Car Talk (and Truck Talk too)

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

How do you feel about touchscreens in your vehicle? Seems to be a trend going back to buttons and knobs

I don't like all upgrades myself. I'll keep my modern stuff as minimum as I can.  I don't live in it. All I need is the road and a radio. 

I do have an interest in restoring an old car or truck.  Some things should just stick to KISS. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I don't like all upgrades myself. I'll keep my modern stuff as minimum as I can.  I don't live in it. All I need is the road and a radio. 

I do have an interest in restoring an old car or truck.  Some things should just stick to KISS. 

I purposely buy one level above "basic" in my vehicles. Far less BS computer stuff to deal with. Easier to disable idiot tones and switches that the Millennials and Gen Z'ers need, as well as that bleeping "Auto start/stop" button. I'd buy a stick shift if they offered it. (great anti-theft device these days)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

I purposely buy one level above "basic" in my vehicles. Far less BS computer stuff to deal with. Easier to disable idiot tones and switches that the Millennials and Gen Z'ers need, as well as that bleeping "Auto start/stop" button. I'd buy a stick shift if they offered it. (great anti-theft device these days)

I’m with you. My car has a screen but not touch! Works for backup and other information.

13 minutes ago, DWB said:

My 1996 Tacoma was a 5 speed.  Was my first truck and drove it for 10 years.  Only a few others in high school could drive stick and they were farm kids. 

While I like nostalgia, I do enjoy the convenience of modern day vehicles...I've had the anti-collision save my bacon once...Love lane departure and adaptive cruise control...Not to mention the heads up display...And I also like being fed directions from Android Auto and being able to listen to whatever song I want when I want...

Had I been with Lewis and Clark, I guess I'd have been the cook :) 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

While I like nostalgia, I do enjoy the convenience of modern day vehicles...I've had the anti-collision save my bacon once...Love lane departure and adaptive cruise control...Not to mention the heads up display...And I also like being fed directions from Android Auto and being able to listen to whatever song I want when I want...

When it comes to music while driving I have my wireless earbuds, phone, free youtube, usb charging cable and the cigarette lighter adapter.  So im not a complete luddite😄

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

When it comes to music while driving I have my wireless earbuds, phone, free youtube, usb charging cable and the cigarette lighter adapter.  So im not a complete luddite😄

I love Android Auto for more than just directions...I use Waze as my map app, and it is excellent at showing traffic, disabled vehicles, junk in the road (essential here) and speed traps...It's saved me a lot of time going to and fro...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I love Android Auto for more than just directions...I use Waze as my map app, and it is excellent at showing traffic, disabled vehicles, junk in the road (essential here) and speed traps...It's saved me a lot of time going to and fro...

I've used waze while traveling. It's helped avoid some traffic jams and navigate Atlanta, the worst traffic I've personally seen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I don’t think so much it’s nostalgia, but more going with what you know. Remember the first time I rented a car with adaptive cruise. Took me awhile to figure out what the heck was going on but when a semi I had passed awhile back passed me, I realized my habit of just setting cruise and pulling out to pass when needed no longer worked. The car was slowing down to tailgate the car in front of me? Instead of setting the speed and let it go I was now having to manage it? That’s progress?? I shut the cruise off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

My mom has a car with auto dimming lights. The first time I rode in it I told her something was wrong.  It annoyed the hell out of me. 

Wife's Edge has these. I disabled them the first time I drove it. Bugged the crap out of me, and way too sensitive. Just like that stupid lane sensor.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DWB said:

Wife's Edge has these. I disabled them the first time I drove it. Bugged the crap out of me, and way too sensitive. Just like that stupid lane sensor.

Surprised you’re able to disable sensors without the computer objecting anymore. My son simply changed his brakes and he had to buy a new obd tool that would reprogram the brake distance!

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've used waze while traveling. It's helped avoid some traffic jams and navigate Atlanta, the worst traffic I've personally seen. 

I traveled with my boss 4-5 months ago. EVERYONE knows that I HATE HATE HATE travling with other people on business trips.

After  1-1/2 hrs of BS that is exactly why I hate other people (you all excluded of course), we make it to the car. NO way he's driving I can assure you that. So he goes into some 20 minutes of using the touch screen nav to get us to our hotel. I said STOOOOOOOP., He's flummoxed.

In 4 button presses of my phone, Google maps is giving me nav vectors, blue toothed into my hearing aids. When and only when there are course corrections, otherwise it's all passive. He's stressed because he doesn't know where we are going.

I told him, you demanded to travel with me, I didn't ask you to. MY CONTROLS and processes.    

3 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I don’t think so much it’s nostalgia, but more going with what you know. Remember the first time I rented a car with adaptive cruise. Took me awhile to figure out what the heck was going on but when a semi I had passed awhile back passed me, I realized my habit of just setting cruise and pulling out to pass when needed no longer worked. The car was slowing down to tailgate the car in front of me? Instead of setting the speed and let it go I was now having to manage it? That’s progress?? I shut the cruise off.

It takes some getting used to...

First couple of times I used it, I had it on 3 car lengths, and there was a couple of times these looney Texas drivers did something stupid that almost got me rear ended...

Put it on one car length and like it a lot better...

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Just like that stupid lane sensor.

Sounds like someone has heard that lane sensor yap at them a few times...

I'm familiar 🙂

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Surprised you’re able to disable sensors without the computer objecting anymore. My son simply changed his brakes and he had to buy a new obd tool that would reprogram the brake distance!

That's why I buy 1 model trim above the base model all the time. I can disconnect this crap without comprising other necessity stuff. If you get an option pkg, or higher trim levels, you will experience what your son did, because there are only so many circuits that they can use. So if you disconnect one wire, you screw up 3-5 other things.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It takes some getting used to...

First couple of times I used it, I had it on 3 car lengths, and there was a couple of times these looney Texas drivers did something stupid that almost got me rear ended...

Put it on one car length and like it a lot better...

Sounds like someone has heard that lane sensor yap at them a few times...

I'm familiar 🙂

I don't think that those "looney" texans behind you are actually looney, they are monitoring if there is any reason on gods green earth, for your car to slow down 150 yards (a little dramatic) before you get to the next car. :)

Good ol' boy drivers have always had their own adaptive algorithm/ reasoning tendencies. If your over 50' behind, your wasting time ! :)

2 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I don't think that those "looney" texans behind you are actually looney, they are monitoring if there is any reason on gods green earth, for your car to slow down 150 yards (a little dramatic) before you get to the next car. :)

Good ol' boy drivers have always had their own adaptive algorithm/ reasoning tendencies. If your over 50' behind, your wasting time ! :)

I don't know...going from a far left lane on a 4 lane highway to an exit within 50 yards is kinda looney to me...and it happens every time I'm om Hwy 59...

You gotta see these people to believe it...

• Haha 1

Just now, DWB said:

You still have a job??  😁

Yep, and he's my bitch. It's always a 50/50 proposition. But being 55 yrs old, I do the probability stats WAY before I put the $ on the table. Lead from behind can work with the proper motivations. I don't deserve to be promoted (I know that) and they can't replace me easily (I also know that). I'm in my sweet spot and also their sweet spot. 

Don't touch mine, I'll not slap yours.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know...going from a far left lane on a 4 lane highway to an exit within 50 yards is kinda looney to me...and it happens every time I'm om Hwy 59...

You gotta see these people to believe it...

LOL... Don't worry, my brother drive s like this (ever heard that joke?). When in Rome...... :)