2023 NFL Discussion

rico

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Ian Rappaport says Zac Taylor called it a calf 'strain'.

Serious question.  If it's a pulled calf muscle, that takes him out for a good chunk of the season.  What do the Bengals do?

Is Tom Brady still property of the Bucs?  Do the Bengals take a flyer on Matt Ryan?  What other experienced QBs are available?

Well.. the first question would be.. which calf is it? If it's his left one.. I doubt he misses any time, as we are still 5.5 weeks away. 

Right calf.. (plant calf).. that could change things. I don't think he misses time, though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well.. the first question would be.. which calf is it? If it's his left one.. I doubt he misses any time, as we are still 5.5 weeks away. 

Right calf.. (plant calf).. that could change things. I don't think he misses time, though. 

I'm hoping it was just precautionary. Sometimes these practice fields are far away from facilities so the golf carts again is just a precaution.

I remember at the old Bears camp up in Wisconsin the practice field was about 2 miles from the actual medical facilities.

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm hoping it was just precautionary. Sometimes these practice fields are far away from facilities so the golf carts again is just a precaution.

I remember at the old Bears camp up in Wisconsin the practice field was about 2 miles from the actual medical facilities.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Thanks for sharing that...and I'm hoping that's case here. Factor in the Bengals ownership has never gone out of their way to have great facilities the golf carts could simply be hey we need to get you back to the trainers and it's 1 mile down there under the bridge.

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for sharing that...and I'm hoping that's case here. Factor in the Bengals ownership has never gone out of their way to have great facilities the golf carts could simply be hey we need to get you back to the trainers and it's 1 mile down there under the bridge.

I went to a Reds game recently.. indoor practice facility looks like its in the middle of Soviet Russia, like a James Bond looking railroad track area .... BOOM huge indoor practice facility..lol I was like alright. Concrete jungle. 

Its RIGHT under two over passes. Wild. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, rico said:

Bridgewater?

That's a name I had not thought of, and would definitely consider him to be a good option for a short-term problem.  It does not sound as if it is a season ending issue, but if it was, you almost have to at least pick up the phone and call Brady.  The Bengals have a window of opportunity, and this is probably the peak year for this core group. 

Trevor Semien isn't a going to take them there, and probably can't even be counted on for more than a game or two.  Someone like Bridgewater could keep them from falling out of the playoff picture if we're talking 6-8 weeks.  But, the full season?  You reach out to the GOAT for that.  

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I went to a Reds game recently.. indoor practice facility looks like its in the middle of Soviet Russia, like a James Bond looking railroad track area .... BOOM huge indoor practice facility..lol I was like alright. Concrete jungle. 

Its RIGHT under two over passes. Wild. 

My next door friends growing up had Ken Anderson as their God Father. He would come back 2-3x a year in the summer and throw the ball around. I remember distinctly one time an adult said something about taking a break in the off season and he said nope....have to go make $. I play for the Bengals. 

Some stuff never changes....I really hope the Bengals take advantage of this window. They are right there. Time to invest in team and the area.

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

That's a name I had not thought of, and would definitely consider him to be a good option for a short-term problem.  It does not sound as if it is a season ending issue, but if it was, you almost have to at least pick up the phone and call Brady.  The Bengals have a window of opportunity, and this is probably the peak year for this core group. 

Trevor Semien isn't a going to take them there, and probably can't even be counted on for more than a game or two.  Someone like Bridgewater could keep them from falling out of the playoff picture if we're talking 6-8 weeks.  But, the full season?  You reach out to the GOAT for that.  

I imagine that the Bengals would have to give some compensation to Tampa in order to get Brady?

8 minutes ago, rico said:

I imagine that the Bengals would have to give some compensation to Tampa in order to get Brady?

Thankfully, it sounds as if that may not be necessary.  But, yeah, I'm not sure how that works.  For example, the Colts released Matt Ryan, so he is free to sign wherever.  But, in the case of someone retiring, I don't know if it matters whether the player had an active contract when he retired or not.  I thought Brady was on a one-year deal last season, but maybe that doesn't matter?

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Thankfully, it sounds as if that may not be necessary.  But, yeah, I'm not sure how that works.  For example, the Colts released Matt Ryan, so he is free to sign wherever.  But, in the case of someone retiring, I don't know if it matters whether the player had an active contract when he retired or not.  I thought Brady was on a one-year deal last season, but maybe that doesn't matter?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/18/sport/tom-brady-future-2023-nfl-spt-intl/index.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I know if Luck decided to come back to the NFL that the Colts still holds his rights

Bengals are saying several weeks for Burrow. I don't know the Bengals history with players who are hurt. For example....the Bears say day to day and that turns into 10 weeks.

Bengals open season at Browns, home with Ravens/Rams, and at Titans. Not necessarily murderer's row. That gets you to October 1st which is almost 10 weeks from now.

It might cost you home field advantage vs say Chiefs or even Bills.....but not the end of the world. The Bengals have proven they can win on the road in crunch time. Get Burrow healthy and roll with it....and might as well just bring Dalton back. Haha.

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Man that would be hilarious if he winds up a Mahomes 2.0

I'm a Bears guy first but love Indy and everything Indiana so I cheer for the Colts pretty hard as well. This kid seems polished and mature beyond his age. Cross your fingers but I think the Colts have a good one 2-3 years out. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I know JT is good but he needs to be reminded this is the same franchise that tagged Edge....and JT isn't Edge. Might be eventually but he isn't there.

In terms of Irsay. What's new. The guy talks but I'd take an owner like him 100 out of 100x vs other owners like my Bears who fake trying to be competitive. 

Problem with the cap is even with AR being a rookie you have to start looking at 4 years from now. If he's the guy you have to decide where you can save because AR will command what $50M a year? Tough puzzle to put together. 

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I know JT is good but he needs to be reminded this is the same franchise that tagged Edge....and JT isn't Edge. Might be eventually but he isn't there.

In terms of Irsay. What's new. The guy talks but I'd take an owner like him 100 out of 100x vs other owners like my Bears who fake trying to be competitive. 

Problem with the cap is even with AR being a rookie you have to start looking at 4 years from now. If he's the guy you have to decide where you can save because AR will command what $50M a year? Tough puzzle to put together. 

That is why you offer  JT a 3 year/ 39M contract 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

That range seems about right to me. I mean Derrick Henry has earned what $50M total in his career? I hate that RB's are valued so little but it is what it is. 

I guess JT has formally asked for a trade. This is not encouraging because he is our best player and only true playmaker 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess JT has formally asked for a trade. This is not encouraging because he is our best player and only true playmaker 

Makes sense to me for the Colts. Sure they'd love to have JT but this franchise is 2-3 years away minimally from being a team to compete with Chiefs, Bengals, Bills,etc....why not reset? Business wise I get this all day long for the Colts and hope they can get a few picks.