Car Talk (and Truck Talk too)

46 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I traveled with my boss 4-5 months ago. EVERYONE knows that I HATE HATE HATE travling with other people on business trips.

After  1-1/2 hrs of BS that is exactly why I hate other people (you all excluded of course), we make it to the car. NO way he's driving I can assure you that. So he goes into some 20 minutes of using the touch screen nav to get us to our hotel. I said STOOOOOOOP., He's flummoxed.

In 4 button presses of my phone, Google maps is giving me nav vectors, blue toothed into my hearing aids. When and only when there are course corrections, otherwise it's all passive. He's stressed because he doesn't know where we are going.

I told him, you demanded to travel with me, I didn't ask you to. MY CONTROLS and processes.    

In 2005 I went to Rhode Island for a trip working my summer job. I worked for a guy that did EPA Method 9 smoke schools all over the country. Two weeks before I was in Oregon for a week at Umatilla Army Depot nerve agent disposal site. 

Anyway, I'm with a coworker I met the night before. His girlfriend took off to Arkansas with their kids while we were in the middle of Pennsylvania.  So first thing, I have to drop him off at the Boston Airport. So here I am, a 20 year old kid, in Boston with an atlas and $250,000 worth of equipment at 5am.  I get to Rhode Island, set up the equipment and get a hotel room. Go back to Boston to pick the boss up the next day.  He fires the other guy and gives me a $2 raise on the spot. 

The point is I wish I had GPS navigation so I could have explored more with the free time and company card. 

He made up for it the next year by giving me a free weekend in the French Quarter. 

14 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

LOL... Don't worry, my brother drive s like this (ever heard that joke?). When in Rome...... :)

reminds me of the taxi driver joke. Passengers are white knuckling because every stop light the driver blows through the red light! Finally a green light, the driver stops! Flabbergasted the passenger asks why did you stop? Driver says are you kidding me? My brother might be coming!

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

While I like nostalgia, I do enjoy the convenience of modern day vehicles...I've had the anti-collision save my bacon once...Love lane departure and adaptive cruise control...Not to mention the heads up display...And I also like being fed directions from Android Auto and being able to listen to whatever song I want when I want...

Had I been with Lewis and Clark, I guess I'd have been the cook :) 

Adaptive cruise control is the best modern adaptation IMO.  It's not 100% perfect, but 90% there.  I have a touch screen, Apple CarPlay, most all of the bells and whistles.  There are cameras under the side view mirrors that displays the blind spots on my dash which are really great.  I also like the top down view when in reverse.  My screen not only shows the reverse camera, but stitches together a 360* 'satellite' view of my car and it's surroundings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

reminds me of the taxi driver joke. Passengers are white knuckling because every stop light the driver blows through the red light! Finally a green light, the driver stops! Flabbergasted the passenger asks why did you stop? Driver says are you kidding me? My brother might be coming!

That is the exact joke I was thinking of !!!!!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Adaptive cruise control is the best modern adaptation IMO.  It's not 100% perfect, but 90% there.  I have a touch screen, Apple CarPlay, most all of the bells and whistles.  There are cameras under the side view mirrors that displays the blind spots on my dash which are really great.  I also like the top down view when in reverse.  My screen not only shows the reverse camera, but stitches together a 360* 'satellite' view of my car and it's surroundings. 

I'm not gonna lie, I like it a lot. But I can't let a "90% perfect" joke just go away by itself. I mean, it's like " I can still walk with one leg, kinda" thing. :)

But honestly on longer trips, it's really nice that it just follows the flow.

3 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I'm not gonna lie, I like it a lot. But I can't let a "90% perfect" joke just go away by itself. I mean, it's like " I can still walk with one leg, kinda" thing. :)

But honestly on longer trips, it's really nice that it just follows the flow.

Lol I get it. The difference is that my issues with it is circumstantial. Dude with one leg, on the other hand, will always just have one leg regardless of circumstance. For instance when I’m cruising along and the guy in front of me has his blinker on for the exit ramp. He starts slowing for his approach but I’m far enough back to maintain the set speed but the car slows me down anyway.  It can’t read the circumstances on the road. Not a fault of the system. Just what it is. Things like that are the 10% ;)

Edited by Naturalhoosier
  • Like 2

On 5/20/2023 at 8:48 AM, IUFLA said:

I love Android Auto for more than just directions...I use Waze as my map app, and it is excellent at showing traffic, disabled vehicles, junk in the road (essential here) and speed traps...It's saved me a lot of time going to and fro...

I'm a big fan of waze as well as some of the driving tech. Its amazing how much tech  has trickled down to more inexpensive trim levels and models. You can get a $25k vehicle now with LED headlights and lane keeping assist. 

• Like 1

My son and I went to an NHRA event this weekend. First time for both of us. The weather was perfect and it was entertaining but I doubt I'd go see another. 7 hours sitting on a metal bench was a little much. Pretty amazing what these vehicles can do. Motorcycles going 200+ mph. One was driven by a 68 year old- and he has been doing it for 50 years. That's just insane. And those dragsters.... hitting 330 mph in 3+ seconds. Crazy thinking they are accelerating 100mph per second!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess this is car related so I'll ask here. AC is putting out cold air but not cold enough....is it easy to do it yourself or would an appt make more sense?

I think it might depend on your car. There are DIY a/c rechargers you buy (https://www.walmart.com/ip/A-C-Pro-ACP-100-Ultra-Synthetic-R-134a-Car-Refrigerant-Kit-20-oz/353326131?) . I've used this in the past (10 years ago?) and it worked well enough. Especially if you are just trying to get through a summer or two before you replace the car, worth giving it a shot. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think it might depend on your car. There are DIY a/c rechargers you buy (https://www.walmart.com/ip/A-C-Pro-ACP-100-Ultra-Synthetic-R-134a-Car-Refrigerant-Kit-20-oz/353326131?) . I've used this in the past (10 years ago?) and it worked well enough. Especially if you are just trying to get through a summer or two before you replace the car, worth giving it a shot. 

Thank you. Going to try and do it myself. Tom Wood here in town wanted $349 for the AC tune up. All I need is the stuff that makes it colder.....not a new one. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Thank you. Going to try and do it myself. Tom Wood here in town wanted $349 for the AC tune up. All I need is the stuff that makes it colder.....not a new one. Thanks!

You should have a sticker either under the hood somewhere, or the owner's manual that says what kind of coolant you need. In order to do it right, you'll need to buy the gauges and hose connections (check ebay/amazon). Recharging is a piece of cake.

Also, if you have access to an air compressor, blow out your AC radiator from the back side if you can, then hose it down real good (not pressure wash it). You may have a bunch of crud in the cooling fins as well as low on coolant. If you can pull a vacuum on the system, that will tell if you if you a leak some where.

Is this a recent thing? Was it cold enough last summer?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DWB said:

You should have a sticker either under the hood somewhere, or the owner's manual that says what kind of coolant you need. In order to do it right, you'll need to buy the gauges and hose connections (check ebay/amazon). Recharging is a piece of cake.

Also, if you have access to an air compressor, blow out your AC radiator from the back side if you can, then hose it down real good (not pressure wash it). You may have a bunch of crud in the cooling fins as well as low on coolant. If you can pull a vacuum on the system, that will tell if you if you a leak some where.

Is this a recent thing? Was it cold enough last summer?

Just coming back from the track the other day. Went to put AC on and it was cool.....but not cold. Just refuse to pay some of the prices things are being charged for I guess. Stubborn but if I can try to figure it out I will. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just coming back from the track the other day. Went to put AC on and it was cool.....but not cold. Just refuse to pay some of the prices things are being charged for I guess. Stubborn but if I can try to figure it out I will. 

Even if you don’t end up fixing it on your own, it’s still money well spent. The education learned is priceless.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

As my Dad told me when I was a youngster: "Son, you might as well try to fix it yourself first. Because if you have to call the repair guy, he isn't gonna charge you anymore after you F it up, than if you called him in the first place".

That tid-bit has saved me $100's of thousands of dollars over my lifetime in various capacities.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DWB said:

As my Dad told me when I was a youngster: "Son, you might as well try to fix it yourself first. Because if you have to call the repair guy, he isn't gonna charge you anymore after you F it up, than if you called him in the first place".

That tid-bit has saved me $100's of thousands of dollars over my lifetime in various capacities.

My Grandfather was an electrical engineer who was part of the team who first did video phoning back in the 60's and 70's. My Dad was a gear head who loved his Corvette and Pontiac Tempest....you think any of those skill sets made it to my generation? Nada. Not a one. I'm easily the least automotive inclined person in the world other than knowing I need to change the oil every 5k haha.

1 hour ago, DWB said:

My dad said why pay someone else the going rate to do something you can do yourself? Same result!

• Like 2

Update. The apocalypse is now here. I figured out the AC deal thanks to @Reacher and on top of that I learned how to replace light bulbs in driver side front and back. Youtube showed me and it literally took 20 minutes.

For my next trick....I'll be splitting the atom since I'm so scientific and technologically advanced now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Update. The apocalypse is now here. I figured out the AC deal thanks to @Reacher and on top of that I learned how to replace light bulbs in driver side front and back. Youtube showed me and it literally took 20 minutes.

For my next trick....I'll be splitting the atom since I'm so scientific and technologically advanced now.

If you need help with part 2 I’ll hook you up with my older brother the Nuclear Physicist graduate of IU!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

YouTube has saved me thousands of dollars with DIY stuff. Usually the first place I look!  Good feeling of self worth and accomplishment when you fix it yourself. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Next up... The cabin air filter. The dealership charges somewhere around $75 for a $10-15 part that takes 2 minutes to install.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

YouTube has saved me thousands of dollars with DIY stuff. Usually the first place I look!  Good feeling of self worth and accomplishment when you fix it yourself. 

Pre internet, my wife bought me a book by either Home Depot or Popular Mechanic on how to fix common household problems... Saved me a lot of money back when I didn't have much... Coaching me through replacing a stuck drain valve in a washing machine was probably the best thing...

As for YouTube, yeah, it's got some good instructive stuff, but the first time the demonstrator used the word "doojamahicky" or "thingamabob" I usually look for a different source 🙂