TV show binging - making and asking for recommendations

Started watching Reacher on Amazon Prime.  I like that the actor is true to the character in the book and not the mini me version tom cruise was. Dialog is also accurate. 

I like it and give it my endorsement.  Which is worth about as much as Reacher carries in his pocket. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Started watching Reacher on Amazon Prime.  I like that the actor is true to the character in the book and not the mini me version tom cruise was. Dialog is also accurate. 

I like it and give it my endorsement.  Which is worth about as much as Reacher carries in his pocket. 

Spot on assessment. I saw where season 2 has begun filming. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been trying to catch up on a lot of series and movies recently. Since Thanksgiving:

Yellowstone (sn 1-4; gonna do 5 soon) -- (A) great world-building; beautiful setting

1883 -- (A+) excellent across the board

Tulsa King -- (B-) great concept, but execution is a bit weak; could be grittier and have a real edge

The White Lotus -- (B+) I stayed at the hotel from season 1 which was cool; fun ensemble in both seasons

Glass Onion -- (B-) fun and flashy; better performances than story itself

Banshees of Inisherin -- (A) a simple story well told; great performances from Ferrell & Gleeson -- sticks with you

The Bear -- (incomplete) really enjoying this so far. frenetic but in an authentic way. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I've been trying to catch up on a lot of series and movies recently. Since Thanksgiving:

Yellowstone (sn 1-4; gonna do 5 soon) -- (A) great world-building; beautiful setting

1883 -- (A+) excellent across the board

Tulsa King -- (B-) great concept, but execution is a bit weak; could be grittier and have a real edge

The White Lotus -- (B+) I stayed at the hotel from season 1 which was cool; fun ensemble in both seasons

Glass Onion -- (B-) fun and flashy; better performances than story itself

Banshees of Inisherin -- (A) a simple story well told; great performances from Ferrell & Gleeson -- sticks with you

The Bear -- (incomplete) really enjoying this so far. frenetic but in an authentic way. 

Appreciate your break down. Agree on all that I have also watched but don't agree with Tulsa King. I'm at an A-. I feel that since it's Tulsa, and new territory it kind of has to be a little weak on the execution. I think that brings the reality to it.

This is only a minor grading difference, not an argument. I hope I said all of this in a way that you understand that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Appreciate your break down. Agree on all that I have also watched but don't agree with Tulsa King. I'm at an A-. I feel that since it's Tulsa, and new territory it kind of has to be a little weak on the execution. I think that brings the reality to it.

This is only a minor grading difference, not an argument. I hope I said all of this in a way that you understand that.

All good! I love chatting and dissecting shows/movies with anyone who wants to, even if we don't agree.

My gripe with Tulsa King (so far -- I know the season isn't finished yet) is that Stallone's character doesn't have a truly well-defined set of goals. No one really does.

Not really a spoiler alert, but he's banished to Tulsa where he's "forced?" to do what exactly? Set up a totally new operation? Ok... that's the premise. Now what are the obstacles standing in his way? To me, that hasn't been elevated enough to feel like actual drama (in the technical sense); things feel a bit too easy and deus ex machina.

Again, I like the general concept and enjoy the setting. Shows that utilize 'other' cities not named LA, Chicago, NYC are very interesting to me because they are a totally new sandbox that, when used right, add a great element to the story.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm not gay but if I was Timothy Oliphant would be my first choice. 

Deadwood, Justified, if my wife leaves me he better watch out. 

You obviously have no experience, some of my best friends and even my teammate were. People you idolize??? Will always have respect for who they are and not their preferences!

• Haha 1