Beer/Alcohol Thread

14 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

I’ve enjoyed the beer I’ve had from them. 

How was it?

Oh it's real good. Big and bold flavors without being a chore to get through. Some of these higher gravity stouts can be like drinking molasses. This one is smooth, and well balanced. Even the cherry just adds a touch a flavor and sweetness without overwhelming.

PXL_20230120_012313175.thumb.jpg.59a0dc2e570d62cb438d6de88d992a59.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 8:19 AM, Maedhros said:

I paired last night's Indiana win with a brew from Avery called One Ping Only, which is just a fantastic name for a Russian Imperial Stout.

I picked one up this morning for the game. I agree with you on the cherry. It does a really good job of cutting some of the sweetness and alcohol you can get in these strong beers. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Winterfest over the weekend at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. It's a fundraiser for the Brewers of Indiana Guild and about 90 breweries from all over the state were in attendance. I made it a point to try some of the brewers that don't make it to Indy. Some of my favorites were Fran, an Old Ale from Damsel brewing out of Evansville, and Market Street Amber, an Altbier brewed by Parlor City out of Bluffton. I tasted over 20 different beers, and there were far more hits than misses. Really fun event.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I went to Winterfest over the weekend at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. It's a fundraiser for the Brewers of Indiana Guild and about 90 breweries from all over the state were in attendance. I made it a point to try some of the brewers that don't make it to Indy. Some of my favorites were Fran, an Old Ale from Damsel brewing out of Evansville, and Market Street Amber, an Altbier brewed by Parlor City out of Bluffton. I tasted over 20 different beers, and there were far more hits than misses. Really fun event.

had you ever been to one of those events before? 

3 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Oh yeah. It's my third or fourth time at Winterfest specifically. Before that Sun King used to hold their CANvitational festival downtown every September, with brewers from all over the country.

I have been to one in Broad Ripple that they host in outfield of a mens softball field. SOOOO FUNNNN and honestly what got me started on craft beer.

There used to be one here in Columbus, at Mill Race in May, but I don't think that one is going to make it through Covid. I think there is one in Bargersville coming up in April we might attend. 

The pretzel and cheese necklaces are the best lol 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Beer festivals are always a ton of fun. We have a few across the river in Louisville I’ve been to. 

Parlor City is a cool place. We’ve gone there a few times when when we visit my parents. 

Every once in a while I'm struck be a beers name or packaging enough to give it a try. The most recent was Caramel Crisp Popcorn Ale by Revolution. Garrets caramel popcorn made into a beer? I'm thinking this could be ok, or really bad. I'd say it was actually better than ok.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/drink/ct-food-garrett-caramel-popcorn-beer-revolution-brewing-tt-20220914-pvknwxzjfbcjzfddxupcbyqctm-story.html

Two cans of beer with a bowl of popcorn behind, and a spoon spooning up caramel sauce.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was in AZ for my daughters graduation. Had dinner at Four Peaks. Their Bourbon Barrell Kilt Lifter was a home run! 

Have been buying the bourbon barrell beers lately. Dragons Milk has a nice Crimson Ale. Finished my last to celebrate the Mgbako commit. Just bought the Boulevard Bourbon Barrell Quad to try over the weekend. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Drroogh said:

IMG_0131.thumb.jpeg.b004c8c905aabf44568d25106ec9549f.jpeg

Kind of partial to my scenery!

Edit: Have you ever had the breeze coming off the lake start to make your almost empty bottle humm? My kind of day!!!

Of course, that also means your bottle is empty, which is not ideal. 😜

Spotted Cow is one of my whales. Not that it's exclusive like a Dark Lord, where it's only one day a year and you have to be there in person to get it, but New Glarus requires a trip to Wisconsin so it's well off the beaten path for me to buy and try.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I bought tickets to a different sort of beer festival. It's called Hops and Coaster Drops and takes place at Indiana Beach. It closes to the public for the festival, but the rides are still open and available while samples are being served. Sounds like a risky combination but I'm excited to give it a try.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Maedhros said:

I bought tickets to a different sort of beer festival. It's called Hops and Coaster Drops and takes place at Indiana Beach. It closes to the public for the festival, but the rides are still open and available while samples are being served. Sounds like a risky combination but I'm excited to give it a try.

I debated doing this as well!