2023 NFL Discussion

rico

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Does RG III get cancelled for this?? Bet my bottom dollar no he doesn't. Gotta love this cancel culture we live in.  Just asking ,would Steve Young be afforded the same amount of grace????

https://www.yahoo.com/news/espns-robert-griffin-iii-uses-121116173.html

Such BS, and you're right. I have no issue with him saying this... it's clearly a mistake, right? I would also not have an issue with Steve Young.... making a mistake. 

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Does RG III get cancelled for this?? Bet my bottom dollar no he doesn't. Gotta love this cancel culture we live in.  Just asking ,would Steve Young be afforded the same amount of grace????

https://www.yahoo.com/news/espns-robert-griffin-iii-uses-121116173.html

And it won't let me go back a page and quote your long paragraph about the Colts. 

We made a mistake letting go of Wentz. It never made sense at the time, and it doesn't now. One of the few times I have been very frustrated with Irsay. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Over the past year I have changed my thinking on what it takes to be successful in the NFL as a team. I am no longer convinced that you need a top pick QB to win. I have seen more misses than hits at the top of the draft. I think you need to use your first pick to get the best WR in the draft. Every team in the hunt for the playoffs except for Baltimore and Tennessee have stud #1 WR or more. I got into lots of arguments last year about where Pittman should be ranked and I still say he is not a #1 on a playoff team. I cannot think of 1 team that has a shot at winning the SB that he would be their #1.  The Eagles have Brown and Smith and now all of a sudden Jalen is an MVP candidate. Tua gets Waddle and Hill and he is near the top in passing stats and has the Dolphins right there. Those 2 QB's would not be successful with the talent the Colts have on offense. For 3 years I have been screaming for play makers and Pierce might get there Paris has flashes, Pittman would be a great #2.  I think you need a more than serviceable QB get him a couple of weapons and give yourself a chance. Lastly as much as people ripped Wentz I think that he covered up just how poor the OL was last year and with a gun shy statue for a QB this year we are seeing it on full display. Wentz covered up a lot of flaws on the offense.

Totally agree with this post. Today on Greenie's radio show and the guest were talking about QB is the drafts. Usually 2 out of the 4 QB's drafted in the first round don't make it.

47 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Over the past year I have changed my thinking on what it takes to be successful in the NFL as a team. I am no longer convinced that you need a top pick QB to win. I have seen more misses than hits at the top of the draft. I think you need to use your first pick to get the best WR in the draft. Every team in the hunt for the playoffs except for Baltimore and Tennessee have stud #1 WR or more. I got into lots of arguments last year about where Pittman should be ranked and I still say he is not a #1 on a playoff team. I cannot think of 1 team that has a shot at winning the SB that he would be their #1.  The Eagles have Brown and Smith and now all of a sudden Jalen is an MVP candidate. Tua gets Waddle and Hill and he is near the top in passing stats and has the Dolphins right there. Those 2 QB's would not be successful with the talent the Colts have on offense. For 3 years I have been screaming for play makers and Pierce might get there Paris has flashes, Pittman would be a great #2.  I think you need a more than serviceable QB get him a couple of weapons and give yourself a chance. Lastly as much as people ripped Wentz I think that he covered up just how poor the OL was last year and with a gun shy statue for a QB this year we are seeing it on full display. Wentz covered up a lot of flaws on the offense.

To me if the Colts have a good team we need #1 WR.

1- ? 

2- Pittman

3- Pierce

4- Campbell 

Also need to get TE Woods more involved in the passing game. Also need a YE that can run block as well.

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

And it won't let me go back a page and quote your long paragraph about the Colts. 

We made a mistake letting go of Wentz. It never made sense at the time, and it doesn't now. One of the few times I have been very frustrated with Irsay. 

Pittman looked a lot better with Wentz under center as well and the buying of time allowed him to come open across the middle so much more. 

Only one position on a football team can totally change the culture of that team.  Free agents make decisions they otherwise would not if they believe in the QB.

Does Von Miller sign with the Bills if Josh Allen is not QB?  Why, all of a sudden, with Joe Burrow,  are players interested in the Bengals after a 40 year stretch of Cincy being the last place a player would consider.

If the Colts have the opportunity to draft one of the top 3 QBs in the draft, they have to absolutely take it. Sure, it could be a miss, but it could be Patrick Mahomes.  Mahomes may ultimately only win the 1 SB, but he will have made the Chiefs relavent for 15 years, much the same Manning did with the Colts. 

Or, they could continue to kick the can hoping a 3rd or 4th rounder can turn into a game manager capable of winning it all the one year the planets perfectly align.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Only one position on a football team can totally change the culture of that team.  Free agents make decisions they otherwise would not if they believe in the QB.

Does Von Miller sign with the Bills if Josh Allen is not QB?  Why, all of a sudden, with Joe Burrow,  are players interested in the Bengals after a 40 year stretch of Cincy being the last place a player would consider.

If the Colts have the opportunity to draft one of the top 3 QBs in the draft, they have to absolutely take it. Sure, it could be a miss, but it could be Patrick Mahomes.  Mahomes may ultimately only win the 1 SB, but he will have made the Chiefs relavent for 15 years, much the same Manning did with the Colts. 

Or, they could continue to kick the can hoping a 3rd or 4th rounder can turn into a game manager capable of winning it all the one year the planets perfectly align.

I am not saying a 3rd or 4th rounder and I do agree with the statement about free agents. Do you think guys are going to Minnesota to play with Cousins, I don't but Cousins with a Jefferson and Cook and Thielan well now thats another story.  I just don't think you need a Mahomes to win a SB and I think many players were Made by Manning etc.. but many QB's were made by great WR's also. In this NFL you have no chance without a dynamic WR. Look at the guys Mahommes and Allen get to throw to. 

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Could you imaging having a Chase on your team. A player like that gets me excited. 

DEs get me just as excited. I don't think J Chase is in this draft. I mean rushing the QB is still the name of the game defensively. 

J Chase is probably my favorite player not on the Colts. Or at least WAY up there. I told everyone, literally as that LSU run was happening.... Burrow isn't the prize on this team. Those two WRs are. 

• Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

DEs get me just as excited. I don't think J Chase is in this draft. I mean rushing the QB is still the name of the game defensively. 

J Chase is probably my favorite player not on the Colts. Or at least WAY up there. I told everyone, literally as that LSU run was happening.... Burrow isn't the prize on this team. Those two WRs are. 

Some of my favorite football memories as an adult was watching Mathis and Freney pin their ears back and just get after the QB once the offense gave them a lead. That was a thing on beauty. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Some of my favorite football memories as an adult was watching Mathis and Freney pin their ears back and just get after the QB once the offense gave them a lead. That was a thing on beauty. 

100% 

I really don't know the answer. I don't think blindly going in to this draft saying we have to draft a Q is the answer though. 

It doesn't seem like there are a ton of teams that just 100% obviously need a QB. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We can't just shit out a QB in this draft if there isn't one there. Poop Qs do no one any good. 

If you don't get the QB right in the draft you will be Cleveland and the Jets who keep drafting them high but can't get it right.  If we are picking 7th and the top two is off the board. If the next QB is projected to be a mid to late first round pick you don't just pick him.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you don't get the QB right in the draft you will be Cleveland and the Jets who keep drafting them high but can't get it right.  If we are picking 7th and the top two is off the board. If the next QB is projected to be a mid to late first round pick you don't just pick him.

So, what do you do?  Keep going from Rivers, to Wentz, to Ryan, to......

Hell, sign Tom Brady for a year.  Trade for Russell Wilson.  Nick Foles knows what it takes to win a SB.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree. but... we can get one of the top 2. I just don't know that we should. 

Just now, 5fouls said:

Hell, sign Tom Brady for a year.  Trade for Russell Wilson.  Nick Foles knows what it takes to win a SB.

We were dumb to trade Wentz... but I wouldn't mind seeing what it would take to get Davis Mills/acquire draft capital to have a top pick next year... and get one then. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We were dumb to trade Wentz... but I wouldn't mind seeing what it would take to get Davis Mills/acquire draft capital to have a top pick next year... and get one then. 

Bottom line is what they have been trying is not successful or sustainable.  On the flip side, you dont want to get stuck with a K. Cousins or D. Carr type situation for the next 5+ years.  

Your best shot is to find 'the guy' in the draft.  Don't be THAT team that passes on Patrick Mahomes #2 when he's sitting there in the 7-12 pick range.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Trade up to get your guy if you can. Just saying if we pick 9th and if Stroud, Young and Levis are gone there is no way I am picking Richardson at #9.  He looks to me to be a good candidate for a bust.

Edited by IU Scott

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Bottom line is what they have been trying is not successful or sustainable.  On the flip side, you dont want to get stuck with a K. Cousins or D. Carr type situation for the next 5+ years.  

Your best shot is to find 'the guy' in the draft.  Don't be THAT team that passes on Patrick Mahomes #2 when he's sitting there in the 7-12 pick range.

I would take D Carr for the next 4-5 years over any QB in this draft, I believe. What is wrong with K Cousins? 

20-9

33-7

35-13

26-6

30-10 

those are his TD to INT #s since being in Minny. 

We were only going that route because the rest of the roster was so good, and Ballard built it absurdly quick. I have had no issue with any of this, or many of the moves we've made. I agree that finding "the guy" in the draft is the best route. That still does not mean THAT option is in THIS draft.