2023 NFL Discussion

rico

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

The team is likely going to be pretty bad regardless if the qb is good or not. Rookie qbs just aren’t leading teams to the playoffs too often…at least not a team that only won 3-4 games the year before. Agree Ballard will have a couple of years minimum….your much more likely to get fired if you get the qb wrong and your cupboard is bare with no picks then if you are still nailing the rest of the team. Jets gm isn’t on hot seat after missing on Wilson after all the good work he has done elsewhere. It will be much worse if we mortgage our future and miss on the qb.

I’ll put it this way: if you think there is one can’t-miss QB, you would give up 3 first rounders to get that guy, if you have to.

If you hit, you have a job. If you miss, you’re fired. 

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If Chicago thinks they can get three first round picks then they might end up having to keep their pick and draft at #1. I can see it if a team moved up like KC did to move up like 17 spots for Mahomes but not to move up a couple of spots.

I still say if the Bears like any of these QBs better than Fields, they would be fools not to take him. 

9 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

I still say if the Bears like any of these QBs better than Fields, they would be fools not to take him. 

If I am the Bears I make sure I get a #1 pick included for next year if they trade their current #1 pick.  If Fields turns out not to be the QB they hoped he would be in this upcoming season then they could get a QB in next years draft.

• Like 1

Rodgers had conversations with a prospective trade partner in the New York Jets this week, per former ESPN host Trey Wingo, and that report was confirmed by The Athletic. Both noted that nothing is imminent at this juncture, but Rodgers is exploring his options.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aaron-rodgers-in-talks-with-new-york-jets-qb-exploring-options-as-decision-looms-per-report/

On 3/6/2023 at 10:07 AM, Seeking6 said:

Here's my thought. For the #1 pick to have huge value conventional wisdom says there has to be a clear cut #1. This year that's not the case....and now with combine results you might have teams say I'm happy with this guy or this guy or this guy and I'm not giving #1's for 1 or 2 spots. That's what should happen.

Fast forward to end of April. Some team will give up those picks because they always do. If a team really sees Bryce as the guy over CJ or Levis or even AR,etc....they will move up.

Of course Poles is no dummy. He'll float things like this once a week until draft night to make teams keep upping their offers. Delicate game of poker that just happens to last another 50 days.

Poles is the guy who gave up what was basically a first round pick for Chase Claypool, correct? 

17 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

I’ll put it this way: if you think there is one can’t-miss QB, you would give up 3 first rounders to get that guy, if you have to.

If you hit, you have a job. If you miss, you’re fired. 

Sure, if you're that convinced one of these four is better than the others maybe you do. I don't think you give up a bunch of assets for anything short of being 100% convinced of who is best, though.

You think anyone is actually that convinced of which of these four is the beset QB? I don't really see that....

And I've been asked and conveniently ignored a few times, but if one of these QBs is that good then wouldn't the Bears take that guy? The Bears own evaluation is that they think Justin Fields with two years left of cheap team control is as good as any of these guys, but they want to sell some team on the fact that they should give up a bunch of assets for the guy that they don't want because they have.... Justin Fields? 

Lamar Jackson got the non-exclusive franchise tag, which makes me laugh my butt off at the Bears.

So I can give up two first round picks for Lamar, or three first round picks for a guy who has never played a down in the NFL?

Bears trade market is about as hot as their win percentage the past 37 years. 

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Poles is the guy who gave up what was basically a first round pick for Chase Claypool, correct? 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Sure, if you're that convinced one of these four is better than the others maybe you do. I don't think you give up a bunch of assets for anything short of being 100% convinced of who is best, though.

You think anyone is actually that convinced of which of these four is the beset QB? I don't really see that....

And I've been asked and conveniently ignored a few times, but if one of these QBs is that good then wouldn't the Bears take that guy? The Bears own evaluation is that they think Justin Fields with two years left of cheap team control is as good as any of these guys, but they want to sell some team on the fact that they should give up a bunch of assets for the guy that they don't want because they have.... Justin Fields? 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Lamar Jackson got the non-exclusive franchise tag, which makes me laugh my butt off at the Bears.

So I can give up two first round picks for Lamar, or three first round picks for a guy who has never played a down in the NFL?

You've been  ignored honestly because somehow it doesn't make sense to you that IF Fields is 90% of what any of these QB's is worth (if you think that) ....you take that 90% and add more players around him in the form of picks/trades/future picks.  Not real hard...which is why some don't choose to have this conversation. Your bias or maybe hatred for the Bears is blinding your judgement. 

Look. We know. You don't like the Bears. No big deal.....but to suggest the Bears or anyone for that matter won't jump to get the QB they want is foolish. It's happened every single year in the history of the draft. This year will be no different. 

PS on the subject of RP....Poles turned 6 picks into 11 last year while freeing up $100M+ of cap space. The 2 we traded for Claypool may or may not work out but the 2 we received back from Eagles (Roquan Smith trade) gave us the luxury of taking a chance. Time will tell.

Good luck finding a QB for your team. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

You've been  ignored honestly because somehow it doesn't make sense to you that IF Fields is 90% of what any of these QB's is worth (if you think that) ....you take that 90% and add more players around him in the form of picks/trades/future picks.  Not real hard...which is why some don't choose to have this conversation. Your bias or maybe hatred for the Bears is blinding your judgement. 

Look. We know. You don't like the Bears. No big deal.....but to suggest the Bears or anyone for that matter won't jump to get the QB they want is foolish. It's happened every single year in the history of the draft. This year will be no different. 

PS on the subject of RP....Poles turned 6 picks into 11 last year while freeing up $100M+ of cap space. The 2 we traded for Claypool may or may not work out but the 2 we received back from Eagles (Roquan Smith trade) gave us the luxury of taking a chance. Time will tell.

Good luck finding a QB for your team. 

So an NFL team should give up assets to move up for a QB that might be better as a prospect than another prospect, but the Bears shouldn't take a QB that may be 10% better than Fields because they want the same assets another team should give up. Did I get that right?

I don't know what will happen, but I do know that as recently as last year we saw teams not move up for QBs.

So it as fine for Poles to use a pick in the early 30s for a WR because he had so many assets, but now he needs to acquire more assets instead of upgrading at either the most important position on the field or the most important position on defense (take Anderson #1). Again, did I get that right?

Those seem like very reasonable questions that need to be answered and nothing to do with how I feel about the Bears. Your reluctance to answer them may have something to do with how you feel about the Bears and what you want with the pick....

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So an NFL team should give up assets to move up for a QB that might be better as a prospect than another prospect, but the Bears shouldn't take a QB that may be 10% better than Fields because they want the same assets another team should give up. Did I get that right?

I don't know what will happen, but I do know that as recently as last year we saw teams not move up for QBs.

So it as fine for Poles to use a pick in the early 30s for a WR because he had so many assets, but now he needs to acquire more assets instead of upgrading at either the most important position on the field or the most important position on defense (take Anderson #1). Again, did I get that right?

Those seem like very reasonable questions that need to be answered and nothing to do with how I feel about the Bears. Your reluctance to answer them may have something to do with how you feel about the Bears and what you want with the pick....

I've answered the same way since January. Someone will move up to get the first pick. Some GM's have their franchises fans hoodwinked over the idea of not paying over market to get a QB....but that's also part of a narrative to try and lower the value of the 1st pick in the court of public opinion. Some fans buy that some don't.

We can check back in on 4/27 but someone will pay for that 1st pick. Again...good luck finding your QB. Always have cheered for the Colts but their reluctance to go get their guy is the reason they've won only 1 playoff game in what 7-8 years? 

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

It doesn’t have much to do with Fields… it’s more the Bears selling the Colts on getting the top guy, so Houston doesn’t. Or selling Houston on moving up to get their guy so the Colts don’t get him. 

But I agree, if you think one of these guys is hands down better than Fields, you take him. 

Obviously, if the Colts think there are 4 equally talented QB prospects, then they can sit tight. 

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Dude. The gigantic difference is you get 5 cheap years from one of the 2023 QBs, versus the right to give Lamar $250 million guaranteed with another guarantee that he’s gonna get injured a bunch more in the next 5 years. 

57 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Dude. The gigantic difference is you get 5 cheap years from one of the 2023 QBs, versus the right to give Lamar $250 million guaranteed with another guarantee that he’s gonna get injured a bunch more in the next 5 years. 

Yeah, I get the financial difference. You also get an MVP versus an unknown.

I don’t want Lamar on the Colts, but in terms of teams willing to move in front of us if impacts the market. 

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, I get the financial difference. You also get an MVP versus an unknown.

I don’t want Lamar on the Colts, but in terms of teams willing to move in front of us if impacts the market. 

You get a guy who WAS an MVP back in 2019, before his body started breaking down, and who has a 1-3 career playoff record. Would much rather have 5 cheap years of Young or Stroud. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

The Lamar stuff is hilarious and he's a fool.  

All started with Cleveland. 

One rule I didn't know about is this. NFL teams are now required to put all guaranteed $ in escrow. I know these owners are all billionaires but some may not have the $200M in cash today.

Now I could be wrong on this but if compensation for Lamar is 2 first round picks what is holding back a team who is in the top 10 or so from contacting one of the late teams like KC or Bills or whoever to see what their willing to give up and switch spots? Those late firsts aren't as valuable....of course that's if there is a team who really, really likes Lamar.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

One rule I didn't know about is this. NFL teams are now required to put all guaranteed $ in escrow. I know these owners are all billionaires but some may not have the $200M in cash today.

Now I could be wrong on this but if compensation for Lamar is 2 first round picks what is holding back a team who is in the top 10 or so from contacting one of the late teams like KC or Bills or whoever to see what their willing to give up and switch spots? Those late firsts aren't as valuable....of course that's if there is a team who really, really likes Lamar.

representing yourself seems really dumb, imo

I wouldn't trade 2 1st for Lamar and that is before the contract you'd have to give him. I'm sorry, I don't hold his ability in high regard. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I wouldn't trade 2 1st for Lamar and that is before the contract you'd have to give him. I'm sorry, I don't hold his ability in high regard. 

Never been a big Lamar guy myself but I also know the Ravens haven't necessarily given him P1 talent on the outside. 

Lamar possibly just played a very poor hand of poker with the wrong organization and I can almost guarantee they said we'll just tag you,etc...

Now I don't think Daniel Jones is worth $150M but he gave a little and Giants gave a little to get that deal done. Something Lamar should have done.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Update on this. Apparently there are rules specifically prohibiting this type of move where at least one of the picks has to be higher than what the trading team was originally slotted I guess. Should have known it couldn't be that easy.

33 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah 3% is a small price to pay when you are talking 9 figures… I don’t get it. 

I would have liked to have years 1-5 of Lamar… I don’t want years 6-10…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

My understanding if the Ravens are allowed to accept less than the two firsts. So if a team in the top 10 wanted Lamar it may just cost them that one pick and a third or something along those lines as opposed to two firsts.

That said, I'm guessing the Ravens are perfectly fine to keep Lamar at what is now a discounted rate with the non-exclusive tag. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

My understanding if the Ravens are allowed to accept less than the two firsts. So if a team in the top 10 wanted Lamar it may just cost them that one pick and a third or something along those lines as opposed to two firsts.

That said, I'm guessing the Ravens are perfectly fine to keep Lamar at what is now a discounted rate with the non-exclusive tag. 

And I would bet you a hundred bucks that the non exclusive tag becomes a sticking point in the next CBA.

• Like 1