2023 NFL Discussion

rico

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep and I know all of this stuff is happening so quick so I might be wrong in my very simplistic post. All he had to do this year is go to work, run the ball, arguably should have more space out of respect for AR......and the Colts would have extended him after the season.

Now?? He's going to have either pray he gets traded and paid....or start rebuilding himself. Such a shame. He's a great guy that by all accounts is just getting some bad advice.

A smart move by him would be fire his agent and about face.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Some nice stuff from JT’s agent, apologies in advance mods if this stuff is breaking rules:

image.thumb.png.1650449aab6e685b4e527325e185aae8.png
image.thumb.png.04c10d7f912b5e7583d7e223c5c0a964.png

image.thumb.png.d9d57a8f5e466999c33c826265cdf6b1.png

Again… I’m pretty comfortable with the clown label if you choose this dude to be the public representative of you. 

Did you read the whole text or just highlight the salacious part and take it out of context. He was comparing guys saying they didn’t know steroids were in their supplements and calling them cheaters to saying to a girl at the bar and gets raped because she didn’t know someone slipped a drug in her drink deserved it. It’s aimed to get a headline but he wasn’t saying it’s ok to rape girls because if they don’t know they are being drugged they deserve it.

I don’t talk like that yet I also don’t run in circles with a bunch of mostly low educated, young testosterone pumped up fighters like he does. Id be foolish to try to defend any agent. They do all the dirty work and almost anything to get their client the money they deserve so the client doesn’t have to look bad. Hiring a guy like that doesn’t mean they are best friends…it’s business.

There are lots of disgusting stuff agents do and say who represent a lot of good guys. JT went out and got an agent who is very aggressive and well known for negotiating or trying to negotiate big pay days. The RB market is such I’m sure JT thought he needed a disruptor to get the contract he wants. Is it bad strategy….maybe…or maybe he will get traded to a team that might value what he can do for them. Time will tell. I still don’t think he is a clown. He is putting a lot of pressure on the Colts and we will see how it works out. Colts aren’t known to pay their rbs, and they aren’t known to like distractions so he probably think his best bet to get paid is to push the envelop or get moved to a team that wants to pay him. In the end I think JT is worthy of a top 5 rb contract…we have no threats on offense outside him. At least for the next few years until AR has his legs under him.

33 minutes ago, IUskim said:

Don’t forget this is the same agent that represents shaq and got him his big contract. Probably why JT wanted him. 

I like the Lamar way.  If you're worth it, you're going to get paid anyways.  Sub contract a reputable lawyer in the industry to review the contract and give you advise.  I don't get paying these agents bookoo money.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Did you read the whole text or just highlight the salacious part and take it out of context. He was comparing guys saying they didn’t know steroids were in their supplements and calling them cheaters to saying to a girl at the bar and gets raped because she didn’t know someone slipped a drug in her drink deserved it. It’s aimed to get a headline but he wasn’t saying it’s ok to rape girls because if they don’t know they are being drugged they deserve it.

I don’t talk like that yet I also don’t run in circles with a bunch of mostly low educated, young testosterone pumped up fighters like he does. Id be foolish to try to defend any agent. They do all the dirty work and almost anything to get their client the money they deserve so the client doesn’t have to look bad. Hiring a guy like that doesn’t mean they are best friends…it’s business.

There are lots of disgusting stuff agents do and say who represent a lot of good guys. JT went out and got an agent who is very aggressive and well known for negotiating or trying to negotiate big pay days. The RB market is such I’m sure JT thought he needed a disruptor to get the contract he wants. Is it bad strategy….maybe…or maybe he will get traded to a team that might value what he can do for them. Time will tell. I still don’t think he is a clown. He is putting a lot of pressure on the Colts and we will see how it works out. Colts aren’t known to pay their rbs, and they aren’t known to like distractions so he probably think his best bet to get paid is to push the envelop or get moved to a team that wants to pay him. In the end I think JT is worthy of a top 5 rb contract…we have no threats on offense outside him. At least for the next few years until AR has his legs under him.

You’re picking out one thing, but it’s pretty clear his agent is trash. Why is that hard to admit?

If you hire trash to represent you, then you get the label you get. JT has done this to himself. 

34 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I like the Lamar way.  If you're worth it, you're going to get paid anyways.  Sub contract a reputable lawyer in the industry to review the contract and give you advise.  I don't get paying these agents bookoo money.  

Did Lamar even do that? I thought he handled everything himself. 

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You’re picking out one thing, but it’s pretty clear his agent is trash. Why is that hard to admit?

If you hire trash to represent you, then you get the label you get. JT has done this to himself. 

It didn't take long to form an opinion of the agent, after skimming through his twitter. I'll just say that. 

I'm surprised JT hired him, truthfully. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I guess I just don’t go around calling my fellow humans trash much. Maybe that is why I’m being so defensive. This idea that people have no value, life isn’t precious, and if we disagree we must dehumanize each other just seems really harsh and I hate that society has really accepted this.

I’m not trying to argue Taylor has hired a good agent, is getting good advice, or is going about things right. I just think the fact he has gone from being a fan favorite and an important part of our team to being hated, vilified etc seems extreme since he is just trying to secure a contract. Basically his one and only one that will last him the rest of his life. I hope we find a way to compromise and move forward but it seems both sides are dug in.

Edited by dgambill

44 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It didn't take long to form an opinion of the agent, after skimming through his twitter. I'll just say that. 

I'm surprised JT hired him, truthfully. 

Agree - I'm pretty flabbergasted he would hire him and then now keep him.

But if that's who JT chooses to represent him, I don't think he's going to get a lot of sympathy from fans on this one. 

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m not trying to argue Taylor has hired a good agent, is getting good advice, or is going about things right. I just think the fact he has gone from being a fan favorite and an important part of our team to being hated, vilified etc seems extreme since he is just trying to secure a contract. Basically his one and only one that will last him the rest of his life. I hope we find a way to compromise and move forward but it seems both sides are dug in.

JT dropped a bomb on everything (he and his agent are one and the same at this point in terms of how things are being handled).

JT has had one elite year out of three and is injured - the solution to getting a good contract was get healthy and produce. If he did that, he'd have a lot of people on his side. I'm probably one of the more sympathetic to players getting what they deserve on this board but this just ain't it. 

35 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Is Shaq Leonard trash for hiring him?

I didn't say JT was trash, I said the agent is trash. Shaq is certainly a clown even though I'm glad he is on our team. 

I'll be thrilled to keep JT for a few years and get this worked out of that happens too, doesn't mean he isn't a clown for how this is going down. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I guess I just don’t go around calling my fellow humans trash much. Maybe that is why I’m being so defensive. This idea that people have no value, life isn’t precious, and if we disagree we must dehumanize each other just seems really harsh and I hate that society has really accepted this.

Honestly… what are you talking about? I didn’t say he has no value or shouldn’t live?

The Colts would be crazy to sign Taylor to big money. You sign running backs to team friendly deals or you let them walk. 

Sucks for guys like Taylor, Barkley, Jacob's, etc., but it's just a reality of the league right now. 

Heck the Eagles let Miles Sanders walk for nothing coming off a Super Bowl appearance. 

It just ties up too much money in a position that is more easily replaceable. The justification would be if you're saying Richardson is legit and you're matching up Taylor's money to when Richardson's rookie deal ends. 

But even then, you're better off using that money for both lines, receivers and the secondary. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

The Colts would be crazy to sign Taylor to big money. You sign running backs to team friendly deals or you let them walk. 

Sucks for guys like Taylor, Barkley, Jacob's, etc., but it's just a reality of the league right now. 

Heck the Eagles let Miles Sanders walk for nothing coming off a Super Bowl appearance. 

It just ties up too much money in a position that is more easily replaceable. The justification would be if you're saying Richardson is legit and you're matching up Taylor's money to when Richardson's rookie deal ends. 

But even then, you're better off using that money for both lines, receivers and the secondary. 

Yet I see value in signaling to your players that you value what they do for the team. Taylor has been inarguably our best offensive weapon since he has been here (even injured it was evident he was the most valuable asset on that side of the ball). All the players on your team watch how you deal with your star players. Doesn’t matter what position they play you want to reward your own players…guys around the league and agents too want to play for organizations that reward performance. Players see how you treat them and how you treat your stars and that resonates and if it festers it not only can destroy moral but the negativity can bring down an organization. 

Im not saying he deserves starting qb money, or wr…but if you have a player that is top 5 in the league at his position…wouldn’t you want to pay him in that top 5? Low balling your own guys can make players feel undervalued and that isn’t going to build a winning locker room. I have no idea what Taylor will seek and even if he is starting at 16 that just means you will negotiate down from there. Colts have about 19 million in cap space available. Nothing says you can’t extend Taylor and roll most of the future guarantees into this year and next. Rb may not be highly valued across the league but we don’t have a qb to carry out team like Hurts or Mahomes etc. Giants found a way to compromise because they knew Barkley meant more to them than most rbs do to their teams. maybe we should too.

Edited by dgambill

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yet I see value in signaling to your players that you value what they do for the team. Taylor has been inarguably our best offensive weapon since he has been here (even injured it was evident he was the most valuable asset on that side of the ball). All the players on your team watch how you deal with your star players. Doesn’t matter what position they play you want to reward your own players…guys around the league and agents too want to play for organizations that reward performance. Players see how you treat them and how you treat your stars and that resonates and if it festers it not only can destroy moral but the negativity can bring down an organization. 

Im not saying he deserves starting qb money, or wr…but if you have a player that is top 5 in the league at his position…wouldn’t you want to pay him in that top 5? Low balling your own guys can make players feel undervalued and that isn’t going to build a winning locker room. I have no idea what Taylor will seek and even if he is starting at 16 that just means you will negotiate down from there. Colts have about 19 million in cap space available. Nothing says you can’t extend Taylor and roll most of the future guarantees into this year and next. Rb may not be highly valued across the league but we don’t have a qb to carry out team like Hurts or Mahomes etc. Giants found a way to compromise because they knew Barkley meant more to them than most rbs do to their teams. maybe we should too.

What was the Giants compromise?

And to the rest of your post… we’ve been bad since JT got here. We missed the playoffs twice and haven’t won a division. JT had a historically good year on a team that led the league in Pro Bowlers and we missed the playoffs… that’s like a case study on why you don’t pay running backs long term. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think if we hadn’t already given some bad contracts to guys at not premium positions you could give JT a bigger contract to match AR’s rookie contract… but we did give out those other contracts. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Do I want a top 5 running back on my team? Sure, I'd like that. Am I investing top 5 position dollars at the running back position? No way. 

Just like I'm not doing it at middle linebacker either. 

I'm investing top money at QB, LT, C, DT and DE and CB. That's about it. 

The guys in the locker room know the deal. The entire league knows RB's aren't getting paid right now. They'd get over it pretty quick. 

The Patriots cut Lawyer Milloy, one of the most popular players and leaders on the team right before week 1 in 2003. The players cried for a week and then got back to work and won the Super Bowl. I believe the next two Super Bowls in fact. 

Do you want to keep Taylor, sure. But not at top RB money on a long term deal. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

Do I want a top 5 running back on my team? Sure, I'd like that. Am I investing top 5 position dollars at the running back position? No way. 

Just like I'm not doing it at middle linebacker either. 

I'm investing top money at QB, LT, C, DT and DE and CB. That's about it. 

The guys in the locker room know the deal. The entire league knows RB's aren't getting paid right now. They'd get over it pretty quick. 

The Patriots cut Lawyer Milloy, one of the most popular players and leaders on the team right before week 1 in 2003. The players cried for a week and then got back to work and won the Super Bowl. I believe the next two Super Bowls in fact. 

Do you want to keep Taylor, sure. But not at top RB money on a long term deal. 

So who out there would you spend that 19 million on? That Patriot team was loaded and had difficult decisions to make on who to pay and keep and who to move on from. The Colts have no such problem. They have a ton of young guys at the more expensive positions….and have one of the most expensive lines in the league. Yet they have plenty of cap space. They have the money. He is arguably their best player..yet you don’t want to pay him. While running backs are undervalued, running the ball is not. It’s still VERY important to winning football. Do you try to build your team around a running back, no. But do you just toss one of the best in the game aside when you have no quality replacement and he is your only big play threat? I won’t want to draft one in the first rd. I don’t want to go into free agency spending a bunch on one…but if I have one..and he is my best player and my roster is set the way ours is with a young qb and I have no one else to pay…I’ll pay him and keep him. The option is do nothing with that cap space or pay your best player. Front load it…be creative. You don’t have to lock up your future to take care of your players. IT would be a huge statement in a league where teams are undervaluing their rb if you are creative and find a way to pay a deserving player. The Giants figured it out because they knew they weren’t going anywhere without Barkley…same applies for Colts.