2023 NFL Discussion

rico

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think people are just assuming Justin Fields is going to make the same leap this year that Jalen Hurts made last year. 

The difference is that Hurts is an animal in terms of work ethic and he also played on arguably (not sure there's much to argue against though) the best roster in football. 

I see the Bears improved, but not a massive Super Bowl contending leap. 

Fields better make some sort of leap this year.  The days of being patient with a young QB are over.

signed,

Mitch Trubisky

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think people are just assuming Justin Fields is going to make the same leap this year that Jalen Hurts made last year. 

The difference is that Hurts is an animal in terms of work ethic and he also played on arguably (not sure there's much to argue against though) the best roster in football. 

I see the Bears improved, but not a massive Super Bowl contending leap. 

Being a Bear lifer there is nobody who has been a Bears fan in 4 decades that ever feels good about the QB situation. It's part of our DNA. Always questions at the QB.

Factoring in camp reports though I will say with the addition of DJ Moore and a healthy Mooney we finally have a WR room that is above average. Will he make the same leap that Allen made with Diggs? Or Hurts with AJ Brown? Unlikely but since it's August we can hope. Haha.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

First chance to see what all the hype about Richardson was about. Fingers crossed he’s a quarterback who happens to be an elite athlete not an athlete who is a mediocre quarterback 

Either way they’ll be more interesting with him at QB instead of Captain Leadfoot NoodleArm.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Fields 3-3 for 129 and 2 TD's. Playmakers in space make things so much easier. One for Moore and the other was setup by Fields extending the play and he dumped to Herbert for another long one. Good start and probably done for the day.

1st team offense looked good. Not so sure about defense. DJ Moore is the real deal and so glad he is with the Bears.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

1st team offense looked good. Not so sure about defense. DJ Moore is the real deal and so glad he is with the Bears.

I'm really hoping he is. So far he looks great and honestly was surprised at his speed. The jewel of the Moore trade though is we get Carolina's first pick next year which should be easily a top 10 pick if not top 5 which means we might be able to package first round picks to get Harrison. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm really hoping he is. So far he looks great and honestly was surprised at his speed. The jewel of the Moore trade though is we get Carolina's first pick next year which should be easily a top 10 pick if not top 5 which means we might be able to package first round picks to get Harrison. 

I definitely see that Carolina pick being top 5. I love the flexibility of having 2 first round picks next draft. If Fields doesn't make the jump this year, Bears can definitely have the capability of moving up in draft for QB. If Fields is a franchise QB, Bears can get a Harrison or defensive stud etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I actually think Carolina might have a shot to win their division. 500 probably does it…I imagine it will come down to the final week like last year.

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I actually think Carolina might have a shot to win their division. 500 probably does it…I imagine it will come down to the final week like last year.

Carolina winning the division? Negative there ghost rider. Just like I said before the draft. Someone always pays for the 1st pick. If I were a betting man I'd say Carolina finishes no better than 7 overall....and in the spirit of message board harmony that's even a stretch. 

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I definitely see that Carolina pick being top 5. I love the flexibility of having 2 first round picks next draft. If Fields doesn't make the jump this year, Bears can definitely have the capability of moving up in draft for QB. If Fields is a franchise QB, Bears can get a Harrison or defensive stud etc.

Yep...and most don't know Bears will have 2nd most cap space again going into next year. That trade for Moore was soooooo good. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Carolina winning the division? Negative there ghost rider. Just like I said before the draft. Someone always pays for the 1st pick. If I were a betting man I'd say Carolina finishes no better than 7 overall....and in the spirit of message board harmony that's even a stretch. 

We shall see…they have a solid defense and play in one of the weakest divisions in football. They will win their share of games. No one in that division is running away with it. Young is a solid qb. Will have his ups and downs…has his limitations but I expect Reich will figure a way to win 6 games at minimum…and that won’t be top 10 worst this year. Not when everyone is tanking for the qb class. I’d wager Carolina has a better record than the Colts…heck maybe the Bears too.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We shall see…they have a solid defense and play in one of the weakest divisions in football. They will win their share of games. No one in that division is running away with it. Young is a solid qb. Will have his ups and downs…has his limitations but I expect Reich will figure a way to win 6 games at minimum…and that won’t be top 10 worst this year. Not when everyone is tanking for the qb class. I’d wager Carolina has a better record than the Colts…heck maybe the Bears too.

Just looked at Carolina's schedule. Week 7 and 8  is their first chances at wins. Won't speak on the Colts but the Bears have a very easy path to 9 probably 10 wins. Time will tell for sure. 

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just looked at Carolina's schedule. Week 7 and 8  is their first chances at wins. Won't speak on the Colts but the Bears have a very easy path to 9 probably 10 wins. Time will tell for sure. 

As the biggest closet Bear fan that I know(lol), I can't emphasize enough about Fields being the key.  I have complete faith in his ability, the injury factor is where my doubts lie.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rico said:

As the biggest closet Bear fan that I know(lol), I can't emphasize enough about Fields being the key.  I have complete faith in his ability, the injury factor is where my doubts lie.

Hard to see in just one game but lots of quick passes to get the playmakers in space and avoid him taking extra hits is what I see the Bears doing. Kind of the same with Richardson and Colts. 

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Hard to see in just one game but lots of quick passes to get the playmakers in space and avoid him taking extra hits is what I see the Bears doing. Kind of the same with Richardson and Colts. 

Not overly impressed by Richardson. No touch on his passes. Broke a few tackles but for all the hoopla, he didn’t really run away from anyone 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not overly impressed by Richardson. No touch on his passes. Broke a few tackles but for all the hoopla, he didn’t really run away from anyone 

I thought the corner fade to Pierce was absolutely as beautiful as a ball can be thrown. To me he didn't seem rattled. The int was on McKenzie which is why Wayne jumped on him right away.

Only a rookie but to me the poise seems there.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I thought the corner fade to Pierce was absolutely as beautiful as a ball can be thrown. To me he didn't seem rattled. The int was on McKenzie which is why Wayne jumped on him right away.

Only a rookie but to me the poise seems there.

I saw multiple open receivers that he threw either too high or too hard to. I also was not impressed by his running, which was supposed to be one of his strengths until he learned how to be a pro quarterback. Minshew looked much more like the guy who should be playing on opening day 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I saw multiple open receivers that he threw either too high or too hard to. I also was not impressed by his running, which was supposed to be one of his strengths until he learned how to be a pro quarterback. Minshew looked much more like the guy who should be playing on opening day 

I thought he looked fine, it was 1 quarter of his first ore season game. Relax 

On 8/12/2023 at 11:01 AM, Seeking6 said:

Being a Bear lifer there is nobody who has been a Bears fan in 4 decades that ever feels good about the QB situation. It's part of our DNA. Always questions at the QB.

Factoring in camp reports though I will say with the addition of DJ Moore and a healthy Mooney we finally have a WR room that is above average. Will he make the same leap that Allen made with Diggs? Or Hurts with AJ Brown? Unlikely but since it's August we can hope. Haha.

I think he becomes a bonafide top ten QB this year. Not necessarily a jump to the MVP level that Allen and Hurts took, but just a step behind it and still very entrenched as a long term starter. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 9:31 PM, Seeking6 said:

Wait, what? Carolina's first two games are winnable. Are we looking at the same schedule? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I actually thought he looked good. Pick wasn't his fault, although I'd like to see him throw that ball away once the receiver messes up.

If AP catches the deep ball he's like 8/12 for 100 yards and a TD. That's a lot better than the other rookie QBs. 

• Like 2