Big Ten cancelling fall football...

11 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If the conferences play and just one player gets sick and dies, whether he caught it from being involved with the sport or not, that conference is going to get hammered.  Statistically they should be fine and I agree with everyone saying stuff happens, but that is not the media environment we are in.  You have a 300 lbs black linemen die from COVID in the SEC (chose that specific example because weight appears to be a factor and the disease seems to disproportionately be impacting African Americans) and you will have everyone from ESPN to BLM all over that school for taking advantage of poor kids to line their pockets.

The schools are kind of in a lose/lose position.

On another note, Nebraska should be told to shut up or leave the conference.  They added little value since their addition.  Small TV market and their b-ball and football team (in particular) have been really mediocre.  

Like I said let them leave and take Rutgers, Maryland and PSU with them.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I had not seen the backpedal...but yeah, from my post above, they got a golden ticket to the most wealthy conference in the country.  If they want to leave for a year to go be Texas's b**** again, I would tell them to not come back.

For me.  The Bugeaters are a legit addition to the B1G. Maryland and Rutgers on the other hand.... not so much.  Biggest game of the season, apart from IU vs PU for me was Nebraska vs Colorado. Always must see tv for both games.

Colorado–Nebraska football rivalry 

Just now, IU Scott said:

I like having Rutgers and Maryland.  Nice to have someone in the conference with worse football programs that we can beat up on.  They also at least bring TV markets with them.  That BTN money allowed our AD to make a bunch of very much needed improvements.

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

For me.  The Bugeaters are a legit addition to the B1G. Maryland and Rutgers on the other hand.... not so much.  Biggest game of the season, apart from IU vs PU for me was Nebraska vs Colorado. Always must see tv for both games.

I like having Nebraska in the conference as well... I hope they get back to playing quality football though.

Honestly, their fans (fans) were the most agreeable visitors when I was a student. You could have a real conversation with them.

10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

The thing is, Nebraska wanted to come to the Big Ten because of the fraternal way the schools acted with each other.  The revenue sharing, voting to get consensus, that was stuff they did not feel they had in the Big 12 because of Texas.  Now they are wanting to go rogue after a short time in the conference.  It is a really bad look.  Particularly when they have not delivered by adding another football team that is regularly getting to good bowl games.  The one thing they were expected to add, they have completely biffed.

Then to go public against the other schools like they did in this situation...bad look.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I always knew you lived in the past. Penn State has been in the B1G for 30 years now. I'm in my early 40s so I remember a conference without them, but not much.

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The thing is, Nebraska wanted to come to the Big Ten because of the fraternal way the schools a ted with each other.  The revenue sharing, voting to get consensus, that was stuff they did not feel they had in the Big 12 because of Texas.  Now they are wanting to go rogue after a short time in the conference.  It is a really bad look.  Particularly when they have not delivered by adding another football team that is regularly getting to good bowl games.  The one thing they were expected to add, they have completely biffed.

Then to go public against the other schools like they did in this situation...bad look.

Can't disagree with anything you have said here.  Still.... would rather have them as part of the B1G.... primarily due to the fact that I consider them more of a Midwestern school, than either Rutgers or Maryland.   And both Rutgers and Maryland also joined the B1G primarily for revenue sharing.  But in terms of IU... they are costing my beloved university more in terms of costs of travel cost.   Was a time when Coach Knight opposed the acceptance of Penn State into the B1G because it would cost more in terms of travel.... and take more time away for his student/athletes to study.  Let's keep the B1G in the Midwest. Where it belongs.  And offer Notre Dame the same deal they have with the conference they joined in for BB.

23 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

is that positive cases to deaths or us population to deaths?

because 166,000 deaths in 328,200,000 isn't .05.  It's .0005.   

166,000 in 5.2 million cases is actually .03

Now...take 40% of those deaths from nursing homes (that is the lowest numbers being reported). That’s roughly 66000 people alone who are at end of life. In 2018 roughly 72000 people over 65 died of the flu alone. Numbers are heavily skewed to our elderly population in the same way. Not saying they aren’t preventable of course it doesn’t help when New York and other states put Covid patients right into the nursing homes...that is just plain murder...to blame a guy that won’t wear a mask compared to the obvious result that will come from that idiotic step is amazing.

Also consider this. In America any death where a person has been determined to have been positive for Covid is a Covid death....even when Covid is not the direct reason for death. That is how we decided to count the deaths. So guy is positive...and even asymptotic dies of heart attack on his dc they report it as a Covid related death. They don’t do this in other countries...they don’t test like us...they lie about their numbers, they do not have transparency. They don’t do the same autopsy and studies of the dead they find. They only report cases in the hospital that leads to death and not the guy they find dead in his shack. You can’t compare numbers because it isn’t being counted and treated the same across the world. I’d love us to do better. The best we can do is keep it out of the nursing homes and the rest of us get some diet and exercise and be healthier. Also maybe young people while they are at it can stop the dumbass vaping and smoking weed that is ruining their lungs and causing other health issues because many of the reported worst cases in young adults have also come from not just obese, Asmatic, and diabetic but from young adults that vape and smoke.

I know they joined together, but I do not think that UMCP and Rutgers should not always be linked to the hip when discussing eligibility for conference entry. 

Aside from the east coast thing (which I understand as an argument), Maryland is much more qualified team to be in the B1G: 

• Serious basketball team
  • Some solid football history (not the "we played in the first game")
  • Peer institution for schools like IU, UM, Minn, Wisc, PU (sorry...), etc.

If they had joined with a better partner (or alone), they would not be as frequently trashed in these discussions.

4 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I know they joined together, but I do not think that UMCP and Rutgers should not always be linked to the hip when discussing eligibility for conference entry. 

Aside from the east coast thing (which I understand as an argument), Maryland is much more qualified team to be in the B1G: 

• Serious basketball team
  • Some solid football history (not the "we played in the first game")
  • Peer institution for schools like IU, UM, Minn, Wisc, PU (sorry...), etc.

If they had joined with a better partner (or alone), they would not be as frequently trashed in these discussions.

Agreed...Maryland is a fine addition with significant marketable attributes. Rutgers was not on that level. I’m sure we all could have added at least a dozen schools more qualified but it was who we could get when we could get them.

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed...Maryland is a fine addition with significant marketable attributes. Rutgers was not on that level. I’m sure we all could have added at least a dozen schools more qualified but it was who we could get when we could get them.

Personally, I wish that Missouri had not joined the SEC 2012. IF we HAD to add teams (which TV people said we did at the time), I think they would have made some sense.

ADDED:

Honestly, assuming the AAU requirement, there are (were) only a handful of possible options: https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members

• Most can be ruled out for sports reason, e.g., Brandeis, Harvard, Rutgers 😄
  • Of the remaining, many can be ruled out because they were not interested, e.g., Texas, UNC
  • Or real crazy distance, e.g. AU, UCLA, Oregon
  • Or do not expand the footprint (i.e. insufficient population), e.g., Iowa St., Pitt
  • From my perusal, that left maybe Georgia Tech, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri - and no options now

39 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

is that positive cases to deaths or us population to deaths?

because 166,000 deaths in 328,200,000 isn't .05.  It's .0005.   

166,000 in 5.2 million cases is actually .03

I multiplied .0005 x 100 to get .05%.  Unless I mathed wrong. 

Deaths compared to total population.

3 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Personally, I wish that Missouri had not joined the SEC 2012. IF we HAD to add teams (which TV people said we did at the time), I think they would have made some sense.

I know we all hate them but I think Louisville made good sense but I know they were focused east coast. I think a school like Pitt fits the B1G standard really well....but you look at markets and maybe UConn or Boston College or Temple but obviously they wanted to be in the largest tv market in the country and NY and St Johns wasn’t going to cut it for football...so?? Guess that answers it.

Nebraska football is hurting BIG time. Can’t under estimate the loss in donors over the past decade and then you start missing seasons and people realize Nebraska football isn’t really missed at all and the money starts shrinking faster. Frost needs to make up ground fast and instead the program is going the other way. Can’t afford to not be out there and getting eyes. They’d love to go back to Texas because without playing those schools anymore it really really is killing their recruiting base from that state. Kids didn’t mind going to Nebraska shen they knew they would be facing Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, TCU, Tech etc but now they aren’t even in the same conference and will be playing in Minnesota etc...yeah tougher sell. 

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I know we all hate them but I think Louisville made good sense but I know they were focused east coast. I think a school like Pitt fits the B1G standard really well....but you look at markets and maybe UConn or Boston College or Temple but obviously they wanted to be in the largest tv market in the country and NY and St Johns wasn’t going to cut it for football...so?? Guess that answers it.

I just think conferences should be regionalized and not stretched all over the country.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I also wonder if schools like Cincinnati weren’t considered because say Ohio St wouldn’t accept them? Regionality and all. Same with Pitt and Penn St. Pitt really makes a lot of sense.

I think there is also a "snob" factor as well. I do not think that the presidents of places like IU, OSU, UM, Minn, Wisc etc. (i.e. "international" caliber schools) want to be associated with schools that they consider "regional."

I am not knocking UC, by the way - I mean Armstrong taught there... just a perception question.

2 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I think there is also a "snob" factor as well. I do not think that the presidents of places like IU, OSU, UM, Minn, Wisc etc. (i.e. "international" caliber schools) want to be associated with schools that they consider "regional."

I am not knocking UC, by the way - I mean Armstrong taught there... just a perception question.

Yeah but why not Pitt...it’s in a huge market and is a natural rival to Penn St. I have no clue what was going on when we added who we did. I do know UL replaced Maryland in the ACC so i guess they could have been an option. Missouri makes sense regionally too obviously.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We all look at just basketball and football when making decisions about conferences but we should look at all sports.  When your conference is spread out all over the place I feel it is hard on the smaller sports especially the travel part.

Good point Scott! Obviously money makers take precedence since they pay for those other sports but it is a good reason..and like others said...prestige/academics too.

Archived