his quickness and technique pop on tape. Plus, he is a stout run-blocker, which would open things up for Jonathan Taylor. Skoronski could slide into the left tackle role and help fix a unit that fell off quite a bit in 2022.”

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He is guaranteed 12 million no matter what and had another 17 million if he is on the team in March. He also has some money guaranteed if he can't pass a physical and can't play due to injuries 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2022/10/24/23421353/colts-salary-cap-implications-to-move-on-from-veteran-qb-matt-ryan-at-seasons-end

17 hours ago, btownqb said:

I know KOB disagrees, but MR has made $290 million dollars in his NFL contracts alone, I simply don't see him not retiring. 

I mean I won't be shocked if he retires, I just won't be shocked if he doesn't either. It's a lot of money to leave on the table.

That said, if we are saying to draft a QB that is going to sit for part of the season, why wouldn't we want Matt Ryan to be the guy he sits behind? You know going into that it's Matt's last year, he's got a lot to offer from the mental side of things to a young QB, and honestly when you factor in we are paying him regardless, he's cheaper than any other option that involves cutting MR and paying someone else. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

No I don't. 

I mean I'm not opposed to the plan of taking a QB in Round 2 if we can't get Stroud or Young, or for whatever reason the GM doesn't think they're the guy. 

I will say, a couple of the guys I liked as guys not to take in the first round and develop have stayed in college, so that's a bummer in that regard for me (Penix and Nix)