2023 NFL Discussion

rico

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38123051/inside-jonathan-taylor-trade-standoff-colts

So JT has an issue with being asked to have the Colts medical staff evaluate him? Is that not an incredibly normal request for a football team to make?

Yes....and I'm hoping that cooler heads prevail but I'd like to know a little bit more about this back injury as I'm sure the Colts would like to know. I was out there yesterday. Just from this guys novice non medical eye....something didn't seem right with his back. 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38123051/inside-jonathan-taylor-trade-standoff-colts

So JT has an issue with being asked to have the Colts medical staff evaluate him? Is that not an incredibly normal request for a football team to make?

Wouldn’t there be some guidelines negotiated between the owners and the union to address this? I would have to think that there are 

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Wouldn’t there be some guidelines negotiated between the owners and the union to address this? I would have to think that there are 

You would sure think so.

We have a lot of evidence over the years of Irsay taking good care of his own, and Ballard is big on building from within and through the draft. On the other hand we have JT acting this way… it just sure seems like one party is way out of line with how things are being handled. 

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

That sounds like a camp body. He is like 30 isn’t he? I think Hull will be the starting back if Taylor is out as it seems he might.

He had 4.4 ypc on over 100 carries and 4 TD last year. Considering you want us to break the bank for a guy who averaged 4.5 and had 3 TDs I think we should speak a little more kindly of Drake.

Do I think Zach Moss or Kenyan Drake are as good as JT? No, I don’t. But gosh looking at their production it all looks similar. That’s probably why the Colts (and 31 other teams) don’t want to pay a big premium for running backs. Especially a back that doesn’t contribute in an exceptional way to the passing game. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He had 4.4 ypc on over 100 carries and 4 TD last year. Considering you want us to break the bank for a guy who averaged 4.5 and had 3 TDs I think we should speak a little more kindly of Drake.

Do I think Zach Moss or Kenyan Drake are as good as JT? No, I don’t. But gosh looking at their production it all looks similar. That’s probably why the Colts (and 31 other teams) don’t want to pay a big premium for running backs. Especially a back that doesn’t contribute in an exceptional way to the passing game. 

I do hate it for the RB's as a whole but it's just simple math. 80% of the production or talent for 10-20% of the cost. Once again all these RB's can thank Leveon Bell for this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t want to start this arguement again but “looks” are deceiving. Not all carries are equal. Do you want a guy that when you block the play just right gets 5-6 yards or one that can take it to the house? One that will find that extra 2 yards on a run to keep a drive alive? One that opponents fear and keep an extra man in the box for. One that defenses have to honor a play fake because they are scared to lose contain or one they don’t fear?  One that can carry a team on his shoulders in the fourth quarter and through a whole season?

It all matters and taking numbers at face value doesn’t cut it. Look you don’t want to pay him…I get it. I mean I don’t want to pay him 15-16 million either. I’ve always advocated for adjusting his salary this year as a bonus to facilitate getting him into camp and leading to some good will down the line to lock him up for 2-3 more years. Taylor had a freak injury last year…you don’t like his stance in trying to get a contract extension and that’s fine…but the guy came back early from injury (shouldn’t have been on the field) just to try to save Jeff Saturdays job and for trying to help the team he made his injury worse and now you are trying to say he was bad last year because his numbers weren’t as good as when he was healthy. You are absolutely right. JT on a bum ankle was basically Kenyon Drake on a good day. Trying to compare a guy that hasn’t been good enough to be a starting back or heck crack much more than a hundred carries to a league rushing champ and the all time leading single season rusher in colts history and one of only 5 backs since basically the turn of this century to rush for 1800 yards in a season is laughable.

These guys aren’t comparable…that’s like comparing Alec Pierce to Tyrek Hill because he had better yards per catch last year. Let’s just chalk this up to you don’t think he is worth investing in and I do…no big deal but to continue this narrative that he is somehow replaceable in this offense with a guy like Kenyon Drake…geez that’s just trying to troll.

Edited by dgambill

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don’t want to start this arguement again but “looks” are deceiving. Not all carries are equal. Do you want a guy that when you block the play just right gets 5-6 yards or one that can take it to the house? One that will find that extra 2 yards on a run to keep a drive alive? One that opponents fear and keep an extra man in the box for. One that defenses have to honor a play fake because they are scared to lose contain or one they don’t fear?  One that can carry a team on his shoulders in the fourth quarter and through a whole season? It all matters and taking numbers at face value doesn’t cut it. Look you don’t want to pay him…I get it. I mean I don’t want to pay him 15-16 million either. I’ve always advocated for adjusting his salary this year as a bonus to facilitate getting him into camp and leading to some good will down the line to lock him up for 2-3 more years. Taylor had a freak injury last year…you don’t like his stance in trying to get a contract extension and that’s fine…but the guy came back early from injury (shouldn’t have been on the field) just to try to save Jeff Saturdays job and for trying to help the team he made his injury worse and now you are trying to say he was bad last year because his numbers weren’t as good as when he was healthy. You are absolutely right. JT on a bum ankle was basically Kenyon Drake on a good day. Trying to compare a guy that hasn’t been good enough to be a starting back or heck crack much more than a hundred carries to a league rushing champ and the all time leading single season rusher in colts history and one of only 5 backs since basically the turn of this century to rush for 1800 yards in a season is laughable. These guys aren’t comparable…that’s like comparing Alec Pierce to Tyrek Hill because he had better yards per catch last year. Let’s just chalk this up to you don’t think he is worth investing in and I do…no big deal but to continue this narrative that he is somehow replaceable in this offense with a guy like Kenyon Drake…geez that’s just trying to troll.

Every GM in the NFL is a troll is what I took from that word vomit.

JT is a great player, probably. I mean we don’t really know that, we know he had one absolutely great season but we don’t know that his body can hold up anymore. We don’t know that he can repeat that. We do know the Colts have been pretty clear they don’t want to give out extensions until they see guys under the new staff, which is completely reasonable.

There is nothing unreasonable about the Colts position. Honestly, extending JT now while he is injured and hasn’t played in this offense would be an unreasonable move. 

• Like 1