9/11 MAY WE NEVER FORGET

Billingsley99

May the lives remembered, the deeds recognized, and the spirit reawakened be eternal beacons, which reaffirm respect for life, strengthen our resolve to preserve freedom, and inspire an end to hatred, ignorance and intolerance.”

This is part of the mission statement of the National September 11th Memorial and Museum at the World Trade Center in New York City; and in 2020, these words resonate more than ever.  9/11 is a day of remembrance for many of us.  It is a time to remember and honor those lost in the terrorist attacks and to pay tribute to the first responders, and men and women of our armed forces.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

We have been lucky enough to visit all of the 9/11 memorial sites. I will post some pics later. Shanksville Pennsylvania is the 1 that hit me the hardest and was just so surreal. 

Been to Shanksville, but not the others.  Eyes are tearing up just thinking about it.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Been to Shanksville, but not the others.  Eyes are tearing up just thinking about it.

I wish I had the pics with me so I could upload. There is a large rock in the middle of the field where the plane came to rest and on that day that we visited about 4 or 5 deer were right there by the rocks grazing and did not have a care in the world. The peace and presence of GOD was overwhelming. 1 of the most special moments I have encountered.

The Pentagon Memorial just did not emotionally hit me like the other 2. Anytime we head East we have promised to stop at Shanksville it really touched all of us.

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0312318/

Found this a couple years ago. Pretty incredible.

If you google Naudet brothers 9/11 you can watch it on a video streaming site.  

That is the documentary I would show in class. The only actual video of the 1st plane hitting the building and it was by pure accident

I pray for all the family members who lost love ones that day.  I was working as a dispatcher for a vending company that day and at first when someone said a plane hit the towers I just thought maybe it was a pilot error.  When the second hit I new something was not right and nothing felt normal after that.  Normally i take calls all day about machines needing repaired but that day I probably only took 5 that day.  Everyone was watching TV and not worrying about something so minor as a vending machine. 

I hated everything about 9/11 but did like how this country came together during this tragedy.  I just wish we can think back to that time and remember we are one nation under god and not have all the division we see today.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

We have been lucky enough to visit all of the 9/11 memorial sites. I will post some pics later. Shanksville Pennsylvania is the 1 that hit me the hardest and was just so surreal. 

While all the 1st responders at ground zero, and the Pentagon are heroes, the civilians on flight 93 rose up and changed our lives forever.

My wife and I were out this morning getting a breakfast sandwich and coffee and she remarked that the weather today is almost exactly the same as that horrible day. Beautiful blue skies and good temperatures.

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I pray for all the family members who lost love ones that day.  I was working as a dispatcher for a vending company that day and at first when someone said a plane hit the towers I just thought maybe it was a pilot error.  When the second hit I new something was not right and nothing felt normal after that.  Normally i take calls all day about machines needing repaired but that day I probably only took 5 that day.  Everyone was watching TV and not worrying about something so minor as a vending machine. 

I hated everything about 9/11 but did like how this country came together during this tragedy.  I just wish we can think back to that time and remember we are one nation under god and not have all the division we see today.

Well said, Scott. The country definitely came together after that.

Back before I started my current job, I did a lot of old school film photography. Took this shot of the 9/11 Tribute Lights with an old view camera. I think it was like a two minute exposure. It gets very crowded down in Brooklyn Bridge Park with people taking pictures and viewing the lights, but I always liked how it showed the movement of the people. Also the plane trail added some interest that I've never figured out if I liked or not.

7979604889_c6c822df2a_k.jpg

I was on my way to work listening on the radio. After a few minutes, turned around and headed home. Remember watching the coverage all morning- most of the time standing up in my living room.

I highly recommend the book Horse Soldiers which starts with the stories of some our special forces that day who would then become our first people in Afghanistan and was the basis for the movie 12 Strong. https://www.amazon.com/Horse-Soldiers-Extraordinary-Victory-Afghanistan/dp/1416580522

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I talked about that in my classes today.  As a country, we were all pretty much like, "nobody comes on our soil and messes with us."  The whole country was united under the same feelings of anger and pride, and it was something to see.

Archived