2023 NFL Discussion

rico

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Allen/Mahomes weren’t the best in college…they were passed on…but they landed in the right situations…that is the most important thing. Talent is there for the other guys too…just takes the right people to unlock it. If we hired the right coach..we will be just fine.

You also see a lot of teams who reach for QB's early and see a lot of busts. See the Jets and Browns. Also if we pick a QB this year there is about no way we would draft another one next year. I think the only reason the Cardinals did was that Kingsberry coached Murray in college.

Edited by IU Scott

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

You also see a lot of teams who reach for QB's early and see a lot of busts. See the Jets and Browns 

It’s worse to land a serviceable qb then a bad one. Being mediocre with someone like Carr for 10 years is worse then missing and having another bite at the apple in 3-4 years.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It’s worse to land a serviceable qb then a bad one. Being mediocre with someone like Carr for 10 years is worse then missing and having another bite at the apple in 3-4 years.

Some what agree but if you totally whiff on a QB early in the first it sets you back. That is why you keep seeing a lot of the same teams drafting QB's high the draft every few years.

Wouldn't you rather been SF with Gerafalo going to the Super Bowl than say the Jets. Garafalo is a serviceable QB who won

Edited by IU Scott

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Some what agree but if you totally whiff on a QB early in the first it sets you back. That is why you keep seeing a lot of the same teams drafting QB's high the draft every few years.

Wouldn't you rather been SF with Gerafalo going to the Super Bowl than say the Jets. Garafalo is a serviceable QB who won

That team was loaded when he arrived. He wasn’t drafted by them. If you want to get to that point then you need to draft well and have picks. If SF had traded all their picks that ended up being Bosa etc do you think Garapolo is taking them to the SB. I just don’t want to mortgage a bunch of picks. Problems are compounded when you use all your picks and you get it wrong. The Jets got it wrong with Wilson but they aren’t a sinking ship because they didn’t trade up to get him and drafted well. They still don’t have a qb but they can still land one. I’m not comfortable putting all my eggs into any of these kids baskets. No matter who it is they need a lot of help around them. I also don’t think the difference is that great. All very talented in their own way. I’d be happy with Richardson just as much as Young or Stroud.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That team was loaded when he arrived. He wasn’t drafted by them. If you want to get to that point then you need to draft well and have picks. If SF had traded all their picks that ended up being Bosa etc do you think Garapolo is taking them to the SB. I just don’t want to mortgage a bunch of picks. Problems are compounded when you use all your picks and you get it wrong. The Jets got it wrong with Wilson but they aren’t a sinking ship because they didn’t trade up to get him and drafted well. They still don’t have a qb but they can still land one. I’m not comfortable putting all my eggs into any of these kids baskets. No matter who it is they need a lot of help around them. I also don’t think the difference is that great. All very talented in their own way. I’d be happy with Richardson just as much as Young or Stroud.

Well I listen to a lot of sports radio through the week since I am in my car all day. A lot of experts would disagree with you on the difference between the top two and three and four. I guess I will just disagree with you on Richardson because I wouldn't pick him at 15 let alone 4

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well I listen to a lot of sports radio through the week since I am in my car all day. A lot of experts would disagree with you on the difference between the top two and three and four. I guess I will just disagree with you on Richardson because I wouldn't pick him at 15 let alone 4

Hey I get it..but I put about as much stock into talking heads on the radio as you put on my opinions. They are wrong more than they are right…even worse at predicting this stuff than the actual scouting staffs. The right team with the right staff will do just fine with Richardson…if he lands in a bad spot…well we know what the story will be. Shane is a great qb coach and has a great offensive mind. I think this is the right situation for any of them to land.

On 3/4/2023 at 9:11 PM, dgambill said:

Hey I get it..but I put about as much stock into talking heads on the radio as you put on my opinions. They are wrong more than they are right…even worse at predicting this stuff than the actual scouting staffs. The right team with the right staff will do just fine with Richardson…if he lands in a bad spot…well we know what the story will be. Shane is a great qb coach and has a great offensive mind. I think this is the right situation for any of them to land.

Hooooieee, that’s rich. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Hooooieee, that’s rich. 

Here's my thought. For the #1 pick to have huge value conventional wisdom says there has to be a clear cut #1. This year that's not the case....and now with combine results you might have teams say I'm happy with this guy or this guy or this guy and I'm not giving #1's for 1 or 2 spots. That's what should happen.

Fast forward to end of April. Some team will give up those picks because they always do. If a team really sees Bryce as the guy over CJ or Levis or even AR,etc....they will move up.

Of course Poles is no dummy. He'll float things like this once a week until draft night to make teams keep upping their offers. Delicate game of poker that just happens to last another 50 days.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's my thought. For the #1 pick to have huge value conventional wisdom says there has to be a clear cut #1. This year that's not the case....and now with combine results you might have teams say I'm happy with this guy or this guy or this guy and I'm not giving #1's for 1 or 2 spots. That's what should happen.

Fast forward to end of April. Some team will give up those picks because they always do. If a team really sees Bryce as the guy over CJ or Levis or even AR,etc....they will move up.

Of course Poles is no dummy. He'll float things like this once a week until draft night to make teams keep upping their offers. Delicate game of poker that just happens to last another 50 days.

Another dynamic is a GM who is trying to save their job.

Why would he care about a 2025 draft pick if he gets fired at the end of the 2023 season ? 

• Like 2

Just now, Boiler Sam said:

Another dynamic is a GM who is trying to save their job.

Why would he care about a 2025 draft pick if he gets fired at the end of the 2023 season ? 

With Derek Carr going to Saints. Let's say Jets don't get Rodgers? You can now add one more team to the we need a QB now group which would be Jets. Tons of crazy coming and tons of crazy talk. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

With Derek Carr going to Saints. Let's say Jets don't get Rodgers? You can now add one more team to the we need a QB now group which would be Jets. Tons of crazy coming and tons of crazy talk. 

And not all 1s are the same. I would definitely want at least two future 1s from a good team wanting to trade up, since those likely won’t be high picks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

Hooooieee, that’s rich. 

If Chicago thinks they can get three first round picks then they might end up having to keep their pick and draft at #1. I can see it if a team moved up like KC did to move up like 17 spots for Mahomes but not to move up a couple of spots.

33 minutes ago, Indykev said:

There isn't a QB in this draft worth 3 first rounders.

You know there will always be on outlier if a team that will give that much up.  I think that Ballard won't do anything and wait until 4 and the top 2 QB's will be gone and if this happens I hope he doesn't over reach and pick either Richardson and Levis. If they get to that situation then trade down and get some more picks or pick the BPA at 4

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

You know there will always be on outlier if a team that will give that much up.  I think that Ballard won't do anything and wait until 4 and the top 2 QB's will be gone and if this happens I hope he doesn't over reach and pick either Richardson and Levis. If they get to that situation then trade down and get some more picks or pick the BPA at 4

I am cool with Richardson or Levis as the Colts pick.  Not because I really want them in Indy.  But just to hear you complain about it!  LOL

*-Sorry dude, I couldn't help myself.

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Colts interested in Jordan Love?

11 minutes ago, rico said:

I am cool with Richardson or Levis as the Colts pick.  Not because I really want them in Indy.  But just to hear you complain about it!  LOL

*-Sorry dude, I couldn't help myself.

If they pick either there is not much I can do about it but to root for them 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Colts interested in Jordan Love?

I love the Colts. 2nd to my Bears. If I'm a team in the AFC I move everything in the world to try and get the QB they need. Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert.....on and on for the next 8 years. If you don't get a QB in the AFC. Good luck with Wild Card Weekend.

20 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Again, if you get canned after this season, who cares about future picks? That’s the next GMs problem…

I doubt a GM goes into it thinking he is going to get fired especially when they just drafted a QB. Ballard will get at least 2-3 years to turn this around.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I doubt a GM goes into it thinking he is going to get fired especially when they just drafted a QB. Ballard will get at least 2-3 years to turn this around.

The team is likely going to be pretty bad regardless if the qb is good or not. Rookie qbs just aren’t leading teams to the playoffs too often…at least not a team that only won 3-4 games the year before. Agree Ballard will have a couple of years minimum….your much more likely to get fired if you get the qb wrong and your cupboard is bare with no picks then if you are still nailing the rest of the team. Jets gm isn’t on hot seat after missing on Wilson after all the good work he has done elsewhere. It will be much worse if we mortgage our future and miss on the qb.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Seahawks sing QB Geno Smith to 3/105mil. Probably take them out if moving up for a QB

Maybe…I think they are looking to take Richardson who needs a couple years…Smith be a mentor and bridge…so depends on if they want to move up to 3 to get him.

• Like 1