Beer/Alcohol Thread

6 hours ago, Reacher said:

My wife likes anything related to bears so I picked this up at my local Binny's

16903969330825179149460735753193.jpg

I haven’t seen that one, but I’ve had Teddy Bear Kisses and some of those variants. 

I remember getting the original in the bigger 22oz bottles. 

• Like 1

Way back in my beer cabinet...all the way in the corner I found a Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA. It was from 2015! So I cracked it open and shared it with some friends. I've never aged a high abv IPA before....let alone 8 years. (Dogfish says you can age it 10+). Anyway, the taste totally changed - if you put a blindfold on me I would've sworn I was drinking a barleywine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

We used to live in Wisconsin, and every time we have someone visit us from there they are asked to pick up a case or two to bring to us.

I have relatives in Kansas City. As a kid, we would go there once a year to visit. Coming home, we would bring a few cases of Coors with us because you couldn't get it east of the Mississippi River. https://www.ranker.com/list/bootlegging-coors-beer-in-the-70s/melissa-sartore  I have such fond memories of the 10 hour car ride with my knees in my chest cause there was a case or two of beer in the footwell!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I have relatives in Kansas City. As a kid, we would go there once a year to visit. Coming home, we would bring a few cases of Coors with us because you couldn't get it east of the Mississippi River. https://www.ranker.com/list/bootlegging-coors-beer-in-the-70s/melissa-sartore  I have such fond memories of the 10 hour car ride with my knees in my chest cause there was a case or two of beer in the footwell!

A friend in Georgia told of a trip just across the line to FA. They took along a couple cases of beer for personal consumption because it was cheaper. Cop stopped them and saw the beer asked where they got it from and them thinking they were doing nothing wrong told him. He made them pour out all of the beer there on the side of the Interstate or face bootlegging charges!😫

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

My dad did the same with Olympia

• 3 weeks later...

Been meaning to post an update here. A couple weeks ago took a weekend trip to SW MI. Hit up Founders for their tour. Very informative. Founders, and two other Grand Rapids breweries, were founded by members of frats at Hope College (Holland MI). 20 years ago, it was legal to buy home brewing supplies if you were underage. Frats just made their own.  Founders was told by the State of KY to take Kentucky off of their Kentucky Barrell Stout. Hence it became KBS. 

Stopped at two other breweries but the one other place I'll mention is SidebarGR. A tiny bar / speakeasy with 3 tables and 4 seats at the bar. Serve EXCELLENT craft cocktails. Went there to have one drink as they are pricy but stayed for a second. Not too many places have absinthe and the infused alcohols they do. Check out their drink menu here- http://www.sidebargrandrapids.com/menu-1

image-asset.jpeg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

Has anyone tried the new Hoosier Gameday Lager? I’m going to try to get some this weekend, but I’m not drinking one until September 2.

https://uplandbeer.com/news/upland-brewing-companys-first-official-beer-of-indiana-university-athletics-set-to-hit-store-shelves/

Will have to stock up when I'm in Bloomington this fall!

On 8/17/2023 at 9:57 AM, Reacher said:

Been meaning to post an update here. A couple weeks ago took a weekend trip to SW MI. Hit up Founders for their tour. Very informative. Founders, and two other Grand Rapids breweries, were founded by members of frats at Hope College (Holland MI). 20 years ago, it was legal to buy home brewing supplies if you were underage. Frats just made their own.  Founders was told by the State of KY to take Kentucky off of their Kentucky Barrell Stout. Hence it became KBS. 

Stopped at two other breweries but the one other place I'll mention is SidebarGR. A tiny bar / speakeasy with 3 tables and 4 seats at the bar. Serve EXCELLENT craft cocktails. Went there to have one drink as they are pricy but stayed for a second. Not too many places have absinthe and the infused alcohols they do. Check out their drink menu here- http://www.sidebargrandrapids.com/menu-1

image-asset.jpeg

Founders had some really good stuff. I have a few years of KBS cellared now. They discontinued CBS (Canadien Breakfast Stout), but that had a similar story. For a while it had a Mountie on the bottle but they had to remove it. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 9:11 AM, BeerBQ said:

Has anyone tried the new Hoosier Gameday Lager? I’m going to try to get some this weekend, but I’m not drinking one until September 2.

https://uplandbeer.com/news/upland-brewing-companys-first-official-beer-of-indiana-university-athletics-set-to-hit-store-shelves/

I struck out today. The store I usually go to sold out and said Upland in Jeffersonville sold out in a few hours. 

If anyone sees it you should pick it up right away. Sounds like everyone, at least down around Louisville, is selling it quick. 

On 8/18/2023 at 2:32 PM, BeerBQ said:

I struck out today. The store I usually go to sold out and said Upland in Jeffersonville sold out in a few hours. 

If anyone sees it you should pick it up right away. Sounds like everyone, at least down around Louisville, is selling it quick. 

Picked up a 6 pack today at a local Meijers.

image0(5).jpeg

• Like 4

Earlier this month I met up with three old friends for a boys trip to Bourbon Country. I'm not a regular whiskey drinker, but went with some friends who are. Spent a day in Frankfort, did tour and tastings at Buffalo Trace, Castle & Key and Woodford Reserve.

I picked up some Bourbon Cream from Buffalo Trace, that pairs with root beer to make a wonderful float. Also grabbed some gin at Castle & Key; maybe it's because it was different than all the bourbon we were drinking, but they mixed us a great gin & tonic on the tour.

I'd say Buffalo Trace puts the most emphasis on having a great tour and gift shop, but Woodford and Castle had their own charm, nestled in the hills on the south side of the city. Castle & Key was probably the neatest experience, it's literally a castle. Imagine Kentucky's Great Gatsby building his own novelty place for parties, then over a century later someone decides to buy it and get it running again. Definitely worth a visit.

• Like 2

Alps Brau is Back in Fort Wayne this Saturday!

Don't know Alps Brau? A bit history below...🧐

After 45 years of being out of commercial production, Alps Brau beer will once again be returning to Hoosier bars & package stores. Originally created by the Centlivre/Old Crown Brewing Company of Ft. Wayne in 1957 to celebrate that brewery’s 95th anniversary, the beer was a staple in the Midwest for over 20 years. Like many other regional beers and breweries of the time, competition from large national brewers proved too much for the brewery and the brand.

In 2021, Lawrence, IN entrepreneurs Brad & Sheila Klopfenstein acquired the Alps Brau trademark and went on a quest to bring the brand back after more than 40 years of hibernation. That quest led them to meet with over two dozen breweries from Wisconsin to Pennsylvania. After an exhaustive search, the couple formed Alps Brau Brewing LLC and entered into an agreement with 2Toms Brewing Company.  

We have developed an amazing beer based on research of historical beer of the era and will produce, market, and distribute Alps Brau throughout Indiana.

Any of you guys know this beer?

16 hours ago, Reacher said:

I read that. It is such a misleading article from FOX.

Nobody is limiting anything. The article is about what they may RECOMMEND as a daily alcohol consumption guidleine. That's all.

A guideline that nobody knows or cares even exists. It's a frustrating headline to a nothing burger article.

It impacts absolutely nothing. It's about as relevant as revamping the food pyramid charts.

How they can post the headline insinuating the government is wanting to force anybody to a beer limit is beyond me. And that kind of journalism is dangerous....regardless who it's from.

I read that this morning and it really annoyed me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I read that. It is such a misleading article from FOX.

Nobody is limiting anything. The article is about what they may RECOMMEND as a daily alcohol consumption guidleine. That's all.

A guideline that nobody knows or cares even exists. It's a frustrating headline to a nothing burger article.

It impacts absolutely nothing. It's about as relevant as revamping the food pyramid charts.

How they can post the headline insinuating the government is wanting to force anybody to a beer limit is beyond me. And that kind of journalism is dangerous....regardless who it's from.

I read that this morning and it really annoyed me.

And yet we are supposed to avoid politics!! Love you @bluegrassIUbut today alone our world seems to be focused on a mugshot?