2023 NFL Discussion

rico

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

As an Eagles fan, not worried about the win over the Bears today whatsoever. It was always going to be a trap game. It was their 2nd of 3 straight on the road and sandwiched between divisional road games again the Giants and at Dallas on Christmas Eve. 

I'm actually more encouraged that we still got the win in that situation and while not having our A game. 

Absolutely. What I see in guys like Hurts, Allen, Tua,etc.....is what I see coming with Fields. Add some talent around the operation with some wide receivers and all of a sudden you have something. 

Fields has the 2nd highest rating of any qb this week without his top wr's and zero line. Good times coming for Bears and I think the Eagles did exactly what you needed today. Win and move along. It's not going to be 48-17 every week.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Lets say the Rams lose tonight, and Rams win vs. Broncos... 

1- Hou-- QB

2- Chi- no QB

3- Cards-- no QB

4- Seattle-- ?? This is Denvers pick

5- Colts

... I don't think the Colts should try and move up. Who flipping knows

The question will be, will QB needy teams below the Colts put together huge offers to move up to 2 or 3? Like the Panthers ? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Lets say the Rams lose tonight, and Rams win vs. Broncos... 

1- Hou-- QB

2- Chi- no QB

3- Cards-- no QB

4- Seattle-- ?? This is Denvers pick

5- Colts

... I don't think the Colts should try and move up. Who flipping knows

Will Levis will be sitting right there at #5.

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Raimann has played well. And Yannick isn't signed next year.  

And there's a couple DEs, it seems. 

I’d say Raimann has been OK, but not sure he’s a starting LT. He’s just gotten overpowered more than you would like to see, especially when you have a statue at QB. 

But I do think he can be useful somewhere on the OL, especially with his rookie contract. 

The biggest mistake they could make would be to draft a QB just because Jimmy says so…

10 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

I’d say Raimann has been OK, but not sure he’s a starting LT. He’s just gotten overpowered more than you would like to see, especially when you have a statue at QB. 

But I do think he can be useful somewhere on the OL, especially with his rookie contract. 

The biggest mistake they could make would be to draft a QB just because Jimmy says so…

Your final point is perfect, agree. 

One off the wall idea I had was... draft LT.. move Raimann to RT and Smith to RG. 

I'd still prefer DE with who is at the top of the mocks, though. 

And then just draft a RG later on. 

This is all with the idea "theres no QB we like" 

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Your final point is perfect, agree. 

One off the wall idea I had was... draft LT.. move Raimann to RT and Smith to RG. 

I'd still prefer DE with who is at the top of the mocks, though. 

And then just draft a RG later on. 

This is all with the idea "theres no QB we like" 

That sounds like a much better plan than what the Colts will probably end up doing. 

5 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Did you guys see this?  

Shefter said NFL teams have paid out $800 million to fired coaches and front office executives over the last 5 years.  

Yes, Colts will pay Reich $9M per year through 2026

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2022/12/18/colts-paying-fired-coach-frank-reich-9-million-a-year-through-2026-per-espn/69738622007/

On 12/18/2022 at 7:36 PM, btownqb said:

Surely we could get him in the 3rd or 4th. 

Not sure where he will go but my point would be that he will probably skip going for the top one and think he can get one later and be just fine. To me its the biggest issue that needs addressed and we’ve tried the bandaid approach long enough…to try to get smart and take a later qb and think we can bridge the gap again I’m not interested. There are a few franchise capable qbs in this draft. With the right coaching and tools given to them they have the makeup to be successful. We should target the one that we want and will fit our goal and system we want to run and go after them.

I think we should just assume we are going to be pretty bad to mediocre for the next few years. Nothing about this team screams contender. Bite the bullet and make moves to solidify the the future at positions of qb, DE, can, and if we don’t think we have the correct LT…there too. If that means moving off guys at their prime or playing very well like Buckner and Gilmore etc you do that to address those positions. I love those guys but by the time we have a qb that can win us playoff games they will be out of their contracts or getting older. You need guys at those key positions to counter act and neutralize your opponent. Pass rush and elite corners allow you to take passing game away. Much cheaper and easier to find run stuffers than elite pass rushers. I just think we have to address those critical positions and as good as Ballard has done in building the other ones he has failed to draft/acquire the game wreckers on both sides of the ball. 

Id much rather take a big swing even if a miss then just play this broken record of qb carousel for another 3-4 years. Like the Pacers I can stand losing if it’s young guys playing hard with an opportunity of getting better. Mediocrity to me is putrid. It’s what had killed IU. There is no sense of momentum no sense of excitement with mediocrity.

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think we should just assume we are going to be pretty bad to mediocre for the next few years. Nothing about this team screams contender. Bite the bullet and make moves to solidify the the future at positions of qb, DE, can, and if we don’t think we have the correct LT…there too. If that means moving off guys at their prime or playing very well like Buckner and Gilmore etc you do that to address those positions. I love those guys but by the time we have a qb that can win us playoff games they will be out of their contracts or getting older. You need guys at those key positions to counter act and neutralize your opponent. Pass rush and elite corners allow you to take passing game away. Much cheaper and easier to find run stuffers than elite pass rushers. I just think we have to address those critical positions and as good as Ballard has done in building the other ones he has failed to draft/acquire the game wreckers on both sides of the ball. 

Id much rather take a big swing even if a miss then just play this broken record of qb carousel for another 3-4 years. Like the Pacers I can stand losing if it’s young guys playing hard with an opportunity of getting better. Mediocrity to me is putrid. It’s what had killed IU. There is no sense of momentum no sense of excitement with mediocrity.

This is a great post. Ballard supposedly has a “high hit rate” in the draft, but it’s mostly on the least important positions: guard, tailback, WR2, LB, S, etc. 

Trade the older players like Buckner, Gilmore etc, for future draft picks, tank in 2023, draft Caleb Williams or Drake Maye in 2024. 

• Like 1