Beer/Alcohol Thread

Just now, Drroogh said:

Click bait, ALL of the headlines regardless of network are clickbait. Deal with it!

I can deal with it. Is what it is. 

Now, to get back on topic....

I think IPAs are overrated and too dominating on the beer landscape.

Every darn brewery I go to has 997 IPA varieties, 3 random other choices and ice water.

No more IPA madness!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/28/2023 at 7:27 PM, IUFLA said:

Trying a Modelo Oro (light beer) tonight... Not bad... Pretty decent flavor for a light beer, with a different finish...

PXL_20230829_0024385272.thumb.jpg.cdfb6c6c1bf1457c39c10ca7596c1a7c.jpg

I grabbed a 12 pack too. I know I've been saying it a lot, but heavier craft beers are destroying me. Since I can't quit them, I've been drinking them in moderation and drinking these low cal/carb beers on the weekend (when I'm planning on having more than one). I thought the Oro was decent, but I like Corona Premiere a little better. Yeah, it's like debating which bottled water I like more, but I'm getting old. 

On a side note, my wife is a little bit of a health nut, so she's been monitoring her glucose levels with a patch and app for the last few weeks. The biggest spike of anything she's consumed to date came after she drank a hazy IPA. lol. Interestingly enough, just drinking a regular IPA didn't seem to have as much of an effect on her glucose levels. No wonder those hazies and bourbon barrel stouts force me into a nap, which I wake from up with a monster headache. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 4:41 PM, Madison22 said:

My Madison grocery store today. 

Spotted Cow everywhere.

hsn beer lo.JPG

hsn beer clip.JPG

My son loves it. We have granddaughter coming down from Madtown for the weekend and she'll be bringing a case. Actually have 3-4 people who either live in Wisconsin, or travel there regularly, and they always bring me a case. Wonder if/when the folks in New Glarus will open up marketing like Coors/Olympia did back in the day, or like Yuengling did more recently?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I’m looking at your pictures and trying to figure out the difference between green, yellow and red labels? All I’ve ever seen are all the same? Are there different flavors I should try?!

Hi Drroogh!  These are just 4 of the several beers they make.  Lots of jokes about someone ordering Two Women and Totally Naked.

Spotted Cow is their best seller.  A nice summer beer.

new glarus beers.JPG

Link below has all listed, including the seasonal Staghorn Octoberfest.

image.png.4dbeb6b35ebfd3b5ba7a76573cf0959f.png

Have a great 3-day weekend!  Sign some recruits, Coach Woodson!

https://newglarusbrewing.com/pages/our-beers

Edited by Madison22

7 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Hi Drroogh!  These are just 4 of the several beers they make.  Lots of jokes about someone ordering Two Women and Totally Naked.

Spotted Cow is their best seller.  A nice summer beer.

new glarus beers.JPG

Link below has all listed, including the seasonal Staghorn Octoberfest.

image.png.4dbeb6b35ebfd3b5ba7a76573cf0959f.png

Have a great 3-day weekend!  Sign some recruits, Coach Woodson!

https://newglarusbrewing.com/pages/our-beers

I’ll remember this this next summer!!!

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 3:20 PM, bluegrassIU said:

I can deal with it. Is what it is. 

Now, to get back on topic....

I think IPAs are overrated and too dominating on the beer landscape.

Every darn brewery I go to has 997 IPA varieties, 3 random other choices and ice water.

No more IPA madness!

The best IPA that I have ever found, was at Menards, in the 2x4x12' isle. suck on the end of a fresh cut piece of pine and it's like the best hops ever. The best part, you can still go build something with it later. 

• Like 1

I love a good piney West Coast IPA, with a nice crisp bite. But I also love a fluffy, malty amber with notes of caramel. And a syrupy, toffee Belgian. Or a peppery, biscuity ESB. I'll defend bitter, hoppy beers, but I'll also agree they take up way too much space in the market.

Love me a good IPA, or even a well balanced DIPA like Daredevil's Rip Cord, but these days when I'm browsing for something new my eyes mostly glaze over past all the IPAs. Especially now that the weather's about to turn. Fall is the time for roasty brews. Like schwarzbiers!

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 8:47 AM, Maedhros said:

I bought tickets to a different sort of beer festival. It's called Hops and Coaster Drops and takes place at Indiana Beach. It closes to the public for the festival, but the rides are still open and available while samples are being served. Sounds like a risky combination but I'm excited to give it a try.

Went to this over the weeked. I haven't been on a roller coaster in over 15 years, but I'm pleased to say that even now in my 40s they're still a blast. Getting to experience them with beverages at a 21+ only event makes it even better!

I thought the setup was really great, all the vendors were spaced well throughout the park. It was neat to see several homebrew groups there as well, something I don't always see at these festivals. The homebrewers had some of my favorite beers of the day, the only disappointment is I can't just go out and buy some more.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...