Car Talk (and Truck Talk too)

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Pre internet, my wife bought me a book by either Home Depot or Popular Mechanic on how to fix common household problems... Saved me a lot of money back when I didn't have much... Coaching me through replacing a stuck drain valve in a washing machine was probably the best thing...

As for YouTube, yeah, it's got some good instructive stuff, but the first time the demonstrator used the word "doojamahicky" or "thingamabob" I usually look for a different source 🙂

Between my dad, step-dad, grandpa, and uncles I think I learned how to do just about anything house related.   I also built a house in Colorado with an Amish family crew. 

I replaced a tub bearing in a front load washer about 3 years ago from a youtube video. Still don't know how it only took that guy 20 minutes though 😂 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Going to resurrect this thread, because I'm starting a pretty big project on a '21 Ford Transit van (big boy commercial size, like the big Fed Ex vans).

I volunteer for the county Animal Shelter and our charitable group bought this used van to transport adopted dogs to out of state shelters/rescues that in turn, deliver them to local residents. My job now (after finding a low mileage van in VERY short supply, and good shape), is to build the cargo area out to make it "comfortable" for the dogs during long trips. Sometimes 15-20 hours of travel time (with multiple pee/poop stops obviously).

I've attached a pic of the blank slate I'm working with. And will post pictures as I make progress on the build out. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do with it, but would certainly appreciate input from any of you guys on things to incorporate. I'll be wiring additional LED lighting, roof top AC unit, power points, and some storage for medical and travel supplies. Tough part will be putting on the custom cut finished panels after all the other stuff is done.

Please don't hesitate to post your ideas suggestions. I'm all ears!

Cargo area.jpg

Edited by DWB
added pic
  • Like 4

Got the wiring rough-in done for 6 LED lights, 2 oscillating ceiling fans, and two 12v power points. Gonna hook them all up to a switch box for easy use.

I'll have to label all the wires and remove them from the ceiling in order to insulate. That's next, or...I'll install the roof top AC unit. I'll start prepping for insulation tomorrow, have to tape a ton of areas to protect them from over spray. (I'm spray foaming it). 

AC unit is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.  But it's supposed to rain here until Sat. So I'll work on insulation.

(In the 2nd picture, all 3 home-runs of wires are chased behind the headliner, and then down the "B" pillar, and then under the passenger seat where I'll mount the switch box on the side.)

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

• Like 4

Finished spray foaming the van today. Turned out OK. Sure makes a difference in sound deadening and insulation value.

Once I put the "skin" on the inside, it will create yet, another thermo break. AC should work just fine. Mounted a roof top unit on Saturday.

Foam 1.jpg

Foam 3.jpg

• Like 5

17 hours ago, DWB said:

Finished spray foaming the van today. Turned out OK. Sure makes a difference in sound deadening and insulation value.

Once I put the "skin" on the inside, it will create yet, another thermo break. AC should work just fine. Mounted a roof top unit on Saturday.

Foam 1.jpg

Foam 3.jpg

Lookin good man !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got the AC unit all hooked up, and completed the sub-skin of plywood. Over that will be the melamine that you see on the ceiling. Easy to clean and disinfect after each trip of hauling adopted dogs to other shelters/rescue operations.

Plywood install.jpg

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, DWB said:

Got the AC unit all hooked up, and completed the sub-skin of plywood. Over that will be the melamine that you see on the ceiling. Easy to clean and disinfect after each trip of hauling adopted dogs to other shelters/rescue operations.

Plywood install.jpg

Dude, that's close enough to take off south and live a beach life all the way to the southern tip. Yea the dog people will be pissed, but that's a dreamers life experience!

Pack 3 t shirt, 2 pair of shorts and some charcoal (oh some fishing poles). Start driving down the west mexican boarder. They'll enjoy the post cards! GOOOOO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Dude, that's close enough to take off south and live a beach life all the way to the southern tip. Yea the dog people will be pissed, but that's a dreamers life experience!

Pack 3 t shirt, 2 pair of shorts and some charcoal (oh some fishing poles). Start driving down the west mexican boarder. They'll enjoy the post cards! GOOOOO

My exploration days are long gone. Did that in my 30's-50's. Now in my 70's I'm happy to sit in one place for an hour.... (and I hate to fish FWIW)

I still have 40-60 hours of work left to do yet, with installing the final skin. And I get an email from the head of our charity that she wants it by Wed @ noon, to do a trip to Virginia with 9 dogs.

I can say this much...it won't be finished. It'll be road worthy, but not finished.

• Like 3

Almost have the skin on the inside done. But has to wait until later in the week, when we get back from delivering 15 adopted dogs to Virginia (from SC) .  Also have a bunch of "de-bugging" to do, and try to add some more storage space. But...it's coming along.

Almost finished inside.jpg

• Like 7

16 hours ago, DWB said:

Almost have the skin on the inside done. But has to wait until later in the week, when we get back from delivering 15 adopted dogs to Virginia (from SC) .  Also have a bunch of "de-bugging" to do, and try to add some more storage space. But...it's coming along.

Almost finished inside.jpg

Looks fantastic so far. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2023 at 10:50 AM, IUFLA said:

That looks awesome and I know it's a labor of love...

How's the noise factor? I figure you're gonna have some big time barkers in there... 

I wouldn't do this amount of labor for any human, that's for sure...lol.

The noise of the van is really pretty quite, since I spray foamed it. It mitigates the metal rattles completely from the van. But the dogs, man can they bark. Especially the puppies. Worse than a bunch of pampered 2 year old's throwing a hissy fit.

And then there's the car sickness, the poop, the pee, newspaper being converted to paper mache' by the dogs. Nothing but fun times...and oh yes, the smell. That's why we set the van up, so that the 2nd driver (now passenger) can get up and go into the back and clean up any incidents almost immediately while we're moving. Actually it works out really well. And there is no stopping at hotels for the night when you're driving 1000 miles to a destination. Strictly a tag-team approach. 

When we got to the DC area of VA last night about 10 pm, the 15 or so adoptive/foster parents were besides themselves to get their new found friends. Makes it all worth while. Yesterday alone our charitable group saved over 40 animals from being put down. I had 17 three month old puppies and one adult dog in our van. (and 4 cats) Another van had 22-23 dogs that went elsewhere to be saved.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 3

On 6/28/2023 at 4:08 PM, Seeking6 said:

Not to sidetrack the thread so out of curiosity can you give us the backstory on this? You guys offer transport for adopted dogs from shelters? Assuming no breeders,etc....

Anyway that is fantastic. Would love to know more about it.

Our county owned & run animal shelter is supported by a group named "FOTAS". (Friends of the Animal Shelter). I do volunteer work for FOTAS, mainly special projects. (other volunteers walk all the dogs 2-3 times a day, 365, clean out the kennels, etc) My latest project was to procure a van that we could transport (mainly dogs to areas of the east coast) to other shelters/rescue operations that are in need of animals to adopt. Finding a suitable van was not easy at all. I went to FL to look at several, GA, SC, and other places before finding this one in NE Georgia.

I then had to convert it from a blank, steel slate, (no straight lines anywhere) to what you see above. So far I have 150+ hours invested in the conversion. (in a little over 2 weeks). Being a one man band takes more than twice as long as if there were 2 of us working on it at the same time. That 150 hours could easily be cut down to 60-90'ish (total)

By the time we transport the dogs, the adoptive "parents" have lots of pictures, medical records, even media clips showing the behavior of the dog. We disclose if the dog is good with other dogs, children, cats, everything possible. And I can't remember the last time a dog was rejected after adoption from us due to a dog's problem not being disclosed.

We hire 3rd party transport companies to transfer the dogs from SC up and down the entire east coast, including New Hampshire, Mass, VA, all over. Well, those companies don't exactly have geniuses running them, and many are in financial stress to various levels, and the prices are really going up. We thought it would be good for us to have our own van as "back up" so that if one or more, of them goes under, or has a severe break down, we can still get them to people that want them, save those animals from being put down.

We pay for the cost of the transport for animals just from our shelter (funded solely by donations. My wife and I are footing the bill to pay for the van conversion, not the purchase). Other shelters in the country do similar things (although not prevalent). We save an average of 100 animals a month, and make a LOT of families really happy and loved by Man's Best Friend.

Sorry this is so long, but that's the "back-story". Not exciting, but important IMO.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, DWB said:

Our county owned & run animal shelter is supported by a group named "FOTAS". (Friends of the Animal Shelter). I do volunteer work for FOTAS, mainly special projects. (other volunteers walk all the dogs 2-3 times a day, 365, clean out the kennels, etc) My latest project was to procure a van that we could transport (mainly dogs to areas of the east coast) to other shelters/rescue operations that are in need of animals to adopt. Finding a suitable van was not easy at all. I went to FL to look at several, GA, SC, and other places before finding this one in NE Georgia.

I then had to convert it from a blank, steel slate, (no straight lines anywhere) to what you see above. So far I have 150+ hours invested in the conversion. (in a little over 2 weeks). Being a one man band takes more than twice as long as if there were 2 of us working on it at the same time. That 150 hours could easily be cut down to 60-90'ish (total)

By the time we transport the dogs, the adoptive "parents" have lots of pictures, medical records, even media clips showing the behavior of the dog. We disclose if the dog is good with other dogs, children, cats, everything possible. And I can't remember the last time a dog was rejected after adoption from us due to a dog's problem not being disclosed.

We hire 3rd party transport companies to transfer the dogs from SC up and down the entire east coast, including New Hampshire, Mass, VA, all over. Well, those companies don't exactly have geniuses running them, and many are in financial stress to various levels, and the prices are really going up. We thought it would be good for us to have our own van as "back up" so that if one or more, of them goes under, or has a severe break down, we can still get them to people that want them, save those animals from being put down.

We pay for the cost of the transport for animals just from our shelter (funded solely by donations. My wife and I are footing the bill to pay for the van conversion, not the purchase). Other shelters in the country do similar things (although not prevalent). We save an average of 100 animals a month, and make a LOT of families really happy and loved by Man's Best Friend.

Sorry this is so long, but that's the "back-story". Not exciting, but important IMO.

That is just awesome work man. Kudos to you and the whole operation. We went years without a dog and now I can't imagine not ever having one. Just phenomenal stuff!

• Thanks 1

I really do believe that Rescue dogs may be the best companions, because I believe they know, they're getting a 2nd chance, that many other dogs in their position do not.

It's very rare that I see an aggressive dog at the shelter. Now I'm not there everyday to witness the intakes, and I know we have gotten them, but we still try to place them in appropriate homes instead of putting them down. Not always easy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DWB said:

I really do believe that Rescue dogs may be the best companions, because I believe they know, they're getting a 2nd chance, that many other dogs in their position do not.

It's very rare that I see an aggressive dog at the shelter. Now I'm not there everyday to witness the intakes, and I know we have gotten them, but we still try to place them in appropriate homes instead of putting them down. Not always easy.

I work in healthcare and many of our clients (especially at Skilled Nursing, Assisted Living type homes) have been adopting dogs for years. They go around from room to room each day. Spend 15 minutes or so in each place and the joy it brings both sides is unmatched. 

The dogs love the attention, get a safe a place to be at....and the forgotten seniors who are typically left alone get something to look forward to each day.

Won't post anymore on that but to keep the thread on point getting vans or trucks to do that work is just phenomenal. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just in case anyone is ever in the need for some automotive work in Carmel/Westfield. So last week when I started my car it was a bit louder than normal. First thought was did somebody steal my catalytic converter?? Haha.

Anyway Mears in Carmel has been my go to for years and will always be. Took it them....they did complete diagnostic test and said I have a "flex pipe" problem. No clue what that was or is. Anyway they gave me a quote but they said hey...don't do this with us. Call Westfield Tire and Muffler (https://www.westfieldtire.com/)  they can do it for you for far less. Called them up...got the appointment and needless to say I'd recomment them to anyone. Substantial savings and such an ease to work with.

• Like 2