2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Also not enough being said about the Devonta Smith catch toward the end of the 1st half. 

Very similar to the Bengals game where the refs make a weird stoppage to allow extra time for a review when the Eagles were already running a play. 

Probably cost us 4 points at the end of the half. Was a questionable overturn too considering it was called a catch on the field. 

• Like 2

Just now, 5fouls said:

Travis Kelce is a great tight-end, but my Lord, he is an obnoxious human being.

It iterates me so much when the team that is basically a favorite every season wins and then their players yell and scream about how nobody believed in them and everyone counted them out. 

So annoying. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It iterates me so much when the team that is basically a favorite every season wins and then their players yell and scream about how nobody believed in them and everyone counted them out. 

So annoying. 

Before I turned off the TV, one of the talking heads for FOX was comparing Mahomes performance tonight to the Michael Jordan flu game or some such non-sense. Huh? Football players play hurt all the time, especially this time of year. Just seemed weird to puffing it up to more than it needs to be. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Whether we thought the defensive holding penalty on the last drive should have been called or not, Eagles Defensive Back Jason Bradberry is owning up to it.  A lot of respect.  Most players wouldn't have done that.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35649481/eagles-cb-cops-holding-hoping-let-slide

He handled it great.

I don’t think the question is rather or not he gave a slight hold, he did. The question is did that slight tug warrant the first foul on a defensive back of the entire game, at that moment? I’m my mind it’s a very clear “hell no”.

We talk a lot about consistency in officiating and wanting them to call the game the same throughout, but they didn’t do that there. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He handled it great.

I don’t think the question is rather or not he gave a slight hold, he did. The question is did that slight tug warrant the first foul on a defensive back of the entire game, at that moment? I’m my mind it’s a very clear “hell no”.

We talk a lot about consistency in officiating and wanting them to call the game the same throughout, but they didn’t do that there. 

Exactly. That wasn't getting called all night, and there was no way the receiver was getting to that baller either. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rico said:

I realize that.  Geez.

Well the pass not being catchable isn't relevant, so it doesn't make sense why you said that. 

But honestly, it looks like a good call to me, He clearly grabs JuJu while he was trying to break away.. Eagles should have been flagged earlier in the game for it, as well, and got lucky. 

Only the Patriots can get away with DPI and defensive holdings late in games... the rest of the NFL should know that by now.  

• Like 1

Eagles even in defeat are really set for the long haul. They (like everyone else in the league) have to figure out the backfield and how they use that backfield. Additionally despite their ranking they need some serious upgrades in secondary. Otherwise no reason Eagles won't be back next year. 

On the AFC side of things. Mahomes lost Hill. No problem. They have 11 draft picks, plenty of cap space...no reason to think they won't be back next year as well. Bengals/Bills are much closer to Chiefs vs what I think the separation of 49ers/NFC to Eagles.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Eagles even in defeat are really set for the long haul. They (like everyone else in the league) have to figure out the backfield and how they use that backfield. Additionally despite their ranking they need some serious upgrades in secondary. Otherwise no reason Eagles won't be back next year. 

On the AFC side of things. Mahomes lost Hill. No problem. They have 11 draft picks, plenty of cap space...no reason to think they won't be back next year as well. Bengals/Bills are much closer to Chiefs vs what I think the separation of 49ers/NFC to Eagles.

Things can change in a hurry.  I remember watching a young Dan Marino in the SB with the Dolphins.  I thought Dan would be a fixture in it for years to come.

It will be interesting to see how the NFC pans out next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

Things can change in a hurry.  I remember watching a young Dan Marino in the SB with the Dolphins.  I thought Dan would be a fixture in it for years to come.

It will be interesting to see how the NFC pans out next year.

Biggest wild card is of course the QB position in San Francisco....because as of right now today they aren't close to Eagles. I'm also curious what Bucs do. Nobody doubts their skill guys. How quickly could they recover if say a Jimmy G went there? 

Of course Rodgers is in his isolation tent this week so we'll know by Saturday what's going on there.

• Like 1

One thing I LOVED about the game is the offensive creativity from both sides. The game has really evolved in that area, which is fun to see. Lots of inside counters and off-beat misdirections. The Kadarius Toney inside-out motion TD was brilliant.

Sports are entertainment, so hats off to Andy Reid & Eric Bienemy for making it fun and unpredictable.

12 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

One thing I LOVED about the game is the offensive creativity from both sides. The game has really evolved in that area, which is fun to see. Lots of inside counters and off-beat misdirections. The Kadarius Toney inside-out motion TD was brilliant.

Sports are entertainment, so hats off to Andy Reid & Eric Bienemy for making it fun and unpredictable.

Totally understand they would never do this, but Andy Reid was the MVP of that Super Bowl. 

Mahomes is phenomenal and I get he was playing on an injured ankle, but he wasn't that great yesterday. 

Reid's play designs in the 2nd half are what won them that game. Oh, and a crap call at the end 🤣.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Totally understand they would never do this, but Andy Reid was the MVP of that Super Bowl. 

Mahomes is phenomenal and I get he was playing on an injured ankle, but he wasn't that great yesterday. 

Reid's play designs in the 2nd half are what won them that game. Oh, and a crap call at the end 🤣.

Did Reid draw up Butker's buttkiss off the upright?

44 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Regarding the call.  Officials are damned if they do (Super Bowl) and damned if they dont (Duke/Virginia).

It was a hold, and I heard the point made on the radio on my way to work this morning.  "You cant have situational interpretation of the rules."

Do I think the Chiefs got the good side of some calls the last two games?  Absolutely.  Does that fact mean that wasn't really defensive holding?  No, because it was. 

The point is the calls earlier in the game should have been different, not to mention several calls last week.  But, this one was legit, albeit with very unfortunate timing.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Well the pass not being catchable isn't relevant, so it doesn't make sense why you said that. 

But honestly, it looks like a good call to me, He clearly grabs JuJu while he was trying to break away.. Eagles should have been flagged earlier in the game for it, as well, and got lucky. 

Only the Patriots can get away with DPI and defensive holdings late in games... the rest of the NFL should know that by now.  

But they didn't call it earlier in the game, on either team. We all know there were plenty of instances throughout a game where refs swallow their whistle on DPI, defensive holding, illegal contact, etc. If we want refs to call it the same for 60 minutes, then they shouldn't have called that. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Regarding the call.  Officials are damned if they do (Super Bowl) and damned if they dont (Duke/Virginia).

It was a hold, and I heard the point made on the radio on my way to work this morning.  "You cant have situational interpretation of the rules."

Do I think the Chiefs got the good side of some calls the last two games?  Absolutely.  Does that fact mean that wasn't really defensive holding?  No, because it was. 

The point is the calls earlier in the game should have been different, not to mention several calls last week.  But, this one was legit, albeit with very unfortunate timing.

I disagree, a whole lot, with your first sentence. 

In the Super Bowl, they made a call that hadn't been made all game. They changed how they were calling the game on a subjective call with 1:45 to go in the game. 

Your Duke/UVA example... they called a foul. Doesn't matter if the foul call was right or wrong, it was called. The only thing reviewable at that point was if it happened before the game ended, and it very, very clearly did.

The referees in both those instances effectively ended the game with their incompetence. They changed how the game was called in both of those instances because of the situation - that's exactly what they shouldn't do. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1