2023 NFL Discussion

rico

9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

So it's basically going to be a bidding war between Texans and Colts IF and only IF they think Bryce Young is so much better than Stroud. I can't imagine Steichen taking the gig unless the assurances were there they'll get their QB.

Don't sleep on Carolina. Have no clue what they could offer but won't be surprised if they decide to jump into things either. Problem there though is Bears want picks but also want Carter or Anderson they can't go further back than 4th. 

And everyone knows they want Carter or Anderson.

It is honestly laughable what a lot of Bears fans seem to be so sure is going to happen. The Bears can either get a haul or get their generational defender, not both. As much as the Bears know teams need QBs, teams also have leverage knowing what the Bears need.

The question is are the Bears more willing to miss out on elite talent at a position of desperate need for them more than (insert team) is willing to miss out on a QB that is less of an elite talent?

10 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Lou Anarumo stays with the Bengals as DC as Cardinals hire Gannon from Philly as new HC.

AZ. is a dumpster fire. You have a cry baby QB who needs help so you hire a Defensive coach who couldnt make changes with the best defense to stop a team in the biggest game of the year. Great hire.

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

AZ. is a dumpster fire. You have a cry baby QB who needs help so you hire a Defensive coach who couldnt make changes with the best defense to stop a team in the biggest game of the year. Great hire.

What if.... 

There was actually no adjustment to be made? I mean, if you don't have anyone to matchup with Kelce, that is pretty difficult to hide from and they got relatively no pressure. 

In my world, good offense beats good defense. IMO, that is true in the NFL, as well. 

I agree about Kyler. And I didn't have that opinion, necessarily, before the season. 

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

And everyone knows they want Carter or Anderson.

It is honestly laughable what a lot of Bears fans seem to be so sure is going to happen. The Bears can either get a haul or get their generational defender, not both. As much as the Bears know teams need QBs, teams also have leverage knowing what the Bears need.

The question is are the Bears more willing to miss out on elite talent at a position of desperate need for them more than (insert team) is willing to miss out on a QB that is less of an elite talent?

Given that the QB position is the single most important position in all of sports I'd say the answer is easy. 

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Given that the QB position is the single most important position in all of sports I'd say the answer is easy. 

Yeah, Bears fans definitely seem to think they can have their cake and eat it too, so I’m sure you do think that.

There are plenty of examples of drafts with these caliber QBs and teams not trading up for them. Add in the elite defenders, which if the Bears are smart means it would cost more to move up, and I think it’s far from a given the Bears trade the first pick. 

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, Bears fans definitely seem to think they can have their cake and eat it too, so I’m sure you do think that.

There are plenty of examples of drafts with these caliber QBs and teams not trading up for them. Add in the elite defenders, which if the Bears are smart means it would cost more to move up, and I think it’s far from a given the Bears trade the first pick. 

Time will tell. Even when people don't think a team is crazy or desperate enough to move up they always do. This year will be no different but I expect to involve player or players from a team instead of just picks. I'll say what I said when Bears got #1 pick secured. Colts move up in addition to trading Buckner to Bears for 1st pick. See no reason to change my prediction now.

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Time will tell. Even when people don't think a team is crazy or desperate enough to move up they always do. This year will be no different but I expect to involve player or players from a team instead of just picks. I'll say what I said when Bears got #1 pick secured. Colts move up in addition to trading Buckner to Bears for 1st pick. See no reason to change my prediction now.

I definitely see why the Bears would do that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

What if.... 

There was actually no adjustment to be made? I mean, if you don't have anyone to matchup with Kelce, that is pretty difficult to hide from and they got relatively no pressure. 

In my world, good offense beats good defense. IMO, that is true in the NFL, as well. 

I agree about Kyler. And I didn't have that opinion, necessarily, before the season. 

And actually they did adjust. Kelce torched the Eagles in the 1st quarter and then didn't do much the rest of the game. He only had 21 yards after the 1st. 

That left other guys open though and a play caller like Reid and QB like Mahomes are too good. You can't take everything away. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

And actually they did adjust. Kelce torched the Eagles in the 1st quarter and then didn't do much the rest of the game. He only had 21 yards after the 1st. 

That left other guys open though and a play caller like Reid and QB like Mahomes are too good. You can't take everything away. 

Did they adjust... or did they just execute better on Kelce? I honestly don't know. Haven't watched the game in  replay. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Did they adjust... or did they just execute better on Kelce? I honestly don't know. Haven't watched the game in  replay. 

Typically I'm with you on the adjust/execute thing. I think fans way overrate "adjustments" and have heard NFL players say as much. I think it was Rob Ninkovich I heard speak on this a few weeks ago and he was saying how halftime adjustments are way overrated by fans and media. 

In this case though I would think there was some type of change because Kelce was catching balls in the first quarter with nobody within 5-10 yards of him and was torching one of the Eagles LB's. 

I dont know specifically, but I'd guess in this instance they made some type of change to how they were defending him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

McShay in his mock has the Bears trading #1 to the Colts for picks 4 and 35 this year and next year's 1st round pick.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Typically I'm with you on the adjust/execute thing. I think fans way overrate "adjustments" and have heard NFL players say as much. I think it was Rob Ninkovich I heard speak on this a few weeks ago and he was saying how halftime adjustments are way overrated by fans and media. 

In this case though I would think they're some type of change because Kelce was catching balls in the first quarter with nobody within 5-10 yards of him and was torching one of the Eagles LB's. 

I dont know specifically, but I'd guess in this instance they made some type of change to how they were defending him. 

Probably so. 

I will also mention.. the Eagles, through a good portion of that game... had the EXACT recipe to beat KC. Keep Kelce and Mahomes off the field. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

New York trades the rights to Philip Rivers (the fourth pick), the first pick in the third round (Nate Kaeding), a 2005 first round pick (Shawne Merriman) and a 2005 fifth round pick (Jerome Collins) to San Diego for the rights to Manning

This is what the Chargers got for Eli Manning trade

So.... swap picks, 3rd rd, 1st rd, and 5th rd..... if asked to give that up for B Young or any other QB in this draft.... I'd laugh in their face. We'd look like what the Jets did to get Darnold. 

I don't even think that it's close. 

• Like 1