2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Just now, KoB2011 said:

But they didn't call it earlier in the game, on either team. We all know there were plenty of instances throughout a game where refs swallow their whistle on DPI, defensive holding, illegal contact, etc. If we want refs to call it the same for 60 minutes, then they shouldn't have called that. 

I don't really care for officiating that way. If it's a penalty, it's a penalty, that was a penalty.  

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm incredibly confused. You don't want officials to be consistent, is that what you're saying? 

Why? 

I just prefer them to call penalties, when there are penalties. That was a penalty. 

On 3rd down earlier in the game, they missed the call... JuJu was held and that should have been a first down. So what? Two wrong calls don't make it right. Sometimes you get caught on defense. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Why? 

I don't know why, it's very weird to me you don't want referees to be consistent. Football (and basketball for that matter) are contact sports, there's a lot of subjective calls. I want them to be consistent throughout a game with what is being called and what isn't being called.

I just prefer them to call penalties, when there are penalties. That was a penalty. 

We'd have an awful lot of flags if they called every penalty. There is subjectivity, we all recognize this. I don't believe you actually want them to start throwing a flag for everything that is a penalty by the letter of the law. 

On 3rd down earlier in the game, they missed the call... JuJu was held and that should have been a first down. So what? Sometimes you get caught on defense. 

Yeah, and probably several other calls against both teams in the defensive backfield that didn't get called. The fact that they hadn't called any of those is why it's a problem. The letter of the law on illegal contact is any contact from a defender more than 5 yards down field - I bet almost every single pass play contained that yet you're okay with the referees not calling those. 

Greg Olsen was a very high level pass catcher in the NFL for a long time, and he didn't seem to think that was a penalty. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't know why, it's very weird to me you don't want referees to be consistent. Football (and basketball for that matter) are contact sports, there's a lot of subjective calls. I want them to be consistent throughout a game with what is being called and what isn't being called.

We'd have an awful lot of flags if they called every penalty. There is subjectivity, we all recognize this. I don't believe you actually want them to start throwing a flag for everything that is a penalty by the letter of the law. 

Yeah, and probably several other calls against both teams in the defensive backfield that didn't get called. The fact that they hadn't called any of those is why it's a problem. The letter of the law on illegal contact is any contact from a defender more than 5 yards down field - I bet almost every single pass play contained that yet you're okay with the referees not calling those. 

Greg Olsen was a very high level pass catcher in the NFL for a long time, and he didn't seem to think that was a penalty. 

Well the guy who committed the penalty .... said it was a penalty.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Well the guy who committed the penalty .... said it was a penalty.... 

That's a bit of an oversimplification of the context there, but okay. He said he held him, not that he committed a penalty.

That would be like a guy touching a guy 30 yards downfield saying "well I touched him" if he got called for a bad illegal contact. 

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That's a bit of an oversimplification of the context there, but okay. He said he held him, not that he committed a penalty.

That would be like a guy touching a guy 30 yards downfield saying "well I touched him" if he got called for a bad illegal contact. 

I can't really understand what the complaint is here. If he holds him, it's a penalty. 

But, if you didn't think it was a penalty, that's fine. Worrying about the alleged inconsistencies is a waste of time though. Shit happens too quick in the defensive backfield for the officiating to worry about that... call what you see and move on. It wasn't an egregiously bad call. 

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I can't really understand what the complaint is here. If he holds him, it's a penalty. 

But, if you didn't think it was a penalty, that's fine. Worrying about the alleged inconsistencies is a waste of time though. Shit happens too quick in the defensive backfield for the officiating to worry about that... call what you see and move on. It wasn't an egregiously bad call. 

Yeah, you're correct by the letter of the law.

It's a foul literally every time someone touches an offensive player beyond 5 yards, holding or not. None of us want that called - we expect referees to use their judgement and to be consistent in how that judgement is used. There is no way you honestly want the game called that way. 

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

"I was hoping he would let it go, but of course he's a ref, it was a big game," Bradberry said after the Eagles' 38-35 loss. "It was a hold, so they called it."

Those were Bradberry's words. 

Right, still missing the context of the fact that player involved was classy and took accountability. No one is arguing that by the letter of the law it's a hold, we all get that. 

The problem is the game hadn't been enforced that way. If you were in a line of cars going 10 over, and they only chose to pull you over and let all the other instances of going 10 over go, you'd probably be a tad unhappy with the discretion used there. 

20 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, you're correct by the letter of the law.

It's a foul literally every time someone touches an offensive player beyond 5 yards, holding or not. None of us want that called - we expect referees to use their judgement and to be consistent in how that judgement is used. There is no way you honestly want the game called that way. 

Right, still missing the context of the fact that player involved was classy and took accountability. No one is arguing that by the letter of the law it's a hold, we all get that. 

The problem is the game hadn't been enforced that way. If you were in a line of cars going 10 over, and they only chose to pull you over and let all the other instances of going 10 over go, you'd probably be a tad unhappy with the discretion used there. 

The bold is a false narrative. They missed a call, but that doesn't mean they should miss more calls. 

It wasn't past five yards, it was defensive holding which you can never do no matter where you are on the field.  

If Bradberry doesn't hold, I think it's 6 for KC. They were schemed and JB was beat. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The bold is a false narrative. They missed a call, but that doesn't mean they should miss more calls. 

It wasn't past five yards, it was defensive holding which you can never do no matter where you are on the field.  

If Bradberry doesn't hold, I think it's 6 for KC. They were schemed and JB was beat. 

It's not a false narrative. Can you point to any other call against a DB the entire game? I'm not talking about one play, I'm talking about the entire game.

You surely don't believe the only two pass plays that something happened that would have been a foul by letter of the law is the holding and the JuJu play do you? 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

It's not a false narrative. Can you point to any other call against a DB the entire game? I'm not talking about one play, I'm talking about the entire game.

You surely don't believe the only two pass plays that something happened that would have been a foul by letter of the law is the holding and the JuJu play do you? 

I have no issue with that penalty being one of the few they called all game, of that variety. 

I think that says it simply enough. 

Not that I'm hand-waving bad officiating because trust me I get as frustrated as anyone about calls in just about every sport I watch at any level, but on the field in real-time with the speed of the game it has to be pretty challenging to catch everything all of the time.

I think back to the only time in my life I had to be an official. It was a spring women's volleyball tournament at IU in the late 90's. I was a line judge and a ball hit near the line literally at my feet. It was a super close call, it happened fast. I had no help, it was my call. I basically just guessed and called it in bounds because it was super close. Man, I got the business from the players & coaches on the team on the wrong side of that call. At that point I decided my career definitely was not in officiating of any kind LOL.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

Not that I'm hand-waving bad officiating because trust me I get as frustrated as anyone about calls in just about every sport I watch at any level, but on the field in real-time with the speed of the game it has to be pretty challenging to catch everything all of the time.

I think back to the only time in my life I had to be an official. It was a spring women's volleyball tournament at IU in the late 90's. I was a line judge and a ball hit near the line literally at my feet. It was a super close call, it happened fast. I had no help, it was my call. I basically just guessed and called it in bounds because it was super close. Man, I got the business from the players & coaches on the team on the wrong side of that call. At that point I decided my career definitely was not in officiating of any kind LOL.

Had the same happen to me judging long jump at a track meet.  Was it a scratch or not?  The end of the toe was that close.  Opposing coach went nuts.  What often seems so simple isn’t because of how fast things happen.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Well, it's going to be hard to run the Eagles offense with the current group of QBs.  Hope Indy fans are patient with him.

I don’t think he’s limited to just what the eagles ran. It depends on what type of quarterback he has. Which is none right now, but he was also the OC for Justin Herbert his rookie year when he threw the ball all over the place. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Well, it's going to be hard to run the Eagles offense with the current group of QBs.  Hope Indy fans are patient with him.

So it's basically going to be a bidding war between Texans and Colts IF and only IF they think Bryce Young is so much better than Stroud. I can't imagine Steichen taking the gig unless the assurances were there they'll get their QB.

Don't sleep on Carolina. Have no clue what they could offer but won't be surprised if they decide to jump into things either. Problem there though is Bears want picks but also want Carter or Anderson they can't go further back than 4th.